1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 12-23-2016, 12:01 PM

Garage
I have been using the Deltran for over 10 years to keep an RV battery in the garage maintained. Made in USA in a town 30 miles from here. Rugged metal case and has reverse protection. Don't know where the others are made. Always see them for sale at car shows.

1996 Explorer XLT, 5.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 12-23-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Update: took my drained Motorcraft battery (dated 12/2012) to Sears for free analysis, picked it up 30 minutes later.

Computer printout says "battery is bad, does not meet industry performance standards, replacement is required."

Not sure I believe it yet, but that's all I know for now. I'll need my truck next Wed, so buying anything off amazon probably won't work.

Maybe I do need a new battery and that'll solve my immediate needs. I can get a charger/maintainer afterwards.

I appreciate everyone's help and advice.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-23-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4ord View Post
Update: took my drained Motorcraft battery (dated 12/2012) to Sears for free analysis, picked it up 30 minutes later.

Computer printout says "battery is bad, does not meet industry performance standards, replacement is required."

Not sure I believe it yet, but that's all I know for now. I'll need my truck next Wed, so buying anything off amazon probably won't work.

Maybe I do need a new battery and that'll solve my immediate needs. I can get a charger/maintainer afterwards.

I appreciate everyone's help and advice.
From what you said earlier that is probably right. Short trips and leaving a battery partially discharged for long periods can shorten the battery's life.

I don't drive my Kuga everyday and have got one of the CTEK chargers I mentioned earlier. I didn't pay full price as IMHO they're not good buying at full retail price (in Australia at least.)

I've got the MCS7.0 7.0 Amp version and it has settings for different battery types (eg. normal, AGM and Calcium) as they each have different charge voltages and float levels. I've installed my own quick connect terminal in the engine bay using AMP Powerpole connectors - only because I've been using them for a number of years and have them on all my 12V gear eg. air compressors, 12v rattle gun, both battery chargers etc. It's also got battery reconditioning capabilities.

If you're going to buy something I'd suggest getting something with the capability of quickly charging a battery rather than just a charger that can only supply a maintenance charge. You might need the extra capacity one day.

David

2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 Old 12-23-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcod View Post
From what you said earlier that is probably right. Short trips and leaving a battery partially discharged for long periods can shorten the battery's life.

I don't drive my Kuga everyday and have got one of the CTEK chargers I mentioned earlier. I didn't pay full price as IMHO they're not good buying at full retail price (in Australia at least.)

I've got the MCS7.0 7.0 Amp version and it has settings for different battery types (eg. normal, AGM and Calcium) as they each have different charge voltages and float levels. I've installed my own quick connect terminal in the engine bay using AMP Powerpole connectors - only because I've been using them for a number of years and have them on all my 12V gear eg. air compressors, 12v rattle gun, both battery chargers etc. It's also got battery reconditioning capabilities.

If you're going to buy something I'd suggest getting something with the capability of quickly charging a battery rather than just a charger that can only supply a maintenance charge. You might need the extra capacity one day.
So basically, I killed off the battery myself by not using it and had I kept driving the truck or maintained it things would be normal. Figures.

Thanks for the info. The 7.0 CTEK is sold at Orchard Supply Hardware, one of my fave stores.

While at Sears I saw a glovebox jump starter the size of a Ford manual that's good for 20 jumps. How cool is that? (if it works)
post #15 of 15 Old 12-24-2016, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4ord View Post
So basically, I killed off the battery myself by not using it and had I kept driving the truck or maintained it things would be normal. Figures.

Thanks for the info. The 7.0 CTEK is sold at Orchard Supply Hardware, one of my fave stores.

While at Sears I saw a glovebox jump starter the size of a Ford manual that's good for 20 jumps. How cool is that? (if it works)
Yes, lead acid batteries are fussy things to get maximum life out of. It's best to recharge them quickly after discharge (don't leave them partially charged for a long period) and they also have different charge voltages/ rates and float voltages with the different types of construction. The "self discharge rate"- how much charge they will lose sitting disconnected- also varies.

If you're replacing the F150 battery perhaps look into AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) types- they recharge quicker and can supply higher Pulse Cranking Amps "PCA". The "self discharge rate" for them is also excellent.

I've tried the Calcium type (which generally have higher Cold Cranking Amp "CCA"ratings than normal lead acids) but discovered they take longer to recharge and also require a higher charge voltage. The one I tried in an older vehicle died a slow death and was replaced under the 36 month warranty.

I just checked and my CTEK also came with a quick connect lead for permanently installing (bolting) to the car battery terminals- as well as the normal alligator style clamps with the same connector on them. That part number should also have been MXS7.0 - not MCS7.0.

Here's the set up on my Kuga. I added the white plastic piece with the AMP Powerpole connectors that you can see at the top of the firewall. You can also see the CTEK quick connect plug (yellow/grey plug) further down the lead towards the charger. (I used the Powerpole connectors purely because they're common on my other vehicles.)

David

2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page