7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 12-07-2013, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to ndccpf1
Frequesnt check for owners in wooded / leafy areas !

The Escape under hood mesh screened areas (vents) suck up leaves and debris like a vacuum cleaner ! Areas on both sides under the hood can get totally covered / blocked with leaves and other debris.

More so than other cars I have seen (in the period of time it tales to accumulate).
JMR, Elf911, bajaman and 2 others like this.

2013 2.0 Escape Titanium AWD
2006 VW GTI
Monmouth County, NJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you! I really should have thought about that. At the dealer's once, the hood was popped open, the service manager was in my car with me, and I noticed someone doing something under the hood. The manager said he was just pulling out leaves. We live on a woodsy lot and while the Escape is in the garage at night, it can sit in the driveway other times. Tons of leaves and debris. I'll check tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Ford Escape, 2.0 Titanium, 4WD, Frosted Glass - build date 4/16/13
2003 Subaru Forester
1999 Subaru Forester
and more
post #3 of 26 Old 12-07-2013, 08:42 PM

Yep - "raking out the leaves" is part of my weekly underhood ritual on the Escape. Once in a while, I pull out the shop vac to get what falls through the grilles.
Never saw this on any other car or truck I've owned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 12-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Now I'm scared what I'm going to find in there.

2003 Subaru Forester
1999 Subaru Forester
and more
post #5 of 26 Old 12-07-2013, 10:15 PM
JMR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndccpf1 View Post
The Escape under hood mesh screened areas (vents) suck up leaves and debris like a vacuum cleaner ! Areas on both sides under the hood can get totally covered / blocked with leaves and other debris.
Yes, I clean out those areas from time to time. My Escape is almost always in a garage, but even occasional exposure to the elements can attract debris.

Good reminder for the forum.

2013 Sterling Gray Metallic Escape SEL 2.0L 4WD w/Equipment Group 302A, Panorama Roof, Ford OEM Cargo Area Protector, Ford OEM Splash Guards, WeatherTech All-Weather Floor Mats (front only), Ford OEM Center Console Tray, Aluminum Pedal Covers, Fitted LED DRLs
post #6 of 26 Old 12-08-2013, 07:28 AM

Garage
Good post. Too many people, especially women, just get in and drive and do little or no inspections of any sort.

2014 Ingot Silver 4WD Titanium - 2.0 Ecoboost - All the bells and whistles
post #7 of 26 Old 12-08-2013, 08:32 AM

Garage
I park under a big tree at home and also park under a large tree at work. This past fall was bad for leaves on my car. Twice I had a leaf and a maple seed get sucked into my blower motor. When the leaf got in there it made such a loud noise. When the maple seed got in there was a giant vibration like the thing was going to vibrate into pieces. It was difficult but I ended up getting them both out myself. I will try and post some pictures later
bjeans likes this.
post #8 of 26 Old 12-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaman View Post
Good post. Too many people, especially women, just get in and drive and do little or no inspections of any sort.
I check oil and glance under the hood monthly. I know, not enough. My husband never checks, likes low mileage used cars, keeps them for about ten years and has never had a problem, so not a lot of motivation to change.

2003 Subaru Forester
1999 Subaru Forester
and more
post #9 of 26 Old 12-08-2013, 10:48 AM

Hello all,
when cleaning the screens, do you unclip them to get under the screen? if so how do you do it and if just cleaning what is the best way, I have tried a shop vac, but some of the leaves are stuck in the screen, I have not tried to get under the screen.

Thanks
Ralph
post #10 of 26 Old 12-08-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphotographer View Post
Hello all,
when cleaning the screens, do you unclip them to get under the screen? if so how do you do it and if just cleaning what is the best way, I have tried a shop vac, but some of the leaves are stuck in the screen, I have not tried to get under the screen.

Thanks
Ralph
For now, I just take off the surface leaves and vacuum through the grills to get what I easily can.
Once fall is completely over, I think the leaf problem will abate until next fall.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page