2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 09-12-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by centex View Post
^^^^ WOW, that's certainly a different tack in terms of, well everything, not the least being investment !

I hate to sound like a total 'ray of darkness' but check closely about using your Escape as a "Toad" (towed-vehicle in RV vernacular ;-). With AWD I don't think you can do that even with a front-end dolly (which would work with the FWD Escape), you may have to put it on a trailer so no wheels are on the ground when towing lest the rear drivetrain be destroyed.

Well, certainly, it's a major investment, and not something I'd just jump into. At the end of the day, it may all be a moot point. If I can't tow much with the Escape, so be it. I like driving, and there are motels everywhere.

Dave

2015 Escape Titanium 4WD
2.0L Eco -- Magnetic Metallic -- Charcoal Black Leather
Equipment Group 300A -- Canadian Touring Package (Power Panorama Roof, My Ford Touch, Sirius, Nav) Trailer Towing, Class II -- Build Date 11/10/2014
Mods: Liftgate Spoiler, Splashguards, Weatherbeater floor liners, Shark Fin antenna, Remin Dash Kit, Novatek Dash Cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 09-12-2016, 09:30 PM

minimalist approach ... very versatile and easy to pull ... been avg right at 24mpg to / from mtns here in the SE at legal speed limit

sylvan go / Escape

016 Ecsape Ti white 2l tow pkg
post #23 of 25 Old 09-20-2016, 01:09 PM

Garage
Just my experience here. I've towed with a 16 Escape (with Factory Tow pack) and a Prodigy 2 brake controller. Maybe 4000KM this year through Canadian mountain passes with a popup trailer; 2050lbs (propane tank, battery, gear included) plus 2 adults, 2 kids and about 160lbs in the cargo area. No issues, handled great up and down the passes and had passing power when needed.

I mentioned in another thread we just upgraded our popup to a larger unit. All-in-all about 300lbs heavier than our current unit. Haven't got it home yet, picking it up tomorrow (Wednesday). Intend on going up a small local mountain to see how she does on the way home.

I search in vain for a hardwall trailer that would fit our family of 4; there is not much out there and what is there is cramped or inconvenient sleeping areas. What I mean by that is some models have a queen bed, then a dinette area that you'd have to tear apart every night for the 3rd and 4th person to sleep on. Then you have to set it up in the morning to eat. Another option is bunks but they are cramped and more for small children (under 10). If there are only 2 people then yes, loads of options for towing with the Escape.

We prefer the popup style in this towing "class". You get more room for your dollar, a friend has a hybrid trailer that is 20' long. Our popup is 21' long once setup. We have a king and double bed, they have 2 doubles. Plus we can sleep 2 more adults and 2 more children on by converting the 2 dinette areas (yes, two! ;-) ) Also, you get a lower towing profile; better wind resistance and gas mileage.

Ingot Silver 2015 EDGE SEL 3.5L AWD, Towing Pack +
post #24 of 25 Old 09-20-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ambermutt and ajuett, I appreciate your comments. But if you see my reply in post #12 above, I've already been down the tent and tent trailer route, and I don't want to go back. I've pretty well come to the conclusion that a hardsided, walk-in trailer the Escape will tow properly just doesn't exist. It's supposed to be a fun thing, and I don't want to white-knuckle my RVing experience.

As I said, I love driving my Escape, and there are motels everywhere.

Dave
ajuett likes this.

2015 Escape Titanium 4WD
2.0L Eco -- Magnetic Metallic -- Charcoal Black Leather
Equipment Group 300A -- Canadian Touring Package (Power Panorama Roof, My Ford Touch, Sirius, Nav) Trailer Towing, Class II -- Build Date 11/10/2014
Mods: Liftgate Spoiler, Splashguards, Weatherbeater floor liners, Shark Fin antenna, Remin Dash Kit, Novatek Dash Cam
post #25 of 25 Old 09-20-2016, 09:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNW View Post
Ambermutt and ajuett, I appreciate your comments. But if you see my reply in post #12 above, I've already been down the tent and tent trailer route, and I don't want to go back. I've pretty well come to the conclusion that a hardsided, walk-in trailer the Escape will tow properly just doesn't exist. It's supposed to be a fun thing, and I don't want to white-knuckle my RVing experience.

As I said, I love driving my Escape, and there are motels everywhere.

Dave
I want a hardwall trailer as well, believe me! :-) Maybe in 4 years (for my 50th) I'll get a SUV that can do the job, Explorer has 5000lbs max which will do just fine.
DaveNW likes this.

Ingot Silver 2015 EDGE SEL 3.5L AWD, Towing Pack +

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page