2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Rear hatch not closing

93K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  Paul Schott 
#1 ·
Anybody else having problems with the rear lift gate not closing properly? Every time I open the back and press the button to close it it seems to close but when I start the engine I get a warning bell and message saying the lift gate is open. I have to hit the inside button to open it up again then close it to shut off the warning. Plan on calling dealer next week about it but wondered if anyone else had the same problem.

#2 ·
How is the alignment of your hatch in relation to the body? I ended up adjusting mine myself after giving the dealer two try's.

I have noticed if you are parked on an angle, you will get that message. Seems the degree of tilt of your vehicle doesn't need to be more than 10 degrees before that message pops up.

I have also seen instances of the cabin pressure being so sealed that you get that message. Folks say if they leave the door open or a window cracked it doesn't do it. Weird.

Ever since I adjusted my hatch it hasn't happened. This was this past summer.

#3 ·
I have noticed if you are parked on an angle, you will get that message. Seems the degree of tilt of your vehicle doesn't need to be more than 10 degrees before that message pops up.
Just discovered this during the holiday. Parked in the woods at a slight up angle with a left tilt and the rear hatch kept popping back open. Wouldn't even stay shut if you pushed on it while it was shutting. Really annoying and could be problematic in the future. :mad:

#5 ·
I was in a flat parking lot the first time it happened so can't blame the angle. Hopefully the dealer will figure it out.
The liftgate won't latch completely if you start the engine while the closing is in progress. This appears to be a standard phenomenon. If this isn't the source of your problem, then I agree it's an issue for the dealer.

#6 ·
Well, not exactly my case, mine is manual but i have had this problem like 3 or 4 times. Figured out i need to kind of slam the door to make it secure fit. If i close it easy, the lock mechanism will engage with the door not completely shut, andI I needed to press the hatch button then Close it again.

#9 ·
I brought this to the attention of my dealer. They said "that is how it works". However I have sen other brands of vehicles whose owners start the vehicle after starting the closing process and it works fine :mad:

I now have to mentally "count" from pushing the rear hatch to getting in before I start the car.

#11 ·
Hi folks,

This is Ashley, the Ford Service rep here on the forum.

If you're having concerns with your back hatch not closing, I suggest bringing it by your dealer to have them take a look. If you still need assistance after that, feel free to shoot me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll check out some options. :)

Ashley

#13 ·
Funny thing - I had exactly the same issue with my 2013 SEL. Power liftgate closes then pops open slightly at the last stages of locking. I could "help" it closed which would be the only way to stop the alarm. I took it to the dealer and their report says: "Measure body margins and reprogram the LTM". It was known as "Operation 130621A". They have an operation number for it? Sounds worrying... this problem has only occurred since the bitter weather arrived.

#17 ·
New Manual Lift Gate closing problem

I just leased a 2015 Escape with a manual lift-gate. I never seem to be able to close it fully the first time. The 'lift gate ajar' message always greets me - and I need to get out of the car and try again. Any suggestions (besides banging it shut every time)? It should be more smooth.

#19 ·
I just leased a 2015 Escape with a manual lift-gate. I never seem to be able to close it fully the first time. The 'lift gate ajar' message always greets me - and I need to get out of the car and try again. Any suggestions (besides banging it shut every time)? It should be more smooth.

Have you taken it to the dealer yet? Provably the first step you should do since your vehicle is under warranty.

#22 ·
Yup, same problem here with the back cargo mat. Maybe if Ford made the closing just a little slower, wait no then it would not move at all ;-) . somewhat related why doesn't the tailgate window open? I feel like an idiot for not checking before I bought the car. I just assumed it would open. Like if you get a piece of trim from the hardware store and you need it to stick out just a little tiny little bit.

#25 ·
2017 power liftgate sometime stays ajar

I have had it a few times where the liftgate will close, but I wont hear the "Hrrmmm - CLICK" of it pulling it in, and locking

It will close, and be "ajar" and the car will act as if its open

Anyone else have this issue?

#27 ·
I have had it a few times where the liftgate will close, but I wont hear the "Hrrmmm - CLICK" of it pulling it in, and locking

It will close, and be "ajar" and the car will act as if its open

Anyone else have this issue?

Read this post. Read about people looking at new 17's and seeing that in the new car lot on many Escapes. I never paid attention when I got mine. But I do have the issue. Going back to the dealer next week.

http://www.fordescape.org/forum/ext...2014-titanium-power-liftgate-mis-aligned.html

#29 ·
Let us know how it turns out. I went yesterday to the dealer to order a cargo mat since I was nearby. Stopped and talked with the salesman for a bit. Good guy. I told him the latch replacement didn't work out and when it gets warmer and I get bored they have to align the body panel. He said come in during the week he will have the body guy he worked with for years take care of it. I told him I would and hang around and bug him while I'm waiting. He said he ran across this before about the panel and it should be long but he will give me a loaner for the day so I don't have to wait. Said he has Mustang GT's if I want to use one of them for the day. Sounds like a good time to get it fixed finally :)

#31 ·
Got mine back and they said they could not replicate. Not surprising, since it is an intermittent problem. They told me to bring it right in when it happens next time. Not an especially practical solution, as I can't really leave work and drive a 1/2 hour back to the dealer to look at it. I just kept the paperwork documenting the issue for a later (possibly post-warranty) need.

#32 ·
Mine just started this weekend as the temps dropped to the 20's and 30's. If I open a door it will latch correctly. Not sure if it is a temperature issue affecting the rubber seals or just so airtight and cannot compress the cabin air. Purchased two weeks ago with warm temps until this weekend.

#34 ·
My hatch was not closing properly. I read most of the solutions which were bring it to the dealer or take stuff apart. My problem was that when I closed it I could hear the latch rubbing on one side of the striker. I proved it to myself by manually closing the hatch and seeing/feeling the hatch move to the right about 1/8" I never got a warning that it wasn't closed all the way but on occasion when I would touch the door handle I would hear the latch do it's final click.
I decided the adjustment was so small that I would do it the easy way. I used a 2 foot pry bar and tweaked the striker over a drop. The result was perfect. The hatch alignment is exact and it closes perfectly. o_O Not a dealer approved repair but who cares. (I wouldn't bring my car back to my dealer if it was under warrantee, my repair may be considered butchering but this dealer is worse)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.