3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 Old 09-22-2016, 12:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by centex View Post
I'd be looking at the V6 Ecoboost Edge for a more comfortable match (in other words, I think HP and TQ is the 'add-on' you'll be wishing for in the long run ;-).
The only Edge that has the Ecoboost option is the 2015+ Sport model with a 2.7L V6. Unfortunately, it does not have the factory tow package option to be officially rated at 3500lbs. It has a 2000lbs limit for towing. Only the 3.5L V6 ('non-EcoBoost') has the tow package option and is rated at 3500lbs.

Also, the 2.0L in the Escape is 240HP (when using 91+ Octane in the 2016 model, the 2017 has 245HP) and 270 Torque @ 3000RPM. The Edge with the 3.5L V6 option is 285HP and 255 Torque @ 4500RPM. So the Escape has more torque and gets it faster. Plus the Escape is about 800lbs lighter than the Edge. I had the 14 Edge for almost a year before moving into the Escape, there is no noticeable difference when towing.

As for towing a hardside trailer with the Escape I did see a couple on the road with a Boler type and what also looked to be a newer lighter weight travel trailer. What the actual weight was I don't know. I wouldn't go above 2700lbs (loaded and with brake controller) with the Escape. Especially in this region where the mountain passes are large and the cross winds can be quite high as well.

Just an opinion now; popup trailers are less expensive, offer more room and are lighter than the small travel trailers. The only down side is setup time. Takes me about 25min to park, level and setup the rest of the trailer. I don't mind it at all

Ingot Silver 2015 EDGE SEL 3.5L AWD, Towing Pack +
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 09-22-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuett View Post
...Just an opinion now; popup trailers are less expensive, offer more room and are lighter than the small travel trailers. The only down side is setup time. Takes me about 25min to park, level and setup the rest of the trailer. I don't mind it at all
Choice is good and all that matters is that each user is happy as you are with your choice.

But the differences ("down sides") are certainly more than setup time, among the common reasons some prefer full-size over pop-ups ....

+ ability to access the trailer and all it's amenities at any time (e.g. packing in the days before a trip, the 'quick lunch stop' while on the road)
+ no 'setup chores' in hot or wet weather (BTDT in my StarCraft pop-up days and it is not fun)
+ more private inside toilet and shower
+ more storage space/cabinets
+ generally larger refrigerator options
+ better thermal performance/comfort in extreme hot and cold climes
+ better noise insulation (much appreciated in crowded campgrounds)
+ there's more, the longer you RV the more you learn ...

And then there was the time I was forced to stay in a fenced compound at Glacier National Park because 'soft side RVs' were not allowed in the nice RV campground during a 'bad bear season' :-(

There's definite pros and cons for each type, but to oversimplify or ignore them doesn't do anyone any good, just the opposite. Everyone must seriously consider what fits their specific situation best and 'one size/one type' does not fit all.
jshel101 likes this.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-22-2016, 04:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by centex View Post
Choice is good and all that matters is that each user is happy as you are with your choice.

But the differences ("down sides") are certainly more than setup time, among the common reasons some prefer full-size over pop-ups ....

+ ability to access the trailer and all it's amenities at any time (e.g. packing in the days before a trip, the 'quick lunch stop' while on the road)
+ no 'setup chores' in hot or wet weather (BTDT in my StarCraft pop-up days and it is not fun)
+ more private inside toilet and shower
+ more storage space/cabinets
+ generally larger refrigerator options
+ better thermal performance/comfort in extreme hot and cold climes
+ better noise insulation (much appreciated in crowded campgrounds)
+ there's more, the longer you RV the more you learn ...

And then there was the time I was forced to stay in a fenced compound at Glacier National Park because 'soft side RVs' were not allowed in the nice RV campground during a 'bad bear season' :-(

There's definite pros and cons for each type, but to oversimplify or ignore them doesn't do anyone any good, just the opposite. Everyone must seriously consider what fits their specific situation best and 'one size/one type' does not fit all.
My opinion was one from experience with a family of 4. If you intend on towing with the Escape, or any 3500lbs tow limit in general, you'll be hard-pressed to find a light travel trailer that fits and sleeps 4 people as comfortable as a popup and also stay at a reasonable tow weight. At this weight class and with 4 (or more) people the popup trailer is the best option for comfort and price.

Your list is a good reference.

However, the ease of setup is better on some popups than others, as you said, you can't generalize.

Keeping food in a cooler that's in the car or stopping off for a bite to eat in the next town is just as ease as pulling over and starting up the cook top to make a fast snack/meal.

Personally, we got a tent trailer without a toilet so we don't have deal with that type of mess. When piping goes bad, ugg, no thanks! I'd rather the space go to something more useful like storage, etc. Most campsites we go to have a washroom/shower, not an issue.

Appliances are sometimes bigger in a travel trailer, no doubt. As an example our 2015 Jayco 1007 UD has a 2 burner cook top that can be moved in or outdoors, a 3way fridge, furnace, hot water tank, we bought a small microwave oven, 2 dinettes that seat 7 comfortably, a double and king bed, sleeps 7 adults comfortably , outside shower and a keyfob remote to raise and lower the roof. New its worth $18,000 CDN. Equivalent space capacity of travel trailer is going to be $30,000+ and way over the Escape's tow limit. An Explorer or larger vehicle would be needed to tow something like that safely.

As far as campsites that don't allow popups or hybrids there are a 100 more in the area that do.

Noise hasn't been an issue, campsites usually state no noise after 10-11pm so its easy to deal with it if it gets excessive.

Heating, we camped in 0 degrees Celsius with our popup earlier this year. The trailer never got cold and we had the thermostat up halfway. Inside, wearing t-shirts, playing Monoploy ;-) We don't even own those bunk-buddies.

Ingot Silver 2015 EDGE SEL 3.5L AWD, Towing Pack +

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page