2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 10-17-2016, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2017 Honda CR-V

Looks like the new 2017 Honda CR-V is going to give the 2017 Escape some stiff competition. Will be on sale ~12/16.
2017 Honda CR-V First Look Review - Motor Trend

My 2014 Escape just hit 40K miles. Except for a few recalls and one upcoming recall no problems, only routine maintenance. As expected, going to need tires soon and maybe brake pads.

2014 Ingot Silver Escape SE FWD, 2.0L, panorama roof, no roof rails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Lots of interesting updates on the '17, esp a turbo, too bad it is still tied to a CVT.

ATL GA USA
2013 Titanium<SEL Tuxedo Black 2.0 Born on 2012.07.19
OEM HIDs, PanoRoof, Sony MFT Nav, PVD Chrome Rims
Packages: 302A, Parking Tech, Ford Towing
Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to learn how!
post #3 of 16 Old 10-17-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I had CVTs in my 2006 and 2008 Nissan Versas. They ran smooth. My son has the 2008 now, 125K and no problems with the trans. They didn't make a whirling sound like my Escape trans does when it shifts. I had the dealer check the trans fluid level, and of course they said the sound is normal for the Escape.
tremray likes this.

2014 Ingot Silver Escape SE FWD, 2.0L, panorama roof, no roof rails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-17-2016, 08:36 PM

Looks nice (apart from the wheels...) The luggage area looks very spacious- that's something I wish was a bit bigger in my Kuga.

I wonder what the power and torque curves will be like for that small 1.5l turbo engine?

You guys probably didn't get it in the USA, but the current model CRV was sold here with a really well specified 1.6l diesel turbo with a 9 speed auto. It's a pity they didn't stick with that transmission for this new engine.

David

2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
post #5 of 16 Old 10-17-2016, 09:54 PM

Garage
Me like. Does that turbo engine being i n use on other Honda products?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2013 1.6T Escape SE 4WD on Tuxedo Black (built JUN-12) - Door "Wolf" sill protectors Front/Rear - after market rear view mirror with integrated display for rear view camera - aftermarket rear parking sensors - aftermarket LED DRL's.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-24-2016, 10:06 PM

I actually loved the 2 Hondas I've owned over the years. That company really does live up to the Japanese reputation for precision and it shows. I'd buy Honda over German engineering any day (I'm German by the way lol). BUT... the last decade or so they've been slipping a little. Because they have become SO popular, quality control has slipped just like every other company that sits in the top ratings for so long. I just traded in a 2012 RAM 1500 for my Escape yesterday and to be honest, that RAM was no more problematic than the Accord EX I also currently own. That's all not due to Honda slipping, part of the reason is that Detroit has also become better since the days they used to take a beating from japan in reliability, features, and fit/finish. If I had one complaint about Honda it's that out of all the Detroit 3, as well as the other Japanese brands, and European too, Honda really loves to ignore power compared to all of the others. I do have one more issue with Honda as well and it's that they're so overconfident about their reputation that they think they're too awesome to offer competitive financing. It's extremely easy to get into a Ford/GM/Chrysler for 0% financing. Honda is in love with their 3.9%

The CRV was one of my top picks for a CUV this week but the lackluster horsies under the hood, not being any better than others in reliability/features/finish and lousy financing put me in my new Escape

2017 SE 2.0L AWD
Sport Package
201A Package
Cold Weather Package
Class II towing
Sync 3 Connect + AA/Carplay/Ford Pass
post #7 of 16 Old 12-24-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadshow View Post
I actually loved the 2 Hondas I've owned over the years. That company really does live up to the Japanese reputation for precision and it shows. I'd buy Honda over German engineering any day (I'm German by the way lol). BUT... the last decade or so they've been slipping a little. Because they have become SO popular, quality control has slipped just like every other company that sits in the top ratings for so long. I just traded in a 2012 RAM 1500 for my Escape yesterday and to be honest, that RAM was no more problematic than the Accord EX I also currently own. That's all not due to Honda slipping, part of the reason is that Detroit has also become better since the days they used to take a beating from japan in reliability, features, and fit/finish. If I had one complaint about Honda it's that out of all the Detroit 3, as well as the other Japanese brands, and European too, Honda really loves to ignore power compared to all of the others. I do have one more issue with Honda as well and it's that they're so overconfident about their reputation that they think they're too awesome to offer competitive financing. It's extremely easy to get into a Ford/GM/Chrysler for 0% financing. Honda is in love with their 3.9%

The CRV was one of my top picks for a CUV this week but the lackluster horsies under the hood, not being any better than others in reliability/features/finish and lousy financing put me in my new Escape
You hit the nail on the head. I own a 2008 accord and a 2013 civic. To add to your spot on assessment, I also think Honda has slipped because of the global economy(parts not being made in Japan) and also because some are assembled here in the US(sub-par assembly).

And your right, hondas are generally underpowered. But it's a perfect commuter/weekend vehicle in many respects.
roadshow likes this.

2013 Ginger Ale Titanium 2.0 AWD, Factory Tow Package, Pano Roof and Roof Rack, Kuga LED Rear Tail Lights, Factory Added NAV, factory Added Rear Camera, Rear Spoiler, Build Date - Sept. 2012
post #8 of 16 Old 12-24-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobP View Post
I had CVTs in my 2006 and 2008 Nissan Versas. They ran smooth. My son has the 2008 now, 125K and no problems with the trans. They didn't make a whirling sound like my Escape trans does when it shifts. I had the dealer check the trans fluid level, and of course they said the sound is normal for the Escape.
I'm not sold on them yet, but the main reason is they can't tow any worth while weight.

2015 Escape Ti 2.0 AWD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-24-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayaiKuruma View Post
You hit the nail on the head. I own a 2008 accord and a 2013 civic. To add to your spot on assessment, I also think Honda has slipped because of the global economy(parts not being made in Japan) and also because some are assembled here in the US(sub-par assembly).

And your right, hondas are generally underpowered. But it's a perfect commuter/weekend vehicle in many respects.
My Accord is 08 too! Did you get the VCT Actuator problem on yours? I had to have mine fixed out of pocket but I still go though oil like crazy to this day

2017 SE 2.0L AWD
Sport Package
201A Package
Cold Weather Package
Class II towing
Sync 3 Connect + AA/Carplay/Ford Pass
post #10 of 16 Old 12-24-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayaiKuruma View Post

My wife has a 2010 Honda and my last vehicle was a 2015 Honda (higher trim level). The quality of material in hers is noticeably better than they were in mine (plastics, carpet, seat material, etc.). Cost cutting was very evident.

2016 Ruby Red Titanium
2.0, Panoramic Roof, Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page