7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 12-08-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
I check oil and glance under the hood monthly. I know, not enough. My husband never checks, likes low mileage used cars, keeps them for about ten years and has never had a problem, so not a lot of motivation to change.
A complete weekly once over only takes 15 minutes or so.

Underhood and fluids
Overall exterior and lights
Overall interior
Tire pressure

Good insurance against problems developing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 12-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKazoroski View Post
A complete weekly once over only takes 15 minutes or so.

Underhood and fluids
Overall exterior and lights
Overall interior
Tire pressure

Good insurance against problems developing.
He checks tire pressure. But when you've owned cars for decades, each for a decade or so, and never had problems, there's not a lot of motivation to start a new habit, especially when there are 80 other chores - or so it seems - to do on the weekend.

I was the same way, and never had a car with a problem that would have been caught with visual checks. I'm better now because I like hanging out with my Escape so much. And I'm not as relaxed about reliability as I was for past cars.

And you're absolutely right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Ford Escape, 2.0 Titanium, 4WD, Frosted Glass - build date 4/16/13
2003 Subaru Forester
1999 Subaru Forester
and more
post #13 of 26 Old 12-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Today: leaves, leaf bits, acorn bits. Most removed by hand or vac, but our shop vac won't pull out the last few bits. That said, it's an ancient vac and probably needs a filter cleaning. I'm going to try later with the hose attachment on our upright.

2003 Subaru Forester
1999 Subaru Forester
and more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 Old 12-08-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
Today: leaves, leaf bits, acorn bits. Most removed by hand or vac, but our shop vac won't pull out the last few bits. That said, it's an ancient vac and probably needs a filter cleaning. I'm going to try later with the hose attachment on our upright.
A shop vac usually has more airflow and suction than an upright (uprights depend on the revolving brush to deep clean), so I don't think that the upright will get much more out.
That being said, you've probably got all your going to get without disassembling the grilles.
On the bright side, we are at the end of leaf season for this year (at least here in PA).
post #15 of 26 Old 12-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
A shop vac usually has more airflow and suction than an upright (uprights depend on the revolving brush to deep clean), so I don't think that the upright will get much more out.
That being said, you've probably got all your going to get without disassembling the grilles.
On the bright side, we are at the end of leaf season for this year (at least here in PA).
Here too for leaves - generally by the beginning of December. Today we got our first snow/freezing rain. Our shop vac is probably ready for retirement, and I don't think I want to disassemble the grilles.

2003 Subaru Forester
1999 Subaru Forester
and more
post #16 of 26 Old 12-11-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Now it's snow sucked up in the grills. Had a couple of inches of snow and the grills are covered with snow. Perhaps engine heat will melt it but a 5 mile trip seemed to have little effect.
post #17 of 26 Old 12-11-2013, 12:12 PM

So I checked underneath the bonnet the other day after reading this thread. And even though my car is garaged most of the time (at night as well as during the day at work), sure nuf I had a few goobers and chuds hanging around those screens. A few leaves and very small, little twigs????

This thread is excellent advice and I will check this often. Thanks so much for the tip!

Steven

2014 Escape 4WD
Titanium Model, White Platinum Tri-Coat, Black Leather, Titanium Techn. Package, HID Auto. Headlamps, BLIS System, Active Park Assist, 2.0L I4 GTDI EcoBoost Engine, Panorama Roof, NAV, Roof Cross Bars, 19" Alloy Luster Nickel Wheels, Tonneau Cover

Mods so far: OEM Splash Guards, OEM All Weather Mats, Brushed Aluminum Pedal Covers, Stainless Steel Cargo Sill Plates, Rear Spoiler, Hydraulic Hood Struts,
post #18 of 26 Old 12-11-2013, 04:06 PM

Garage
Phhhhh I live in the city and do the random hunting trip upstate or a vacation in PA. Tons of leaves and other "stuff" stuck in those vents. Even a cigarette butt one time
post #19 of 26 Old 12-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have gotten the occasional leaves, but mainly bugs.

Hey, look. "Esc-a-pay". Hey, it's spelled just like escape

post #20 of 26 Old 12-11-2013, 04:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotattitude View Post
I have gotten the occasional leaves, but mainly bugs.
Last trip to PA in the summer was full of bees and hornets. Brushed those out knowing my luck I'd get stung by dead bugs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page