5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-11-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Two Weeks with the Escape - A review

I picked up my new 2017 Escape 2.0 EcoBoost Titanium on April 28th. I've got a short commute to and from work, so I've only put about 220 miles on it so far. Here are my Opinions, observations, pros, and cons.

Styling-wise, I really like it. The new nose for 2017 is less distinctive than the older Escapes, but a little more conventional. One of the things that I didn't like about the older models were the exposed windshield washer nozzles. Must nicer having them tucked away under the hood. Looks more sleek and less cheap. Love the revised taillights with the blackened look to them. The 18" 10-spoke wheels are nice, but not my favorite design ever. I really like the optional 19" wheel, but that wasn't in the cards this time around.

The interior is, in my opinion, sort of futuristic looking. The shape of the gauge cluster, the touchscreen housing, and the dashboard in general are pretty interesting. I actually find it fun to look at, and not really that busy or complicated. Seats are comfortable, and I am really enjoying the upright seating position (and so is my back). Memory function is really nice to have if/when someone else needs to drive. The LED interior lighting is a great touch. Dunno if i'll ever use the color-changing function of the accent LED lighting, but hey, it's a cool parlor trick and I can see the appeal for certain customers. Really like that Ford moved the shift lever to a more conventional position, too. Rear seat room is good. I've got a big old carseat in the middle, and in rear facing configuration. Any passengers will be a little tight, but it's perfectly doable for a short trip. Cargo room with the seats up is very good. My stroller fits in there fine with plenty of room to fit other stuff. Should do my family of 3 just fine for a good while.

Visibility I find to be excellent, except for the rear. The two rear headrests are pretty big and block some of the window, but it's nothing that I would think is a problem in normal driving. Besides, the backup camera and sensors do a great job of showing you everything that's behind you, at least when you're in reverse.

The transmission does the job well. It's smooth and responds well to throttle input (downshifts). Shift paddles are a huge improvement over the gear lever rocker switch of older models. They're good to have if you need a quick downshift without applying more throttle.

Start/Stop. I don't have any real problems with the system. I've found that it operates smoothest if you give the trans a little time to reengage before you get on the throttle. My previous three cars were all equipped with DSG dual-clutch gearboxes, and I used to do the same thing from a stop. It made for a much smoother takeoff. I've disabled the system a few times because of heavy traffic, and I can easily and quickly override the system by lifting off the brake a little bit, or hitting one of the shift paddles. All in all, I think it's a good feature, but I'm wondering how much of it is a gimmick, and how much it's really helping.

Brakes are great. I have total confidence in them, especially now that I've gotten used to them. Handling is very good, if a little soft in the corners. Then again. I'm coming from driving nothing but hot hatches, stock and modified. Ride quality is excellent. It's smooth and comfortable. It handles these NYC roads very well.

Sync3 works well enough, but I've been utilizing Android Auto more.

Things I love about my Escape:(in no particular order)
*The 2.0 EcoBoost engine. I'm still breaking the car in, but this engine really has a lot of pull. I like knowing that I have plenty of power to merge and maneuver. Works very well with the transmission, too.
*Power liftgate w. hands-free. I didn't think it would be as awesome as it is. Arms full of stuff? No problem! Kick and stand back to watch the show. Love it. Worth every penny.
*Panoramic sunroof. I love letting the light in. It's fun to open it up all the way so my son can look at something other than the headliner.
*Remote start. We had a particularly hot Saturday a couple of weeks ago, and it was so cool (no pun intended) to start the car from down the block to get the AC going. I can imagine it being even more useful when it's freezing outside.
*Android Auto. So cool to be able to plug in my phone and have Google Maps up on the screen. Haven't played around with music yet, but I'll get to it.

Things that I don't love about my Escape:
*The touchscreen is a little too far away for me to use comfortably. Granted, I'm not a tall guy (5'6"), but I have to reach to get to the screen. Would have been nice if the volume knob was actually another way of navigating the screen instead.
*I find that the transmission isn't always the smoothest when starting off from a stop, either with or without start/stop engaged.
*The transmission does not shift very quickly at all when using the paddles. Maybe I'm just spoiled from my years with DSG transmissions, but my father's Q5 shifts pretty quick in manual mode, and that has a torque converter auto too. The Escape isn't going to carve any canyons, but I'd like a faster shift.
*Dead Pedal/Footrest is sort of at an odd angle. My left foot gets uncomfortable unless I find that Goldilocks position.
*The seats could use a little more bolstering for my taste. I feel like I'm sitting on them, not in them.
*I wish there was a little more storage space under the trunk floor.

