2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

2013 1.6-Liter Ford Escape Recalled Fourth, Fifth Time for Fires

41K views 58 replies 19 participants last post by  35073 
#1 ·

Ford issued two new recalls related to the 2013 1.6-liter Escape today, marking the fourth and fifth call back to address fire problems since its introduction.

In the U.S. almost 140,000 Escapes from the 2013 model year equipped with 1.6-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engines fall under the recall. NHTSA documents show that Ford began the campaign because of new reports about engine fires.

The company says overheating of the engine cylinder head may cause cracks, leading to oil leaks and a fire. So far, 13 fires have been reported in connection to the defect and so far, there haven’t been any injuries reported.

Ford is also bundling almost 9,500 of those Escapes in another recall that requires the vehicles to be inspected to prevent a fuel leak that could also cause a fire. Globally, the first recall affects 161,344 units while the smaller recall covers 11,821.

Owners with affected vehicles will be notified in late January to bring their vehicle in to a Ford dealer for ”enhancements to the engine shielding, cooling and control systems made to their vehicles.”

See less See more
#3 ·
I'll bet the cracked head is an effect of losing all coolant and not shutting down the engine. Losing the coolant may be caused by inadequate or stopped coolant flow. Bad water pump or valve?

Clearly, there is more to this story. Somewhere out there is somebody who knows..."The Rest of the Story."

#4 ·
Glad I got the 2.0 is all I can say. Sorry for all the 1.6 people who have been dealing with all these issues. Hope the 1.6 in the wife's fiesta doesn't share any of these problems

#5 ·
I found this from Dec 10, 2012: Ford blames coolant system for Escape, Fusion fires

Ford Motor says that it has pinpointed the cause of overheating in the 2013 Fusion sedans and Escape crossovers with a 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine, ending a mystery that began with a big recall last week.

It says the issue can be fixed with a simple software update.

Starting next week, owners of the 89,153 vehicles recalled will be urged to go to a Ford dealer to have the car's electronic controls "flashed" with new software aimed at ensuring the cooling system won't allow the turbocharged engine to dangerously overheat.

Ford hopes it can quickly close the embarrassing period in which it was forced to order the recall but could not immediately pinpoint a cause or say how it was going to fix it. In the recall announcement, owners were urged to contact Ford dealers to arrange for loaner cars until the problem could be fixed.

The problem, it turns out, was a combination of two issues, says Raj Nair, Ford's vice president of global product development. "We had a sequence of events that caused the cooling system software to restrict coolant flow," he says. Most of the time, he says, that would not be a big deal.

But if the car has another cooling system issue that could result in low pressure, such as a loose filler cap or a pinhole-size puncture in a hose, the coolant could boil. If the coolant boils over, the engine goes into extreme overheating, which can result in fluids leaking, coming into contact with the hot exhaust system and potentially causing a fire. Ford said it has seen 12 fires in Escapes and one in a Fusion.

The coolant needs of various parts of an engine vary with conditions, such as cold weather or during warm-up. Ford engineers found that in certain conditions, coolant was being directed into the radiator to be cooled, but briefly — such as for 15 seconds — was not flowing back into the engine.

That, too, normally is not a problem — the engine easily can handle the very short time without coolant return. But, again, if another issue has resulted in low pressure, the coolant level is insufficient.

The software flash will ensure that water is not directed into the radiator unless the thermostat is open. While cars have had heat issues since the dawn of the automotive age, the ability to fix them by sending new instructions to computers that control every facet of an engine's operation shows how automakers are incorporating the latest technology.

"It's a new-school solution for an old-school problem," says Rebecca Lindland, research director for IHS Automotive. She says that if Ford's solution works, the automaker is unlikely to feel residual sales effects.

Nair says the repair will take about half a day. Mechanics will check the car's cooling system to make sure the car has not overheated already.

