1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 07-16-2013, 08:17 AM
JMR
Super Moderator

Garage
MyFord Touch class action suit filed

Lawsuit Filed by Hagens Berman against Ford Motor Co. Alleging MyFord Touch System Defective | Fort Mill Times - Fort Mill, SC

Don't hold your breath waiting for compensation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-16-2013, 08:58 AM

First of all, Mercury vehicles do not have MyFord Touch. This is frivolous and will go nowhere, just another ambulance chaser. Since the 3.5.1 update, my system has been flawless.

2014 C-Max Energi
302A Package
Sterling Gray
#3 Old 07-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Where I agree with you that the lawsuit is an incorrect option to go against Ford, version 3.5.1 has been far from flawless, there are glitches, and features that are on there but not offered on the Escape, yet. 1 year with 2013 model being out, the 2014 model being released and still not fixed. However, there's gotta be a balance of lighting a fire under Ford MFT Team and not getting a rushed buggy update.

How comfy would you be, that a tech comes out to you and the explanation of why the system reboots itself while using the navigation - about 100 miles into your trip, is because the system is overloading. Now my set up was. my iPhone is hooked up via USB - to play iTunes, and charge my phone, Phone is synced, climate control on, and using Navigation to manage traffic route. I was told I am doing too much for the system and thats why it freezes and reboots. Imagine that, they sell me on the MFT, and what it can do, I use partial of its features and designed duties, and its too much. My question is, who built it, so it would work half the time?

In 3.5.1 version if you switch out of park into reverse before MFT is fully loaded there's a good chance you will knock your reverse camera settings out of whack.

3.5.1. is slow to respond (screen refresh) to finger touches, as well as voice commands would cancel itself out.

The tech told me the answer to my issues would be to 1 x week to do a master reset. Now I ask you, how reasonable that sounds, since the Dealer did that, I lost all my quick dial contacts, Previous destinations, favorite destinations, Satellite Presets, backgrounds, saved and displayed, Phone has to be repaired among other small system defaults.

Wouldn't be nice if there was a button, to plug in a USB, and hit. Backup- and when master reset is finished, restore settings and presets?

Imagine paying what you did for this vehicle and having to do this 1 x week.

2013 Escape, not directed at you, just ranting and raving, and just point out some weaknesses of the 3.5.1

But I digress, lawsuit, not so much a good idea, but masses complaining of the same issues, forces them to fix them.
Roach likes this.
#4 Old 07-16-2013, 01:28 PM

Interesting....

What does this mean for us? More updates?
#5 Old 07-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Technically speaking, they still don't have app link available for us FE owners, especially going to Syncmyride site and seeing all the features it "would" provide to us.
#6 Old 07-16-2013, 02:33 PM
JMR
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnlauzon View Post
Interesting....

What does this mean for us? More updates?

