LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 08-07-2013, 04:56 PM

Garage
Plastic bumper repair

Anyone know if there is a product that would fix a few scratches on the rear plastic bumper? On the top part (only visible when you are right behind the vehicle looking from above) I sort of scratched it. They aren't deep scratches, but I don't really know what I can use to cover them up. Any suggestions?

2013 Ford Escape Titanium FWD, White Platinum, Everything on it except the trailer hitch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Meguiars' puts out some, and Chemical guys has a sample set for like 20.00
#3 Old 08-07-2013, 05:12 PM

Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0
Worked great removing the scratches after I did some paint chip repair sanding.

2014 C-Max Energi
302A Package
Sterling Gray
#4 Old 08-07-2013, 05:28 PM
JMR
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz212 View Post
Anyone know if there is a product that would fix a few scratches on the rear plastic bumper? On the top part (only visible when you are right behind the vehicle looking from above) I sort of scratched it. They aren't deep scratches, but I don't really know what I can use to cover them up. Any suggestions?
I've been looking into something similar, since I recently got some scrapes/scuffs on the cream-colored plastic trim inside my cargo area (had to carry a piece of furniture that had to be jammed in to fit). What I've learned is that most scratch removers, plastic polishes, etc., are meant for smooth surfaces. On a textured surface, they might eliminate the scratch, but would leave you with a shiny, polished area in the middle of the otherwise grainy-looking plastic.

I think that what you (and maybe I) need instead is something to fill in the mark rather than abrade it away. Something similar to those touchup pens made for paint scratches, but intended for plastic instead. If you can't find such a product, you might try a Sharpie (permanent marker) in gray. 12 Sharpie Fine Point Earl Gray Permanent Markers on eBay! Go over the scratch with the pen, then apply a trim sealant or dressing to the entire bumper. I bet it would look better than it does now.
#5 Old 08-07-2013, 06:00 PM
JMR
Super Moderator

Garage
Addendum: If you want to be hard-core about it, this video tells you everything you could ever need to know, including identifying specific plastic epoxy fillers, retexturing paints, and OEM-color topcoat plastic paints.

My guess is that you'll choose to live with the scratches before resorting to this particular set of techniques.
#6 Old 08-07-2013, 06:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR View Post
I've been looking into something similar, since I recently got some scrapes/scuffs on the cream-colored plastic trim inside my cargo area (had to carry a piece of furniture that had to be jammed in to fit). What I've learned is that most scratch removers, plastic polishes, etc., are meant for smooth surfaces. On a textured surface, they might eliminate the scratch, but would leave you with a shiny, polished area in the middle of the otherwise grainy-looking plastic.

I think that what you (and maybe I) need instead is something to fill in the mark rather than abrade it away. Something similar to those touchup pens made for paint scratches, but intended for plastic instead. If you can't find such a product, you might try a Sharpie (permanent marker) in gray. 12 Sharpie Fine Point Earl Gray Permanent Markers on eBay! Go over the scratch with the pen, then apply a trim sealant or dressing to the entire bumper. I bet it would look better than it does now.
Thats pretty much what I'm looking for. I already tried to buff it out but nothing really happened. So it does need to be filled in a little. The sharpie might work, I'll have to give it a try.

The Meguiars products are for the parts with paint, I don't think that will work for the dull grey bumpers.

2013 Ford Escape Titanium FWD, White Platinum, Everything on it except the trailer hitch!
#7 Old 08-08-2013, 05:39 PM

Do you have a photo of the scratch? That might help in judging if its repairable.
#8 Old 08-08-2013, 11:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnlauzon View Post
Do you have a photo of the scratch? That might help in judging if its repairable.
Ill shoot one tomorrow so you guys could see

#9 Old 08-09-2013, 10:11 AM

if its the unpainted it'll be tough. you can usually make it look better with some trim darkener.
#10 Old 08-09-2013, 05:40 PM

Garage
Here are the pictures of the scratch...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page