This is the third recall of the Escape with this engine for separate fire risks since its introduction last summer — the first for a defective fuel line and the second for a coolant plug on the engine. The redesigned Fusion just went on sale this fall.

Nair says Ford has full faith in the 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine, which has been used in Europe since 2010. More than 80,000 have been made in Europe, where there have been no recalls but where the engine has a different cooling system.

Nair says the recall won't have any material effect on Ford's earnings. The cost will be covered by a warranty reserve.

So cars built since then should not have the problem? :rolleyes:

Reactions: michel416
#6 · (Edited)
Ford Recalls Ford Escape For Sixth Time In 18 Months Over Fire Risk

quote from article

"If you have a 1.6-liter Escape, Ford isn't telling you to stop driving it this time and says it will begin telling you to take your car to a dealership in January. If you have to have an Escape, the 2.0-liter Ecoboost might be worthy of strong consideration now."

#7 ·
There is more and more objective evidence that the 1.6 is just a bad design and not ready for prime-time. Does ANYONE believe that a "software update" will fix this thing? Perhaps those folk that believe in the Easter Bunny and Satan Claws.
This is one of the problems with having draconian C.A.F.E. rules shoved down the OEM's throats, and they rush a product to market without adequate testing, something the American manufacturers are guilty of all too often. You won't see this debacle from say...Mercedes, who usually spends 5 - 7 years developing a product before taking it to market.

And as the engines get smaller and smaller and thus strained more and more, we are going to see a lot more of this sort of thing. Car buyers are a fickle crowd, we all want power but some think they can get power AND economy and...that just isn't going to happen.

#8 ·
Since everything is computerized, and software dependent these days, a software update may very well be the answer. 'Nuther thing I'm wondering, even though the engine is rated for 87 octane, maybe high test is better - burns cooler, less susceptible to detonation, etc?

#13 ·
So - I contacted Ford via email directly with my concerns/displeasure on the recalls once again on the 1.6 ltr engine. I'm not a happy camper and though a loyal Ford customer for years I am now losing faith and confidence in my car, and truly questioning the safety of continuing to drive it with my family in it. This is now really the fourth engine/fire related recall - two on overheating and two on the possible fuel leak.
Sadly, I love this car (handling, looks, features, power etc.) more than any car I have had to date.
I also wanted to see if there was something they can do for those of us who may want to trade the 1.6 in for a 2.0. Problem is, I looked into it last week - and after only a year in - at least for me, it would be a really bad move financially to do so at this point in the game. The trade in is low compared to the cost of a new one.
To my surprise, I received an email from Ford right away, and a call within just a few hours from a Ford customer service rep. They indicated they would be looking into whether or not my car qualifies for the lemon laws in my state and the buy back program.
I have no idea where this will lead, but I will say I was at least impressed that they got back to me so quickly. I should hear more this week.

#14 ·
I also wanted to see if there was something they can do for those of us who may want to trade the 1.6 in for a 2.0. Problem is, I looked into it last week - and after only a year in - at least for me, it would be a really bad move financially to do so at this point in the game. The trade in is low compared to the cost of a new one.
That's not surprising, unfortunately, but you wouldn't have to buy a new one. You could buy a used Escape with the 2.0L and approximately the same wear and tear as your current car. You'd still probably take a hit financially, but it would be smaller.

To my surprise, I received an email from Ford right away, and a call within just a few hours from a Ford customer service rep. They indicated they would be looking into whether or not my car qualifies for the lemon laws in my state and the buy back program.
Ford raised the lemon law issue on its own? That does seem unusual. Hope they investigate aggressively, then. Good luck to you.

Reactions: 2014Escape
#15 ·
They did raise it on their own! I too was surprised.

#17 ·
Yeah - I even debated posting. But - I am encouraged they seem to be wanting to help ( at least at this point). By the way JMR - not too many used 2013 on the lots up here. I would have to compromise on colors and features I fear if I did that, and I am not sure at this point I should have to.

