What add ons will I need..

I'm about to order the 2017
2.0 EcoBoost
Tow pkg
Sport pkg ..

I'll be towing a 2017 13' Scamp ~
Lets say a max wt@ 2000 # to be safe.
Equipped with electronic brakes .

What I have gathered is that I need to go from 4pin to 7pin...
get a brake controller...
and anti sway bar..

Well who generally do I go to to do this work ?
Is there anything else that I have missed to set this rig up ?

Thanks Everyone~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-21-2016, 05:35 PM

IMHO ....

You need to talk to other local RV-ers to find a competent and conscientious installer for the brake controller and associated 7-pin socket (RV shop).

Are you going to pick-up the Scamp from the factory yourself with the Escape? If yes suggest you talk to them about getting the hitch drawbar/ball assembly and the friction anti-sway-bar there. Those need to be fitted/matched to the trailer and the car (part goes in the car drawbar socket, part bolts to the trailer tongue, they need to be correct for level and length of the pieces for your specific application and that can't be done properly without the car and trailer together).

If having the Scamp delivered, see if you can 'meet it' at the good local RV shop you find and get them to set up the hitch & friction anti-sway-bar there to fit your Escape with the trailer.

I suggest this approach because you may need to try several different drawbar 'offsets' to get it right - it is hard to get a good estimate of the 'sag' you will have without actually trying it on the car and hitching the trailer, and that's critical to getting the trailer to 'tow level'.

Personally, if 'building' this rig I'd go for the Edge with the V6 because of the Scamp frontal area, but I realize you aren't asking ;-)

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-21-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

One more thing..The Sport pkg comes with the 19" wheels.
Should I stick with the 17 when it comes to towing ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-21-2016, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Centex.
I was posting @ the same time.
I'm going to pay the 2000.00 they are quoting to deliver because it's close to 4000 miles round trip and I want to start with small trips to work out any bugs that may come-up.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-21-2016, 05:55 PM

I'd choose the higher sidewall 17's. But then I wouldn't choose the Escape if buying for towing this trailer. You've obviously got an opportunity to 'build' a well-matched 'total rig'. Though the 13' Scamp can be relatively light, the frontal area will make your 2.0 work too hard to try 'keep up with traffic' in hills (forget it in real mountains) and on the highway, IMHO.

I'd be looking at the V6 Ecoboost Edge for a more comfortable match (in other words, I think HP and TQ is the 'add-on' you'll be wishing for in the long run ;-).

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-21-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Because I have limited parking ~
I was trying to find the shortest vehicle that "claims" to tow 3500 lbs.
The edge is about a foot longer.
Other than that ,I don't know if I want to spend an extra 10g's !!

I guess I have more shopping around to do if the consensus will show my thinking to be wrong.
I'm currently in a Toyota dolphin ~and boy do I know how slow those hills can get.

I appreciate your comments centex.
I'll reconsider the sports pkg and stick with the 17's.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-21-2016, 08:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by centex View Post
I'd choose the higher sidewall 17's. But then I wouldn't choose the Escape if buying for towing this trailer. You've obviously got an opportunity to 'build' a well-matched 'total rig'. Though the 13' Scamp can be relatively light, the frontal area will make your 2.0 work too hard to try 'keep up with traffic' in hills (forget it in real mountains) and on the highway, IMHO.

I'd be looking at the V6 Ecoboost Edge for a more comfortable match (in other words, I think HP and TQ is the 'add-on' you'll be wishing for in the long run ;-).
I've done 2000KMs+ this year with my 16 Escape 2.0L EB with factory tow pack and had zero issues in the mountain passes (Canadian Rockies) with about 2100lbs off the hitch, 2 adults, 2 kids and 160lbs in the cargo area. First half of the year we did the same with a 14 Edge Ltd 3.5L V6 with factory tow. Not a noticeable difference.

As of today we upgraded our trailer as well, adding 250lbs to the total on the hitch approx. 2350lbs loaded. The Escape towed it just great, including hills on the way home.

Ingot Silver 2015 EDGE SEL 3.5L AWD, Towing Pack +
post #8 of 13 Old 09-21-2016, 08:07 PM

Garage
Brake controller: there is only one brand name to get. Tekonsha - Brake Controllers

I have the P2 but the P3 is really nice. Either are your best bet.

Ingot Silver 2015 EDGE SEL 3.5L AWD, Towing Pack +
post #9 of 13 Old 09-22-2016, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuett View Post
I've done 2000KMs+ this year with my 16 Escape 2.0L EB with factory tow pack and had zero issues in the mountain passes (Canadian Rockies) with about 2100lbs off the hitch, 2 adults, 2 kids and 160lbs in the cargo area. First half of the year we did the same with a 14 Edge Ltd 3.5L V6 with factory tow. Not a noticeable difference.

As of today we upgraded our trailer as well, adding 250lbs to the total on the hitch approx. 2350lbs loaded. The Escape towed it just great, including hills on the way home.

Towing a tent trailer is a lot different than towing a hard sided trailer. Which the OP asked about. There is s lot more wind resistant with the hard sided. The OP should know what you are towing so they don't get the wrong information on what the Escape can tow
centex likes this.

2014 Ruby Red Titanium 2.0 AWD
401A, Technology, Sony w/nav, 19" Wheels, Tonneau cover

post #10 of 13 Old 09-22-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuett View Post
...As of today we upgraded our trailer as well, adding 250lbs to the total on the hitch approx. 2350lbs loaded. The Escape towed it just great, including hills on the way home.
Your 2015 Jayco 1007 UD 'pop-up' has a gross* frontal area of about 39 sq. ft.

The 13' Scamp has a gross frontal area of about 50 sq. ft.

That's an apples-to-watermelons comparison when talking about wind drag which is (Area x drag coefficient) and increases exponentially with velocity (driving speed).

In any case, the OP certainly has experience with low-power vs large-frontal-area RVs, owning a Toyota Dolphin. Not too many of those nifty rigs on the road any more, it's been awhile since I've seen one .... I shared a campground with a beautifully maintained one a couple of years ago, the owner gave me a tour, it was neat!

Some folks don't mind 'taking it slow' and that's perfectly cool, too!

@GirlGone - I hope you enjoy your Scamp, I'm a long-time 17' Casita owner and love the similar full-fiberglass shell construction. After 11 years it's as solid as new. But I tow it with my pickup, I'm perhaps a bit less patient than you on the highway.

Oh, and to your original question, I think you've got it as far as needed equipment to get the rig going - you're obviously going to be attentive to the weights and balances. Just try to keep that tongue weight closer to the 15% range rather than less, IMHO that does more than anything 'added' to prevent the initiation of the dread 'sway'. I tow at 15% front-weight-bias without any friction device and have never had a hint of sway but I understand the use of the device to give more confidence (it can't hurt anything).

*gross frontal area = ground-to-top x width ('travel' dimensions)
jshel101 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page