1Likes
  • 1 Post By SteveTurbo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-15-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

2013 1.6 Ecoboost problems and dealing with the Ford dealer

I bought a 2013 Ford Escape from my dealer in July of 2016. Since then, it's been in and out of the shop several times because it is consuming coolant. I have learned enough about the 2013 1.6 liter Ecoboost that I know that this is not a good thing, and this engine has a reputation for warped heads and cracked blocks.

So far, the deal has changed out the heater control valve and the water pump. The engine continues to consume fluid so that every few hundred miles, I get a low coolant warning. They guys at the dealer want me to bring it in with the low coolant warning without my putting in fluid.

Luckily, I bought the three year extended warranty, so I could go two more years with them changing out parts.

I sent an email to the sales manager who sold me the car asking him for my options. He wrote back to say that the only thing he can recommend is that I trade it in, and he'll try to get the sales guys to give me a good deal.

Please give me advice here. My first choice is whether to stick it out with this car and just keep taking it back for service over and over until they fix the problem, if ever.

I buy all my cars from this dealer. Please give me suggestions for strategy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-15-2017, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Trading it in might be an option, depending on how much they give you for your FE. You should try and push for a trade in value equal to what you paid for the Escape.

Good luck with this. It sucks you have to experience all of these issues with your FE

2014 Ruby Red Titanium 2.0 AWD
401A, Technology, Sony w/nav, 19" Wheels, Tonneau cover

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 05-16-2017, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Of course your sales guy is going to say to trade it in so he can get another commission.

Call Ford Customer service and have them open a case to track this service issue. As long as you are covered I would keep taking it back. Also the factory powertrain warranty is five years or 60,000 miles, so not sure if you are still covered under that.
AutoCANE likes this.

2013 2.0L AWD Titanium, Titanium Technology Package, Silver Ingot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-16-2017, 01:05 PM

My 2013 SEL w/ the EcoBoost 1.6L is in the shop right now having the engine replaced under the powertrain warranty for the exact same issue. Do not allow yourself to be strung along - there is another thread in this forum with hundreds of posts on this exact same problem.

I never got a real explanation as to why exactly they were putting a new long block in the car - but my supposition is a cracked cylinder head.

The post above regarding calling Ford Customer Service and opening a case to track your issue is good advice - fortunately I had a dealer that stepped up right away and is taking care of the problem without any real battle.

Good luck - I hope that Ford steps up for you and does the right thing!
post #5 of 6 Old 05-17-2017, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

I think I would like the engine replaced under warranty, as you suggest. I will call Ford Customer Service and will open a case. Thanks for all the advice.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-17-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoCANE View Post
I never got a real explanation as to why exactly they were putting a new long block in the car - but my supposition is a cracked cylinder head.
If there is no lower engine damage they wouldn't be replacing the engine, they would just replace the head. It's not an uncommon service procedure, and far cheaper than a whole new engine. Lots less disassembly as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twallace12 View Post
I think I would like the engine replaced under warranty, as you suggest. I will call Ford Customer Service and will open a case. Thanks for all the advice.
Good call getting Ford Customer Service involved, but you can't just ask for a new engine and expect that to happen. Engaging customer service may get engineers involved to help determine the issue, but they will only replace the engine if they determine that to be the most cost-effective manner of resolving the issue.

2014 Escape SE. 2.0L AWD with tow package.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page