#18 ·
At this point, I don't have any real concerns about my engine. The problems seem to have been with a certain group of 2013 vehicles with 1.6 liter engines.
According to the Ford website, after punching in my VIN, it was listed that there are no recalls for my FE.

Lets look at the problems:
Defective fuel lines installed on some 1.6's, which led to fires.
Defective repairs of this issue, which have caused concern for future fires.
Out of tolerance freeze plugs popping out - shame on the QC department there - possibly causing fires.
Software glitches which possibly lead to overheating.

None of these are innate problems with the 1.6, they are simply programming and assembly errors for early production units.

Apparently, all of these have been caught and resolved. Let's hope that there are no other hidden errors lurking in the 1.6.

For now, I'm going to have faith that the problems have been resolved, and am going to expect safe and reliable performance from my 1.6.
(but then again, if Ford offers an even 2.0 for 1.6 swap, I'd be all over that one)

#19 ·
I was visiting MyFord and noticed I was flag'd for a recall (ID: 13S12 - Risk of localized overheating of the engine cylinder head that may lead to oil leak fires). So, I called my dealer and spoke to a Service Representative. He said they have been getting a bunch of calls but they have no fix right now. He suggested I call back after the first of the year. Very interesting...:( Not sure why Ford would flag a recall and have no fix? He couldn't answer that question - very interesting...:(

#20 · (Edited)
Yep - that is the same info I got on this recall as well....along with - "but if you see anything unsual with your temperature or warning lights - be sure to bring it in right away". CYA

There a couple of threads on here regarding this issue - cannot recall which one I posted that too before....think it was this one:

2013 / 2014 Ford Escape Forum > 2013+ Ford Escape Tech Section > Engine and Technical Discussion New Recall for 2013 Escape 13S12 New Recall for 2013 Escape 13S12 under Engine and Terchnical discussion.

Reactions: VPNAVY
#23 ·
The person who responded to my email was Al. I actually did not catch the name of the man who called me. That was all the same day I contacted Ford, which I thought was pretty impressive. That said, I have not yet heard back. They said they had filed all of the paperwork and would contact me when they know more, they thought that would be within 2-3 days....I talked to them on 11/27....so I'm not sure now what is going on. With the holiday in there I thought I would call again tomorrow if I do not hear back.

#24 ·
Oh and another thing, Ford rigged the OBD on this car. If you are having issues, you won't get a check engine light and you won't be able to read it yourself. Anytime my car went over temp I didn't get a check engine light and only they were able to pull a code. I've even tested this out for other things.....

If you don't believe me, try unplugging one of your cylinders to make it misfire. I've screwed up putting on my coil packs correctly once so I know it instantaneously happens to show on the OBD and dash. You won't be seeing any flashing check engine light or get any codes. I've seen this on the F150 forum that they've noted the rigged OBD too. Apparently it's to keep people from 'freaking out'.

#31 ·
The delayed OBD response is to prevent people from "freaking out" over an occasional "burp". It is quite normal for the system to record these occasional faults as "pending codes", but not display them until the problem begins to become persistent.
The dealer's scanner can see the pending codes, but your CEL will not light until the detected fault becomes a serious issue - then it becomes an active code.
A pending code will not become active until it repeats itself a defined number of times within a defined time period.
Also, many codes will self clear, if the incident triggering it does not happen again within a certain period of time or distance traveled.

#25 ·
Okay. Ford told me today they have accepted my vehicle into the Ford buyback program. I can either have them repurchase my vehicle for the MSRP less a mileage fee (mileage calculated from the first recall over a year ago), or receive paid MSRP toward a new Ford vehicle. I have to say my faith has been restored in Ford Motor Company and they have retained a loyal customer. I am still in a bit of shock over the whole thing - but they stepped up. Not once, but twice when for the first recall they had a rental car waiting for me that they funded for 5 weeks. Not all car companies would do this - and I think that they could have made a case that not all of these recalls were related - but they chose to do right by their customers.

