2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Frequesnt check for owners in wooded / leafy areas !

19K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Jim Reuss 
#1 ·
The Escape under hood mesh screened areas (vents) suck up leaves and debris like a vacuum cleaner ! Areas on both sides under the hood can get totally covered / blocked with leaves and other debris.

More so than other cars I have seen (in the period of time it tales to accumulate).

#2 ·
Thank you! I really should have thought about that. At the dealer's once, the hood was popped open, the service manager was in my car with me, and I noticed someone doing something under the hood. The manager said he was just pulling out leaves. We live on a woodsy lot and while the Escape is in the garage at night, it can sit in the driveway other times. Tons of leaves and debris. I'll check tomorrow.

#5 ·
The Escape under hood mesh screened areas (vents) suck up leaves and debris like a vacuum cleaner ! Areas on both sides under the hood can get totally covered / blocked with leaves and other debris.
Yes, I clean out those areas from time to time. My Escape is almost always in a garage, but even occasional exposure to the elements can attract debris.

Good reminder for the forum.

#7 ·
I park under a big tree at home and also park under a large tree at work. This past fall was bad for leaves on my car. Twice I had a leaf and a maple seed get sucked into my blower motor. When the leaf got in there it made such a loud noise. When the maple seed got in there was a giant vibration like the thing was going to vibrate into pieces. It was difficult but I ended up getting them both out myself. I will try and post some pictures later

#14 · (Edited)
A shop vac usually has more airflow and suction than an upright (uprights depend on the revolving brush to deep clean), so I don't think that the upright will get much more out.
That being said, you've probably got all your going to get without disassembling the grilles.
On the bright side, we are at the end of leaf season for this year (at least here in PA).

#17 ·
So I checked underneath the bonnet the other day after reading this thread. And even though my car is garaged most of the time (at night as well as during the day at work), sure nuf I had a few goobers and chuds hanging around those screens. A few leaves and very small, little twigs????

This thread is excellent advice and I will check this often. Thanks so much for the tip!

#21 ·
A good method to remove small debris from the four under-the-hood vent screens is a patch from a roll of adhesive lint remover. It will grab stubborn items that a vacuum might not move, and it's less trouble than setting up a vacuum cleaner. When the adhesive patch fails, a pair of tweezers will get much of the rest.

Reactions: gsubaru
#24 ·
Leaves would be a welcomed treat. We get the 1" needles from 80-100' Douglas Fir trees. Those suckers are really hard to remove. I might try your trick, centex, but I hve a laser engraver/cutter so might fabricate frames from thin Polycarbonate to put over them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.