Right now, the suit doesn't necessarily mean anything. Ford will no doubt attempt to have it dismissed, and should that effort fail, the next hurdle would be class certification (i.e., a decision whether the members of the group have enough in common to warrant litigating as a class). If certification were denied, the suit would become a glorified lemon law action with a handful of plaintiffs, and probably would achieve nothing. Ford probably would oppose certification in general and also with respect to certain owner subsets (to keep the class as small as possible if it were certified). E.g.:
  • MFT has evolved. Owners who have been using ver. 3.5.1 from the get-go haven't had the same bad experiences as owners who had to pioneer the earlier versions.
  • MFT is implemented differently in different vehicles. The interface inconveniences and safety risks that allegedly plague, say, a 2011 Edge may not be present in a 2013 Escape, because we have more hard controls.
Assuming class certification occurred, the case would continue until either disposed of through a decision (trial or summary judgment) or settled. I wouldn't assume big bucks for class members in a potential settlement. Billions of dollars could be required for that. The attorneys' fees would be paid by Ford in cash, but the compensation to the class members probably would be more along these lines:
  • Free extended factory warranty (extra year or two) on MFT systems.
  • Free dealer installation, upon customer request, of all future MFT updates issued by Ford (no $50 charge).
  • Free extended subscription to Sync services.
  • Coupon for $250 off your next Ford vehicle! (Coupons are a common but often useless way of compensating members of a retail customer class.)
#7 Old 07-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR View Post
Right now, the suit doesn't necessarily mean anything. Ford will no doubt attempt to have it dismissed, and should that effort fail, the next hurdle would be class certification (i.e., a decision whether the members of the group have enough in common to warrant litigating as a class). If certification were denied, the suit would become a glorified lemon law action with a handful of plaintiffs, and probably would achieve nothing. Ford probably would oppose certification in general and also with respect to certain owner subsets (to keep the class as small as possible if it were certified). E.g.:
  • MFT has evolved. Owners who have been using ver. 3.5.1 from the get-go haven't had the same bad experiences as owners who had to pioneer the earlier versions.
  • MFT is implemented differently in different vehicles. The interface inconveniences and safety risks that allegedly plague, say, a 2011 Edge may not be present in a 2013 Escape, because we have more hard controls.
Assuming class certification occurred, the case would continue until either disposed of through a decision (trial or summary judgment) or settled. I wouldn't assume big bucks for class members in a potential settlement. Billions of dollars could be required for that. The attorneys' fees would be paid by Ford in cash, but the compensation to the class members probably would be more along these lines:
  • Free extended factory warranty (extra year or two) on MFT systems.
  • Free dealer installation, upon customer request, of all future MFT updates issued by Ford (no $50 charge).
  • Free extended subscription to Sync services.
  • Coupon for $250 off your next Ford vehicle! (Coupons are a common but often useless way of compensating members of a retail customer class.)
IMHO, waste of a class action.
#8 Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 PM
JMR
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotattitude View Post
IMHO, waste of a class action.
Maybe, maybe not. The plaintiffs' law firm has achieved some success with another automotive class action filed in the same court, IN RE: TOYOTA MOTOR CORP. UNINTENDED ACCELERATION MARKETING, SALES PRACTICES, AND PRODUCTS LIABILITY LITIGATION. A settlement in that action has been preliminarily approved by the court.

The Toyota litigation involves a defect that most car owners would regard as significantly more serious than a malfunctioning infotainment system. No doubt that is why the MFT suit includes some allegations relating to safety. But the tentative Toyota settlement is pretty substantial:
  • $500 million settlement fund, half to compensate owners for the diminished value of their cars, and half to compensate owners who don't get a brake-override system
  • Installation of a brake-override system in 2.7 million vehicles (supposedly costing $406 million)
  • Extended warranty on certain drivetrain components ($200 million)
  • $30 million for auto safety research and education
  • $200 million in attorney fees for class counsel
I imagine that the MFT suit is an attempt to duplicate the success (to this point) of the Toyota class action. As I noted in a previous post, it's hard to see the MFT flaws generating the same size settlement pot, but now we can see why they're trying.
#9 Old 07-16-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotattitude View Post
The tech told me the answer to my issues would be to 1 x week to do a master reset. Now I ask you, how reasonable that sounds, since the Dealer did that, I lost all my quick dial contacts, Previous destinations, favorite destinations, Satellite Presets, backgrounds, saved and displayed, Phone has to be repaired among other small system defaults.

Wouldn't be nice if there was a button, to plug in a USB, and hit. Backup- and when master reset is finished, restore settings and presets?

Imagine paying what you did for this vehicle and having to do this 1 x week.
Sorry to hijack the thread...

There is a way to reboot and save your settings.

Read this:

outofmytouch - delayed reboot app
#10 Old 07-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNDHOG View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread...

There is a way to reboot and save your settings.

Read this:

outofmytouch - delayed reboot app
Thanks I know of that, problem is that any hi jacking or stuff like that can void the warranty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page