5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 10-01-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Driveway layout- HELP! :)

Hi,

I am having my house built and this is the proposed laneway.

Because of a storm sewer, it is not possible to have it straight on the right hand side.

Would you accept this kind of laneway, if not the other option is to put the garage on the other side (left instead of right).

Let me know your thoughts on this please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2329-2.jpg (95.3 KB, 86 views)

As Henry Ford said (slightly modified).

You can pick any color you want, as long as it's white!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-01-2016, 12:11 PM

I would have a turn around area, the layout is what you want, but straight is much easier to remove snow than to figure out curves and tear up lawn like mine. Thats my thoughts.
Best of luck!!
Cheers!

South East MA.
Personal Vehicle
2017 Ford Escape Titanium AWD, Built 4/16
White Platinum Met Tri-Coat, 2.0 EcoBoost, 301A Technology Pkg. Adaptive Cruise Control Pkg., Panoramic Vista Roof, Navigation System, 19" Mach Alum Lus Nic PTD, Class II Trailer Tow Prep, Roof-Rail Crossbars, Blk.
Work vehicle / supplied by job
2017 Ford Escape SE FWD
White, with tech 201A Pkg., 1.5 Ecoboost, Aftermarket dealer installed remote start

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old 10-01-2016, 12:20 PM

Hmmm, by rough scaling looks like about 7.2 meters offset in 13.7 meters of run for a 3.7 meter wide lane/driveway.

IMHO that's 'sporting' but live-able for a one-car driveway / garage.

There's that 3:1 grade break encroaching, too, but no indication of the top-to-toe elevation differences on this view; gotta wonder if that's 'proposed' or 'fixed' and the amount of drop-off; that might be as much of a constraint as the storm sewer/manway.

I wouldn't veto it out of hand, there's likely other other implications of 'flipping the plan' or re-arranging the residential living space plan to move the garage to the left (sun exposure, view, etc, etc, etc ....)

I'd ask the architect to explore it all further and present some options to minimize the curve/offset .... when looked at overall this may, indeed, be the most attractive option. IMHO there's not quite enough info here to make that judgment (and none of us share your personal tastes).

Remember, most all such projects are a series of compromises ... all must be considered in the total project context.

? Can the driveway be any closer to the indicated storm-sewer manway to reduce the curve/offset even a bit?
? Change the WV box and SS manway to 'finish in pavement' type and have them in the driveway? (more expense but that is likely constructible, BTDT)

Good luck, have fun, congrats on the new abode!
TBM2013 likes this.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 10-01-2016, 12:24 PM

Garage
I'd flip the plan over, reversing things, and put a straight driveway on the left. Easier to park, easier for guests to park beside/or behind each other, easier to plant and maintain the front lawn, better lawn layout for families (present and future), and you don't cut your front yard into two pieces.

I didn't measure width, but the layout as you show it isn't practical, because if the paved angle is too steep, you won't be able to fit a second car in the right side of the garage, if it's meant for two cars. Or if you get a second car in there, you won't be able to get it out without hitting the house. My driveway is curved like that, and the angle is sharp enough on the right side that I can only fit one car in a two-car garage. If I'd only known...

Dave

2015 Escape Titanium 4WD
2.0L Eco -- Magnetic Metallic -- Charcoal Black Leather
Equipment Group 300A -- Canadian Touring Package (Power Panorama Roof, My Ford Touch, Sirius, Nav) Trailer Towing, Class II -- Build Date 11/10/2014
Mods: Liftgate Spoiler, Splashguards, Weatherbeater floor liners, Shark Fin antenna, Remin Dash Kit, Novatek A118C Dash Cam
post #5 of 23 Old 10-01-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNW View Post
... if it's meant for two cars....
Forget the scale, look at the LxW proportions - that's a one-car garage.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
post #6 of 23 Old 10-01-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

I also think we should flip the garage. My project manager (my dad) went ahead without my approval and submitted to the city and got approval. The surveyor came yesterday to pin.. so now it's probably a big thing to change... argh!!!

My dad was telling me something about wind and sun exposure if I put the garage on the other side.

It's a 1.5 (12 feet door) garage.

I have not been in a good mood all day.

post #7 of 23 Old 10-01-2016, 02:40 PM

Ooops, more 'constraints' than I imagined

Hang in there, sounds like you're young so will perhaps have another chance at your 'dream home'

IMHO the driveway shown is far from a fatal flaw. The width of both it and the garage is generous for a single car with plenty of room for maneuvering and lots of options for other garaged 'toys'. The divided yard invites interesting out-of-the-boring-ordinary landscaping (you have an opportunity to 'screen' the garage contents/workshop from the street - that can be nice). You actually end-up with a bit more off-street parking for guests when you have the housewarming party!

Cheer up, you're getting a new house !!!!

(I'd be loath to trade-off a bad living space exposure to make the driveway straight - I spend more time in the house than parking the car; you may see that dad had a good point and the 'better overall compromise' after you calm a bit, try to keep an open mind while looking at the big picture!)
Seldom Home likes this.

post #8 of 23 Old 10-01-2016, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

That would suck to back out of all the time unless you made room to turn around. Try for the other side.

2013 2.0L AWD Titanium, Titanium Technology Package, Silver Ingot
post #9 of 23 Old 10-01-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

I can see my friends backing into my lawn every now and then. I think it's a terrible design and don,t even want to move forward. I'm stalling until a solution is found.

Good guess tho Centex, i'm only 23!

post #10 of 23 Old 10-01-2016, 03:18 PM

Just FYI, these days in most jurisdictions a 'plan flip' isn't nearly as easy as 'in the old days'. The ability to comply with permitting-authority residential energy efficiency requirements can hinge very significantly on the orientation ("exposure") of windows and the % of window openings in a wall with a given exposure. What used to be a 'simple plan flip' is more often than not a major redesign now.

The main thing at the moment, perhaps, is ensuring this matter doesn't harm your family relationships ..... trust me, that's waaay more important than anything. Tread with love and care.

I'm hoping for the best outcome!!!

Ahhh, 23, that was a good time, but then, so are 'the 60's' !!!

(Bachelor of Architecture, University of Texas at Austin class of '78, retired)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page