3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 07-08-2016, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Do I have a lemon?

Escape is at the dealers again today. Check engine light came on AGAIN. This is the documented 4th time it has been in for this, although I asked about it every time it was in since I purchased it. When it happens it goes into limp mode and I have to pull off the road and restart the engine. They have repaired connectors, replaced the wire harness. They have also replaced the MAP sensor and replaced the PCM board. Made it 800 miles after the board was replaced until it failed again. Time before the repair lasted only a day. Dealer claims to have called Ford Tech support the last couple of times. Today was told the latest code was P0106. Don't care that it's a different code from last time. Just fix it!
I am considering taking a hard look at lemon law attorneys. This should be a easy fix but it appears that instead of troubleshooting the problem they are just parts changing until they stumble across the problem or they outlast me. Been dealing with this since October 2014 at two different dealers. Very frustrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-08-2016, 07:03 PM

Don't delay that discussion with competent counsel - the AZ lemon law has some strict time/mileage factors and you may have a few more 'buttons to push' with Ford before you know if you have a "lemon" in the eyes of the applicable AZ law .....

https://www.carlemon.com/lemon/az_law.html

A bummer if it gets to that but .....
TBM2013 likes this.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old 07-09-2016, 12:15 PM

They may have an out with a new code. Read the laws carefully and make sure everything is documented and in order before you go for it. My 2013 escape has had everything you describe go wrong and much much more. Ford recently replaced my intake manifold. They fixed my main wiring harness finally after 4 attempts and it eliminated me from using lemon law in OR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 07-09-2016, 02:46 PM

Sorry for frustration. It will get fixed and hopefully that will be the end of it.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-10-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Just an update.
When the car acted up it was on a Thursday. I called and left a message on voicemail with my "service adviser" When after 2 hours I didn't get a call back I called and was again sent to his voicemail, I called right back and asked that I speak with some one in service. I told the fellow I spoke with that I was now unhappy with the no response and the problem with the car.
He told me to bring the car in on Friday morning. Immediately after hanging up the phone I get a call from my service advisor. He tells me he has been trying to call me. I don't believe him. At any rate, he also asked me to bring the car in on Friday.
Friday morning at 7:05 AM I arrived at the dealership. They checked the error code in the drive through line. They then shuttled me to Enterprise for a rental car which is standard.
At around 2:15 PM and again around 5:30 PM I received calls from my service advisor. He says they still had not "looked" at my car but "It's in line and should get looked at either Saturday or Monday" I have never experienced a repair waiting line at a dealership with any of the five Fords and four other vehicles that I have purchased new in my life time. I may be totally wrong but my feeling is that I am being getting a bit of special treatment because I expressed my dis pleasurer with the fact that they have been unable to repair the car.

Two more quick questions if I may. After the replacement of the PCM, every time I started the car I would get a message telling me that I needed an oil change. How is this reset? Wouldn't, if it's reset with a computer after an oil change, the reset signal be on the PCM? If not, is there another little computer board? Is there a reset button? Where would it be? How do independent oil change outfits reset it? Dealer said it had nothing to do with the PCM. Awfully curious.
Oddly enough when the check engine light was on during my 30 mile drive to the dealer my mileage jumped up from the normal 25 mpg average to over 30 mpg. This was on a full tank on freeways at 70 mph. Very strange.
I am assuming that now that I have used the Lemon word on this board that I will become a person of non gratis as far as Ford is concerned. I have not mentioned it at the dealership. It's really tough to bite my tongue and be polite when I am upset but I have not thrown a fit or been grouchy with anyone there.
Thanks for your replies.
post #6 of 23 Old 07-10-2016, 03:25 PM

The instructions for resetting the Oil Life Monitor are in the "Maintenance" section of your owner's manual in the sub-section on "Engine Oil Check". You might try that, then of course you'll have to track to your next change by miles/time and reset it then to get 'back on track'.

Per the workshop manual, Section 413-01, the oil life settings are indeed stored in the PCM's non-volatile RAM so if your PCM was replaced it should not be surprising that the OLM data is off.

>>>>

As a matter of 'complete disclosure' for those following your saga it would be good if you provided your year, engine, drivetrain and trim level info in this thread (even better in a sig-block that follows all your posts). It would also be of interest to know the months and miles you have on your Escape.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-10-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

I'll be glad to add that information. I will need some educating on how to do a sig-block so possibly you could help me with that.
My escape is a 20013 Ruby Red SE front wheel drive 2.0 with Ecoboost. Delivery date 1/2013 (40 months?) Mileage is something like 25,500 if I remember correctly. It's at the dealers so I don't have the correct mileage but that's real close. I'll have to check around to find the build date. It may be in some of my paper work. If there is more info that you would like I'll be glad to share.
Thanks for your help
post #8 of 23 Old 07-10-2016, 05:11 PM

From this page http://www.fordescape.org/forum/ click "Add a custom signature" that's just above the forum list

post #9 of 23 Old 07-11-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Another update.
Just heard from the dealer. Said that when they checked this AM that I had the P0106 fault code and the same code from when they replaced the PCM board. They called ford tech and were told to do the wire splice/connector TSB again. I will keep you updated.
TBM2013 likes this.

2013 Ford Escape Ruby Red
Aprox 25,000 miles Purchased new January 2013
Bought from Peoria Ford Now living in Mesa AZ
post #10 of 23 Old 07-12-2016, 10:09 AM

My wiring harness was replaced before they came out wit the splice TSB. About 6 months ago they gave me a recall for the splice. Maybe your harness replacement was early like mine.

2013 Escape SEL, 2.0 Ecoboost, Equipment Group 302A, Technology Package, Trailer Towing class II, Parking Technology Package, Sterling Gray Metallic, Charcoal Black Leather Seats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page