Jersey Girl - you should contact them again, I know every situation is different (they did an investigation before approving this for me) - but maybe the official recall has now made your situation different.

Reactions: djkfh and FEfanboi
#36 ·
Excellent!! Happy to hear this. I really think Ford is doing right by us, but am looking forward to reading the packet in the mail when it comes for the details. It sounded almost too good to be true on the phone! :)

#39 ·
Bjeans - Curious on your comment about the wheels? I am looking at options and likely will go with the Titanium 2.0 - but is there something in particular you do not like about the 19" wheels? I have the alloy wheels on my 2013 SEL, but it looks like for me to get those in 2014 I will have to go with the 19".

#40 ·
I like the 19" wheels a lot - how they look and ride (though the ride may not feel as smooth as with 18").

Except: 1) there are few options for 19" tires and they can be hard to find in an emergency (I had a blow-out); 2) are more expensive; and 3) I'm worried these low-profile tires won't do well in snow. (I might buy a snow tire/wheel package that costs about the same as just 19" tires. In the past all-weather 18" were fine.)

#48 ·
Just goes to show us how minor the recall really was. Seems to have affected only a small number of early production 1.6 liter engines.
Obviously a big thing to those affected, but not big in the "grand scheme of things", plus Ford responded quickly, unlike other carmakers.
The only other thing I think Ford can do is to totally replace the affected engines with new ones.

#51 ·
to update this thread a bit.
ford is still having issues with the early 1.6 motors and loosing coolant. what happens after the last recall that modified the cooling system hoses and programing,

if the coolant levels falls below the low level line by about 1 or 1.5 times of the distance of the full and low lines. first the dash system will first come on saying coolant low, stop now. then the programing reduces the power level to just enough to make about 5 miles per hours. for just a few min's.

In my case when it first happened I was interstate route 80 east in Paterson, new jersey [ not a safe area to start with] where it is 5 lanes wide, try getting off that road safely when you can't get over 5 mph! thank god there was a state trouper very near by to help me get off the road . filling the bottle with drinking water and about 6 try's at restarting I got back full power. but still a flashing check engine lamp. never did I have a miss fire only what seems like a loose of power from that of when it was new , to me almost like the turbo had failed

after many trips back to the dealer to pressure test and finding no external leaks over another 18.000 miles , the ford tech line told them to do a over night pressured test/soak/ pull the spark plugs and use a bore scope to look for coolant on the pistons, I was allowed to be there when the tech pulled the spark plugs and looking at the camera of the bore scope . sure enough there was coolant on the pistons. it looked almost like rust spots, to a untrained eye , another call to the help line for a special code, to allow a motor replacement , ford ships them over night a special replacement service engine, better known to mechanics and others as a full long block.

there is no cylinder head listed as available they were simply told NA , use part number CJ5Z-6006-C which is the superseded number for a 2014 engine.
my dealer has now had 7 2013 1.6 motors , 1 in a focus with 1.6 leaking issues and had another towed in the day I picked ours back up,

seems to what I was told the heads are micro cracking allowing coolant in very small amounts to get burned in combustion and go out the tail pipe in the form of a black oily fluid and have a stink [like a burning cigar as my wife put it] to me being a retired tech it was the stink of burning antifreeze but with out the smoke cloud one would normally see when a head cracks or a head gasket fails.

on edit

I should note that with the new motor the car again has the zip of when new, no more stink other then the stink of raw gasoline from what turned to be a loose evap connection after it threw the MIL on and a fast fix

#52 ·
another major note.

for all out safety, should anyone be driving and the low coolant level lamp start to light up.
DON"T think you can keep going, and make a exit, GET off the road and call ford roadside for help. you only have a very short amount of time before the program cuts the power levels,
that very first warming is get your car safely off the road as fast as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.