17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 57 Old 11-18-2014, 12:53 PM

Question

Browsing the MKC site last night I found it interesting that the 2.0 EcoBoost with tow package has a 3k# rating same as the comparable FE, but the MKC with the new, more powerful 2.3 EcoBoost with tow package has a lower 2k# rating.
td2013 likes this.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 Old 11-19-2014, 06:12 PM

Garage
Good question to research. Though I can think of some things.

:EDIT:

Seems the 2.3L is based off of the 2.0L. So the engine block overall is the same. Maybe more bore or stroke I don't know. But they might not have done much for the cooling system to change it. Or that .3 liters doesn't mean more durability. Or they revised their thoughts on the engine. But there is higher output which means more heat generated. If you tow with it you are in "boost" a lot more and that generates more heat. There just might be some shortcomings with longevity. Quite a few possibilities.

Also, what size are the brakes? Towing needs bigger brakes. The MKC brakes might be smaller. (though this seems least likely)

Also, being a Lincoln they have more comfort and an adjustable suspension I'm think. Softer spring rates or adjustable ones means that changes the dynamics of the vehicle. A trailer would only amplify anything with all that added weight being towed. The dynamics are the most important thing when it comes to towing. It affects stability, acceleration, cornering, braking. So they might not deem the suspension to be as tough as the FE.

Heck I'm no towing expert but it is some logical food for though.

2014 Escape Tuxedo Black
2.0 AWD Titanium
Tow Package, Pana Roof, 19" Wheels
post #53 of 57 Old 11-20-2014, 01:03 AM

I think your missing the point that the MKC is available with a base 2.0 FWD or AWD @3000# trailer rating or MKC with an optional 2.3 AWD @2,000# trailer rating (both with trailer tow package). All my spec comparisons are 2.0 AWD-to-2.3 AWD because the 2.3 is not available in the FWD MKC....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream808 View Post
.... Seems the 2.3L is based off of the 2.0L. So the engine block overall is the same. Maybe more bore or stroke I don't know. But they might not have done much for the cooling system to change it. Or that .3 liters doesn't mean more durability. Or they revised their thoughts on the engine. But there is higher output which means more heat generated. If you tow with it you are in "boost" a lot more and that generates more heat. There just might be some shortcomings with longevity. Quite a few possibilities.
Here's a fact-sheet on the "all new" 2.3 as in the Mustang.
http://www.at.ford.com/SiteCollectio..._Factsheet.pdf

The MKC version has all the same features, just 'detuned' to 285HP/305 lb-ft. Maybe similar to the 2.0 in cylinder count, from what I've read most of the significant details are different, there are no interchangeable parts to speak of and the 2.3 has lots of unused 'overhead' for future power growth (the 2.0 block is sand cast, the 2.3 is die cast yielding higher strength for the 2.3).
Quote:
.... Also, what size are the brakes? Towing needs bigger brakes. The MKC brakes might be smaller. (though this seems least likely)
Well, since they sell the 2.0 MKC with brakes adequate for a 3,000# trailer, seems likely they'd offer the same or better brakes on the more powerful 2.3 version (?)

Quote:
... Also, being a Lincoln they have more comfort and an adjustable suspension I'm think. Softer spring rates or adjustable ones means that changes the dynamics of the vehicle. A trailer would only amplify anything with all that added weight being towed. The dynamics are the most important thing when it comes to towing. It affects stability, acceleration, cornering, braking. So they might not deem the suspension to be as tough as the FE.
Again, Lincoln makes the suspension work for a 3,000# trailer with the 2.0 engine in the MKC, so why not the same for the 2.3 engine?

I scoured the 2.0 MKC vs the 2.3 MKC specs looking for some difference that'd rationally explain the 1000# lower GVWR for the 2.3 and I can't find it yet. Wheel size, tire size and final gear ratio are all identical. RPM for max HP is identical, RPM for max TQ is about 10% lower for the 2.3. Curb weight difference is negligible. There's a rational answer somewhere and it may be one of the factors you mention but darned if I can hone-in on it.

Even wondered if its simply an error on the website but the same limits are in the Fleet towing guide and MKC owners manual, so scratch that.

One 'missing link' (and perhaps the 'weak link') is info on the power handling capacity of the tranny, which is the same 'model' for both engines .... hmmm (!?!)
(That's the same 'model' tranny as in our 2.0 FE's)

Color me 'intensely curious and puzzled'.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 57 Old 11-20-2014, 09:19 AM

My money would be on the transmission being the weak link. I've read that these 6F35's are about at their limit in the Escape/MKC. I'd bet the additional power of the 2.3 puts it right at the edge, so there isn't much margin left over for towing additional weight.

2013 Escape Titanium 4WD Loaded
Build date 5/13
post #55 of 57 Old 11-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator06 View Post
My money would be on the transmission being the weak link. I've read that these 6F35's are about at their limit in the Escape/MKC. I'd bet the additional power of the 2.3 puts it right at the edge, so there isn't much margin left over for towing additional weight.

Would it have anything to do with the axle gear ratio? Maybe the 2.3 has a lower gear ratio than the 2.0. I think this can effect towing capacities.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2014 Ruby Red Titanium 2.0 AWD
401A, Technology, Sony w/nav, 19" Wheels, Tonneau cover

post #56 of 57 Old 11-20-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel101 View Post
Would it have anything to do with the axle gear ratio? Maybe the 2.3 has a lower gear ratio than the 2.0. I think this can effect towing capacities.
Both the 2.0 AWD and 2.3 AWD MKC have a 3.51:1 axle ratio .... yet the 2.3 has a 1000# lower GCWR

post #57 of 57 Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 PM

Garage
Not sure then. I looked on Wikipedia and it said that:

"
The 2.3L version of the EcoBoost engine debuted in the 2015 Lincoln MKC crossover. Based upon the 2.0L EcoBoost, the 2.3L engine produces 289 PS (213 kW; 285 hp) @5600 rpm, 305 lbft (414 Nm) @3000 rpm. This engine will be available in the 2015 Ford Mustang, with power figures said to be greater than 310 hp (231 kW; 314 PS) @5500 rpm, 320 lbft (434 Nm) @2500 rpm[34]
The 2.3L EcoBoost engine is produced with the 2.0L EcoBoost at the Valencia Engine Plant in Valencia, Spain."

So I just assumed the block was bored and/or stroked. And then everything else was modified a bit. That said I'm not sure why the ratings dropped so much. Especially if it is a whole new block. Good question.

2014 Escape Tuxedo Black
2.0 AWD Titanium
Tow Package, Pana Roof, 19" Wheels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page