LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-31-2016, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Cool Greetings Fellow Escapists!

Newbie here. I have joined FordEscape.ogr in hopes of learning about the car that I am interested in buying! Presently, I drive a VW Jetta TDI. You may have heard that VW in embroiled in a scandal around this injected diesel vehicle. I am in the process of taking advantage of the mfr's BuyBack, which should be completed by this Fall, hopefully in the next couple of months. The TDI has been reliable and fun to drive - even though mine's a Wagon, because I carry a lot of stuff for work. I have, however, been constantly amazed at how expensive, complicated and OverEngineered those German engineers have made this car!

Anyway, my main interest is in the Ford Escape SE, with the 1.6L ecoboost because I want good gas mileage AND I would love to be able to tow a small Pop-up camper on a cross country trip (once) and occasionally on more local camping trips. Now, I know this may sound like a tall order for a 1.6 liter engine, but I'm looking at folding tent campers that will be close to 1000lbs max. and the Escape I want is tow rated at 2000lb.

So there it is: Do any of you Escape lovers have the 1.6 SE and do you also use it for towing? I would appreciate any input on this, and will be cruising the Forum for related posts. Please send links if you know of any. BTW: I'm looking at Used Escapes just two or three years old with low mileage.

I'll update my profile when I find and purchase my Newsed car. THANKS!

Also: Which forum should I search for this towing topic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-31-2016, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the forum. You can search the towing section of this forum for towing with the Escape. There is a lot of information here on towing. When you do find a thread, please post any more questions you may have in one of the existing threads.

2014 Ruby Red Titanium 2.0 AWD
401A, Technology, Sony w/nav, 19" Wheels, Tonneau cover

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 09-01-2016, 12:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robob View Post
Newbie here. I have joined FordEscape.ogr in hopes of learning about the car that I am interested in buying! Presently, I drive a VW Jetta TDI. You may have heard that VW in embroiled in a scandal around this injected diesel vehicle. I am in the process of taking advantage of the mfr's BuyBack, which should be completed by this Fall, hopefully in the next couple of months. The TDI has been reliable and fun to drive - even though mine's a Wagon, because I carry a lot of stuff for work. I have, however, been constantly amazed at how expensive, complicated and OverEngineered those German engineers have made this car!

Anyway, my main interest is in the Ford Escape SE, with the 1.6L ecoboost because I want good gas mileage AND I would love to be able to tow a small Pop-up camper on a cross country trip (once) and occasionally on more local camping trips. Now, I know this may sound like a tall order for a 1.6 liter engine, but I'm looking at folding tent campers that will be close to 1000lbs max. and the Escape I want is tow rated at 2000lb.

So there it is: Do any of you Escape lovers have the 1.6 SE and do you also use it for towing? I would appreciate any input on this, and will be cruising the Forum for related posts. Please send links if you know of any. BTW: I'm looking at Used Escapes just two or three years old with low mileage.

I'll update my profile when I find and purchase my Newsed car. THANKS!

Also: Which forum should I search for this towing topic?

I have a 2013 2 liter 4WD Titanium Escape and it tows great. However mine did not come with the "Factory tow" package and I added a Hidden Hitch class 3 hitch so the maximum weight I can tow according to Ford is 2000lbs. I would not even bother looking at the 1.6 liter if you are planning on towing with it. Get a 2 liter one with the factory hitch that has the electronic anti sway on it from the factory.

2013 "Ginger-ale" Ford Escape 2.0 liter Titanium AWD with the 19 inch wheels. and Navigation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-03-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the input. I am now considering the SE with the 2.0L. I'm not even sure yet if I will be towing much, as I don't even own a Pop- up camper yet, but I would like to feel I could tow one across the country without burning my car up in the process!
I was initially interested in the 1.6L because it could tow more than my current vehicle (2009 VW Jetta Sportwagon with 2.0L TDI) and it gets great mgp. But to be realistic, I would never get 32mpg because I dont' drive that conservatively, and I always carry extra weight for my job. The combined mpg on the 2.0L is within 1 or two mpg of the 1.6, so shy not get the bigger engine and breath easy if I take off for Yosemite???

So, Thanks again! I'll heed your advice... unless I get an unbeatable deal on a 1.6......?

Nah!
post #5 of 6 Old 09-03-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

...meanwhile, I never got any responses to my inquiry: Does anyone tow a Popup camper with a 1.6L? or a 2.0L? I'm interested in learning all I can about these combinations (especially now the 2.0, I guess) as I approach the date when VW will buy back my TDI.
If so, What kind of camper do you tow, and how much does it weigh?
post #6 of 6 Old 09-03-2016, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robob View Post
...meanwhile, I never got any responses to my inquiry: Does anyone tow a Popup camper with a 1.6L? or a 2.0L? I'm interested in learning all I can about these combinations (especially now the 2.0, I guess) as I approach the date when VW will buy back my TDI.
If so, What kind of camper do you tow, and how much does it weigh?
One of the reason you might have not gotten a response yet is because this questions had been asked and answered already in this Towing section of the forum. Try a quick search and post anymore questions in one of the existing threads

2014 Ruby Red Titanium 2.0 AWD
401A, Technology, Sony w/nav, 19" Wheels, Tonneau cover

Tags
towing with 1.6l?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page