1Likes
  • 1 Post By Escapism

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-05-2014, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Battery

My battery is dead and will not charge with a fast charger. We cannot even get the car in neutral to back it out of the garage. What's up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-05-2014, 11:29 AM

Garage
That sounds...odd. Are you sure it is the battery and not the cable or perhaps a main fuse has blown?
As for the shifter release, there is a little cover to take off and use a pick or screwdriver to release the shifter lock.

If you aren't sure about the battery, hook up your jumper cables to the battery's positive terminal and a ground on the engine or chassis, then on the other end lightly tap the two cable clamps together and observe for a spark.
Use caution. IF your battery is actually fully charged and you have a different issue, you'll get a HUGE arc, lol!

2014 Ingot Silver 4WD Titanium - 2.0 Ecoboost - All the bells and whistles
post #3 of 8 Old 01-05-2014, 12:37 PM

First of all, if you need help, then it's a really good idea to tell us the make, model, year and engine of your vehicle.

How do you know that your battery is dead? Did you put a load tester on it? If your battery is actually fully charged, then putting a charger on it won't help. Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere in the system.

Get out your Owner's Manual and see if there are instructions on how to jump start your vehicle from another vehicle. if it is not possible to get another vehicle close enough to jump start, then remove the battery from another vehicle and take it into your garage along with the booster cables.

There is also a very remote possibility that your battery has failed internally. A battery can be fully charged but if one of the internal lead bars that connect the individual cells in series opens up, then no current will flow. My wife's car had that happen so I know for a fact that this sort of fault can occur.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-05-2014, 01:00 PM

Call Ford roadside assistance - should be part of your warranty.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-06-2014, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebreania View Post
My battery is dead and will not charge with a fast charger. We cannot even get the car in neutral to back it out of the garage. What's up?
Which Escape do you have, and how long since you have driven it?
post #6 of 8 Old 01-06-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebreania View Post
Sebreania,

I suggest contacting your dealer, as others have mentioned, because it could be due to a variety of concerns. Let me know what you find out.

Ashley
post #7 of 8 Old 01-06-2014, 12:00 PM

Just an FYI, if you have the Pano roof, your battery will be dead if your car sits for 2 weeks or longer. Apparently some sort of trickle charge is being released by the sun roof motors. There is a TSB out for this where they replace the motors.

Sorry if this is unrelated, but worth mentioning for those who don't know. I used to travel alot and leave my vehicle at the airport for extended periods.
Elf911 likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-06-2014, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
As Escapism mentioned and I was leading up to that TSB. of the battery drain.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page