3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 08-09-2013, 01:36 PM

Is the Ford remote starter any good?

Hi everyone! I'm putting the final touches on a purchase for a 2014 SE Escape on Sunday, and we're going to go through all the final options, payments, etc. I'm moving on from a 2006 Honda Civic, so I'm quite excited for the Escape!

Anyways, I have a quick question for all the Ford experts in here. I live up in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, where we have wicked winters, and a car starter is pretty much a necessity. When I bought my Civic, I had a nice aftermarket starter installed, which had a 4,000 ft range.

Now from what I understand, Ford has a remote starter... I'm not sure of the price, but that's not really an issue, as I find it's worth it to get a good one. Is the Ford one decent? I'd much rather to go through Ford, as aftermarket ones can possibly void the warranty from what I understand? I'm just wondering if anyone here has one, and what their thoughts are on it.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-09-2013, 01:40 PM

Oh sorry, one other question... do they have a 2 way option? I park about a 5 min walk from work, and really need a 2 way remote, so I know if it started or not.

Thanks again!
#3 Old 08-09-2013, 01:40 PM
JMR
Super Moderator

Garage
Read this thread: Best remote starter for SE?

The primary complaint appears to be the door-generated automatic shut-off.
#4 Old 08-09-2013, 02:27 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaga View Post
Hi everyone! I'm putting the final touches on a purchase for a 2014 SE Escape on Sunday, and we're going to go through all the final options, payments, etc. I'm moving on from a 2006 Honda Civic, so I'm quite excited for the Escape!

Anyways, I have a quick question for all the Ford experts in here. I live up in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, where we have wicked winters, and a car starter is pretty much a necessity. When I bought my Civic, I had a nice aftermarket starter installed, which had a 4,000 ft range.

Now from what I understand, Ford has a remote starter... I'm not sure of the price, but that's not really an issue, as I find it's worth it to get a good one. Is the Ford one decent? I'd much rather to go through Ford, as aftermarket ones can possibly void the warranty from what I understand? I'm just wondering if anyone here has one, and what their thoughts are on it.

Thanks in advance!
. I have remote start I think it's awesome. used in winter I have never had a problem with the remote start.
#5 Old 08-09-2013, 02:45 PM

WOW, that's a terrible feature!!! Looks like I'll skip the one at the dealership and go aftermarket. I can't believe they would shut it off to open the door.

Thanks for the help!
#6 Old 08-09-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR View Post
Read this thread: Best remote starter for SE?

The primary complaint appears to be the door-generated automatic shut-off.
. this has never happened on my escape
#7 Old 08-09-2013, 06:47 PM

Yes, if you have a car that has "MyKey"...the car will shut off when you open the door. So the car has to be re-started manually again. So you essentially are starting the car 2 times. I did see a PDF file posted to one site with a fix for this, but I am not brave enough to try it. I also understand that dealerships have been warned not to over-ride this feature at a customer's request. And no, it is not a 2-way remote. The horn honks when you start the car so that you know it is started. I just looked at the manual and it doesn't even say what the range is.
#8 Old 08-09-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyo57 View Post
Yes, if you have a car that has "MyKey"...the car will shut off when you open the door. So the car has to be re-started manually again. So you essentially are starting the car 2 times. I did see a PDF file posted to one site with a fix for this, but I am not brave enough to try it. I also understand that dealerships have been warned not to over-ride this feature at a customer's request. And no, it is not a 2-way remote. The horn honks when you start the car so that you know it is started. I just looked at the manual and it doesn't even say what the range is.
I have the Escape titanium 2013 when I remote start my car the horn does not Honk. my car also has the my key remote. The car does not shut off when I open the door this has never happened when I open the door and get in the car I have to press the brake and a push button start and now I'm ready to go. At no point in this operation does my car shut off opening and closing the door Dose not shut off the car.
LightBright likes this.
#9 Old 08-09-2013, 08:12 PM

Same here ,works great. I started it from 300 feet, but I saw somewhere
That the range is like 500 or 600 feet. Never tried it that far tough.
And no it does not stop when you open the door.

2013 Ruby Red Titanium 4WD
Nav-Full leather-Tech park package-OEM moulded mudguards, wheel locks,Console tray!,
OEM cargo organizer
Full Weathertech-Curt Hitch
Led license-cargo-puddle-mirror flasher upgrade
Silverstar cornering bulbs, PIAA xtreme white fog bulbs
Underhood led lights, winter tires&rims with TPMS
Coming up: front tint, led flashers front and back & brake. LED red inside door marker
#10 Old 08-09-2013, 08:20 PM
JMR
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Same here ,works great. I started it from 300 feet, but I saw somewhere
That the range is like 500 or 600 feet. Never tried it that far tough.
And no it does not stop when you open the door.
The factory remote starter that comes with Escapes that have the push-button start (2013 SEL & Titanium; 2014 Titanium) is different from the dealer-installed remote starter that Ford sells for the SE.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page