All in all, I'm very happy with my Escape. I'm looking forward to many miles of fun!

2017 Titanium - Magnetic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-11-2017, 12:31 PM

Garage
A most excellent write up/review, thank you!!

2017 SE 2.0L EcoBoost, 201A Technology package, Oxford White. Purchased 6/18/2016
post #3 of 12 Old 05-11-2017, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Loved your review. Thank you for posting it

2014 Ruby Red Titanium 2.0 AWD
401A, Technology, Sony w/nav, 19" Wheels, Tonneau cover

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-11-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Glad you enjoyed my write-up.

Another thing I found odd with the Escape is the mix of LED and non-LED lighting. Interior is all LED, except for the trunk (which is dim). License plate lights are not LED, and neither are the puddle lights. I'd have thought that there would have been another LED in the trunk at least. Nothing the aftermarket can't fix, but it just seemed like there could have been use of LED's in those areas, at least for consistency's sake.

Tail lights, too. Brakes are LED, but turn signal and reverse are non-LED. I could kinda see this making sense if there was a full-LED tail light with the 301A package, but there isn't (to my knowledge).

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but just something I noticed.

2017 Titanium - Magnetic
post #5 of 12 Old 05-11-2017, 02:20 PM

Nice writeup! I should update my original post with only a few miles on it. Got it March 28th, and today passed the 3000 mile mark, so it isn't quite getting the miles the car it replaced gets, but we'll see if summer means vacation or not this year.

2017 Escape SE, FWD, 1.5L, Magnetic Metallic, 201A, Nav, Pwr Liftgate
post #6 of 12 Old 05-11-2017, 02:51 PM

Location: City of Temiskaming Shores, Northern Ontario, Canada
Very thoughtful review....be sure to update us with your impressions once you've taken it on a long trip, I'm sure you'll love it even more!

2017 Ford Escape Titanium 4WD
Ingot Silver Metallic
post #7 of 12 Old 05-11-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard35 View Post
Very thoughtful review....be sure to update us with your impressions once you've taken it on a long trip, I'm sure you'll love it even more!
Looking forward to it! I've only had it on the highway a couple of times so far, but it's a nice, stable, and comfortable ride. Again, plenty of power thanks to that 2.0 EcoBoost. Hoping to get away for a night or two this June, so I'm interested to see just how it does when it's got a load of luggage and a few miles in front of it.

2017 Titanium - Magnetic
post #8 of 12 Old 05-11-2017, 04:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynEscape View Post
Glad you enjoyed my write-up.

Another thing I found odd with the Escape is the mix of LED and non-LED lighting. Interior is all LED, except for the trunk (which is dim). License plate lights are not LED, and neither are the puddle lights. I'd have thought that there would have been another LED in the trunk at least. Nothing the aftermarket can't fix, but it just seemed like there could have been use of LED's in those areas, at least for consistency's sake.

Tail lights, too. Brakes are LED, but turn signal and reverse are non-LED. I could kinda see this making sense if there was a full-LED tail light with the 301A package, but there isn't (to my knowledge).

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but just something I noticed.

Plenty of threads on this forum about updating your lights to LEDS.

2017 Lincoln MKC Reserve
White Platinum w/Hazelnut leather
2.3L Ecoboost
Equipment group 300A
Technology Package
Climate Package
18" Wheels

Built 1/27/17

2011 Escape Limited 4WD, 3.0 V-6
Steel Blue w/Charcoal black leather
Loaded
post #9 of 12 Old 05-12-2017, 08:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynEscape View Post

Visibility I find to be excellent, except for the rear. The two rear headrests are pretty big and block some of the window,

I found this too, I just tipped the rear seat headrests forward which helped a lot. IF anyone rides in the back seat, they can just flip them back up.

2017 Escape SE 1.5 AWD
Born in Louisville Ky.
Custom Ordered from Blue Star Ford in Simcoe Ontario.
Build Date: Jan. 11 2017
Put into service: Jan. 23 2017
Primary Features:

DR650S-2CH 64GB with Power Magic Pro, Front & Rear Cameras.
My Ford Touch
Sync 3
A/C Dual Zone Auto Temp Control
Paint: White Platinum
Interior: Medium Light Stone
Power Lift Gate
OEM Mud Flaps
Tom Tom GPS Lov'n it
post #10 of 12 Old 05-12-2017, 01:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyPit1946 View Post
I found this too, I just tipped the rear seat headrests forward which helped a lot. IF anyone rides in the back seat, they can just flip them back up.
That is exactly what I do. Works perfectly.

2017 SE 2.0L EcoBoost, 201A Technology package, Oxford White. Purchased 6/18/2016

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page