1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 07-29-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Ford stepped up in a pretty big way today, thank you for helping me!
mharvey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 07-29-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjeepdrv View Post
Ford stepped up in a pretty big way today, thank you for helping me!
You’re welcome, tjeepdrv.

Woot! Woot! Thanks for sharing the great news.

Enjoy the rest of your evening!

Tricia

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

f:

post #13 of 20 Old 08-16-2016, 10:38 AM

I have the same problem. First time it happened the car had only 10,000 miles and restarting the car cleared the message so I thought nothing of it. Now the car has 45,000 miles and is just out of warranty - surprise! Guess what started happening all the time? Yes, "Steering Assist Fault: Service Required" messages along with a complete loss of steering. My wife drives this car and was not very happy. Being a lawyer, she knows her liability if she were to continue driving it without getting it fixed so it is at the dealership right now. The dealership just informed me that they need to replace the steering module for $1,800 and that since there is no recall I'm on the hook for the bill.

Has anyone had any luck getting Ford to cover this issue since it is such a widely known problem or is my only option to pay the bill and complain to the govt and hope a recall is eventually issued? Yeah, I should have had it looked at when it happened at 10,000 miles.... Should I expect this problem on my new 2015 Focus that I just bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjeepdrv View Post
I started my 2014 Escape on Friday night and got this error. The EPS is apparently dead. I can drive it around, but I have to wrestle it around. The bad part is that I was 500 miles from home, so I made the trip earlier today. I'm going to guess I didn't damage it worse, but is this an expensive fix? I'm right under 40,000 miles right now, so I'm guessing I'm beyond the warranty that would fix it.

I did search, but most of the results have said the error clears when you restart the car and the EPS comes back. Mine never did.

I plan to wrestle it to the dealer tomorrow and hope I don't have to pay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 Old 08-16-2016, 05:50 PM

August 16, 2016 Power Steering Lost

My 2013 Ford Escape 4 cylinder 2.5 Liter has been a pleasure to drive until today. I have a little over 28,000 miles on the car. When I started the car 15 miles from home, it displayed
"Steering Assist Fault Service Required". The steering was very tough, yes it was like "wrestling". From researching, it sounds like the dealership charges $1800 for dealing with this problem.
Do you think a 76 year old with experience fixing his own older cars can make the repair?
post #15 of 20 Old 08-16-2016, 05:58 PM

There is little to no chance that you can fix this issue yourself. I've owned a 87 Taurus, own a 13 Escape and 15 Focus. I've worked on all repairs for my cars until the Escape and Focus. This is not an issue for a non dealer person to fix.

It is interesting to hear that we are all having this trouble right after the warranty ends. It is also interesting that I believe that prior model years have been recalled over this issue and it is a known problem. I would hope that Ford steps up and covers the expense or I'll be spending some time explaining the loss of steering to the NHTSA and pushing for a recall to reimburse my $1,800. On the bright side, the dealer only takes 3/4 day to repair it.
post #16 of 20 Old 08-16-2016, 11:25 PM

Thanks. Yes, it is interesting that the warranty expired January 2016 and the steering assist fault occurred August 2016.
post #17 of 20 Old 08-17-2016, 07:03 AM

i just got the same problem with my 2013 ford escape ecoboost 2.0
post #18 of 20 Old 08-17-2016, 07:43 AM

$1800.00 Yikes! Someone needs to tell us the part numbers from their work ticket. The gear assembly is like $800.00. I think the Power Steering Control (PSC) Motor is located on the gear assembly. Then there's the Electronic Control Unit (ECU). Then the Torque Sensor and Steering Wheel Position Sensor. The PSC basically replaces the hydraulic pump. It helps you turn the car, but it needs to know how much power steering assistance to provide. That’s where the ECU comes in. The ECU takes information from the sensors (in addition to collecting other information, such as vehicle speed), crunches the numbers and tells the PSC how much steering assisance to provide. The labor to remove the steering gear must be no fun at all.

Here is a write up of a DIY'er fixing it himself. Its an older generation Escape, but at least it answers the question of how much is involved with just this one component. You see, Ford will not do this, they just want to replace the whole column.

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/thre...teering.11299/

2013 Ginger Ale Titanium 2.0 AWD, Factory Tow Package, Pano Roof and Roof Rack, Kuga LED Rear Tail Lights, Factory Added NAV, factory Added Rear Camera, Rear Spoiler, Build Date - Sept. 2012
post #19 of 20 Old 08-18-2016, 05:02 PM

Checked with Dealership

The dealership says that they replace the entire steering column.
post #20 of 20 Old 08-18-2016, 05:18 PM

Call Ford customer service and speak with them about possible assistance paying the $1800 repair bill. I believe that Ford will stand by their product and may even be of some help. It never hurts to ask.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page