5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 01-07-2017, 05:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
As I mentioned in another thread, if you search Ford OEM parts look-up (for the 2017's at least) the radiator and cooling fans are different and note w/ trailer tow package. Also the fan/wiring is fused for 50A vs 40A to accommodate the higher wattage motors. I wouldn't be surprised if the factory tweaks ECM software programming on tow-package equipped Escapes along with trailer sway control.
That may be but one does not get bigger cooling and some of the other stuff listed by others. I researched prior to my purchase. May be true of other vehicles but not Escape. You get hitch, wiring, and software revisions to the transmission with the Escape.

2016 Escape Titanium w/Sync 3v1.1, 2.0 L
2013 Escape SEL w/MFT, 1.6 L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 01-07-2017, 05:57 PM

Arrow context is important

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph7up View Post
That may be but one does not get bigger cooling and some of the other stuff listed by others. I researched prior to my purchase. May be true of other vehicles but not Escape. You get hitch, wiring, and software revisions to the transmission with the Escape.
Based on the vehicle list in your sig-line you shopped '13 and '16 Escapes? Or in any case relied on fairly readily available Ford literature or dealer personnel representations?

@drew 's parts fiche data is pretty compelling regarding at least some '17 model towing package vs non-trailer towing package 'drivetrain hardware' difference - and he's usually careful to mention that year-model context (kudos, drew).

We're seeing yet another reason to be careful about always noting and mentioning year models, especially in regard to pre- vs post- '17 matters.

In this case t'would certainly seem that the 'old conventional wisdom' applicable to '13-'16 not having any 'drivetrain hardware upgrades' (e.g. different if not beefier cooling system) included with the OEM 2.0 Escape Trailer Towing Package doesn't apply to the '17. That does beg the question about other differences that may not have earned a place in Ford's 'advertising literature' but may be suggested in parts-list comparisons.

We can't continue to debate points absent attention to year model context - it doesn't benefit anyone other than the muse of confusion.

We need to be careful about blanket application of information.

And it'll be better for all forum users if we're especially attentive to this sort of thing when reviving 'old' topics or threads, both as readers and respondents.

IMHO

and I certainly wouldn't necessarily rely on dealer sales or technical personnel to be "authorities" about this sort of thing :-0

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 25 Old 01-07-2017, 09:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by centex View Post
Based on the vehicle list in your sig-line you shopped '13 and '16 Escapes? Or in any case relied on fairly readily available Ford literature or dealer personnel representations?

@drew 's parts fiche data is pretty compelling regarding at least some '17 model towing package vs non-trailer towing package 'drivetrain hardware' difference - and he's usually careful to mention that year-model context (kudos, drew).

We're seeing yet another reason to be careful about always noting and mentioning year models, especially in regard to pre- vs post- '17 matters.

In this case t'would certainly seem that the 'old conventional wisdom' applicable to '13-'16 not having any 'drivetrain hardware upgrades' (e.g. different if not beefier cooling system) included with the OEM 2.0 Escape Trailer Towing Package doesn't apply to the '17. That does beg the question about other differences that may not have earned a place in Ford's 'advertising literature' but may be suggested in parts-list comparisons.

We can't continue to debate points absent attention to year model context - it doesn't benefit anyone other than the muse of confusion.

We need to be careful about blanket application of information.

And it'll be better for all forum users if we're especially attentive to this sort of thing when reviving 'old' topics or threads, both as readers and respondents.

IMHO

and I certainly wouldn't necessarily rely on dealer sales or technical personnel to be "authorities" about this sort of thing :-0
Not sure what parts fisch is. Just got off Ford website. As near as I can tell, the coolers and other "larger equipment" that are included in towing packages for say the Ford F150 are NOT a part of the package for the Escape. The 2017 MY information on the Ford Web seems consistent with the 2017 MY that I researched throughly before purchase. Furthermore pricing for the package is same or about same.

I am open to acquiring additional knowledge if I am wrong.

Thanks for the comment

2016 Escape Titanium w/Sync 3v1.1, 2.0 L
2013 Escape SEL w/MFT, 1.6 L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 Old 01-07-2017, 10:49 PM

Sorry, "parts fiche" being old-school shorthand for "parts catalogue microfiche" a reference to OEM replacement parts ordering indices whatever format they're in today. For many decades throughout the industry those parts lists and exploded parts diagrams were maintained on microfiche film and accessed using film-readers on parts department countertops.

Review of the '13-'16 parts fiche shows absolutely no difference in cooling system replacement part numbers for a given model-year between with/without trailer-tow .... strong support for our long-held (and IMHO accurate) deduction that T-T equipped vehicles did not get 'different/beefier cooling' for those model years.

As shown by Drew's links, unlike for the '13-'16 2.0 Escape, the OEM replacement parts catalogue for the '17 shows a distinct difference in replacement radiator and cooling fan assemblies between without/with OEM trailer-tow package applications, with descriptive notations strongly suggesting that the 'with T-T' components are 'heavier duty' in that difference.

Personally, I think that OEM replacement part catalogue data is a better indication of the 'details of built-reality' than the presence or absence of mention in promotional literature. But maybe that's just me and drew.

I've not done a comparison for any other components so I certainly don't assume there are any other 'T-T specific' drivetrain differences on the '17 - but neither do I assume there are not. Nor do I assume a particular relationship between component cost and option package MSRP - IMHO that's clouded by market competition factors - the 'manufacturer margin' on packages may vary depending on what the market will bear.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 25 Old 01-08-2017, 08:21 AM

Had a question, but figure it out. Please ignore this post.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page