1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-22-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quality Car Battery Charger

Can anyone recommend a proven high quality battery charger that costs less than a new car battery?

There're too many to choose from and I only want to buy one once. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-22-2016, 08:54 PM

My 50 year old Sears Craftsman works just fine. Not the prettiest but it's functional

2014 Escape SE 1.6
post #3 of 15 Old 12-22-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfunke View Post
My 50 year old Sears Craftsman works just fine. Not the prettiest but it's functional
As does my 3 year old Craftsman!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-22-2016, 10:55 PM

Thumbs up Battery Tender !

Been using Deltran Battery Tenders for years to charge/maintain cars, trucks, bikes, farm equipment and RV 'house' batteries. Keep infrequently-started equipment ready-to-go.

It'll bring-back a DOA battery gently and charge/maintain anything without hurting your battery life / 'boiling out'. This is NOT a 'booster' or 'super-fast-charge' device if you want that.

Super compact to stash under a closed hood in bad weather.

Comes with regular terminal clip-ends but they use a standard inline SAE coupler for the charge leads so it's super-easy to DIY your own cheap 'permanent plug-in leads' for vehicles that you regularly maintain (get an SAE connector at any auto parts store and crimp-up custom leads to fit your situation .... put a car on the charger without even lifting the hood ;-).

Battery Tender® Plus

https://www.amazon.com/Deltran-Batte.../dp/B00068XCQU

Often discounted - google is your friend for finding the best price at the moment (hint- shop by model number 021-0128)

jay1028 likes this.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-22-2016, 11:13 PM

If you can find a CTEK on special they'd be worth a look. Without knowing what you require it for it's hard to recommend a specific model.

(If you want something capable of charging a flat battery in a reasonable time then it's going to cost a bit. If it's just for maintaining or topping up a battery you'll be able to get away with a smaller capacity charger.)

David

2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
post #6 of 15 Old 12-23-2016, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to figure out what I really need.

Since I stopped using my F150 as an everyday vehicle I assumed occasional local errands would be enough to keep the battery alive but I'm wrong.

The battery is dead. I can jump it and charge it on a freeway for 30-40 mins but that's a waste of time & gas if the trip serves no other purpose.

Once charged, I suppose I can disconnect a cable and keep a wrench in the console. But can I trust the battery next time I need the truck?

I don't want to make a routine out of this. I don't want to remove the battery a million times.

I don't want a massive jumper/charger with an internal battery that requires its own regular maintenance. Why add a second problem?

Not sure what to do. I never owned a charger. It would be nice to have something that accurately indicates a battery's status too ...
post #7 of 15 Old 12-23-2016, 10:07 AM

Garage
I just received a NOCO "genius GENM1" Onboard Battery Charger with ring terminals for permanent installation in my FE. It has a 4 amp charge rate and functions as a maintainer. To make life easier I also purchased a NOCO GCP1 AC Port Plug to mount so I don't have to open the hood to plug in the maintainer and block heater.
I have motorcycles and a sports car that I store in the winter and have battery maintainers on those also but they are much lighter than the genius which is built for rugged use.
There are many chargers and maintainers on the market and your requirements will be the determining factors in what you choose. There are differences in Chargers, trickle chargers, and maintainers and combinations of them.

2016 Escape Titanium, 2.0l, 4WD, Shadow Black
Build date 2015-11-30
Mississippi Mills, ON
Vive le Canada,
The True North Strong and Free.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-23-2016, 10:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4ord View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm trying to figure out what I really need.

Since I stopped using my F150 as an everyday vehicle I assumed occasional local errands would be enough to keep the battery alive but I'm wrong.

The battery is dead. I can jump it and charge it on a freeway for 30-40 mins but that's a waste of time & gas if the trip serves no other purpose.

Once charged, I suppose I can disconnect a cable and keep a wrench in the console. But can I trust the battery next time I need the truck?

I don't want to make a routine out of this. I don't want to remove the battery a million times.

I don't want a massive jumper/charger with an internal battery that requires its own regular maintenance. Why add a second problem?

Not sure what to do. I never owned a charger. It would be nice to have something that accurately indicates a battery's status too ...
I got the Deltran that Centex spoke about. Both of our Escapes are now very low mileage and I decided to try the Tender to see if on a long range basis it would help with battery life. I try about once a week to just plug the tender into the vehicle while still connected and then leave on until the tender says the battery is fully charged. Not too inconvenient for me. If this sounds like it will work for you, it is pretty simple. By leaving the battery connected and connected to the positive terminal and the ground lug the battery monitoring system recognizes that the battery has been charged. Don't know if this is an issue for your F 150.

2016 Escape Titanium w/Sync 3v1.1, 2.0 L
2013 Escape SEL w/MFT, 1.6 L
post #9 of 15 Old 12-23-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4ord View Post
.... Since I stopped using my F150 as an everyday vehicle I assumed occasional local errands would be enough to keep the battery alive but I'm wrong. ....
Lol, that's exactly what happened with my F150 when I got the Escape (until I put it on a roughly weekly Battery Tender 'rotation' with my tractor to keep 'em both 'topped-up'; I've got another that rotates between the '01 Miata and the RV trailer)

The BT doesn't have any complications like a true 'battery state' indication. It shows a red light when 1st connected indicating it senses a voltage state requiring 'charge' mode then changes to a green light indicating it has gone into 'float' mode when the battery is topped-up. So, an 'inference' of battery status but that's it. If ya only got one 'rarely used' vehicle you can just leave it on all the time - out of sight, out of mind, no harm, no foul(ing).

I'm sure that others mentioned would do the same job. FWIW the BT model I mention/use is a rugged all-metal case which I like. The two status indicator lights are really bright for obvious indication in full sun.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-23-2016, 11:45 AM

I picked this one up a few weeks ago for my 93 Corvette I drive maybe once a week, works great so far and shows status:

Item # 02871239000P
DieHard 28.71239 Platinum 6V/12V Battery Charger and Maintainer

There is a higher priced version that is Wi-Fi enabled with an app for your phone if you are interested in monitoring the battery 24x7 from a distance. I passed.

I was using this type for the last three years but lately it would just keep charging the battery and got very warm, probably an issue with the board, so I stopped using it as a maintainer. Item # SPM7307263513 Model # 71219

As to quality, I believe Schumacher is the underlying manufacturer for Sears and others. I also have one of their regular 10 Amp chargers from 30 years ago, still works great if a battery is still good and accepts a charge. Sears has variety of those for less than the cost of a battery too, but even though they have auto-shutoff, they don't have a maintenance mode.

2016 Titanium Sunset 2.0 AWD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page