5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 12-30-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Towing Confusion and Frustration...!

Hello, I am getting a little frustrated here trying to find the answer to my question by searching the towing forum and I wonder if anyone might help?
I'm looking to buy a second hand Escape and the car sales people are, of course clueless when I ask technical questions, but what is worse, the Ford Dealer service Dept. is not much better: they act like they have never heard of a "Factory Tow Package".

My Question: How do I determine if a used Escape has a factory installed Tow Package (3500lb capacity) or just a "Factory" looking hitch added on after sale (2000lb.cap.)? Is there any way of knowing by looking at the car???

Eg: I just found a nice 2014 Titaniun with 2.0L engine at CarMax. It has a hitch receiver they claim is "factory", but the specs show it only has 2000lb. towing capacity.
I've seen enough misinformation on used car sites to know they don't really know a hitch from a tailpipe, so I want to verify for myself before I buy.

I've installed hitches on other cars and I know I can do it better than most dealers I've known, but I would rather find a car that has the bona fide Factory Tow Package so I get the Max Tow Capacity

I want to purchase a slightly used Escape soon, and I could use some support from a knowledgeable source. Can anyone help?

Many Thanks,

Robob
Prospective Escape Owner
Snellville, GA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-30-2016, 07:36 PM

Garage
Run the VIN through one of the free sites online, and see what was factory installed. Here's one: VIN Decoder - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Dave
atlcarl69 likes this.

2015 Escape Titanium 4WD
2.0L Eco -- Magnetic Metallic -- Charcoal Black Leather
Equipment Group 300A -- Canadian Touring Package (Power Panorama Roof, My Ford Touch, Sirius, Nav) Trailer Towing, Class II -- Build Date 11/10/2014
Mods/Add-ons: Liftgate Spoiler, Splashguards, Weatherbeater floor liners, Shark Fin antenna, Remin Dash Kit, Novatek A118C Dash Cam, Roof Rack Crossbars
post #3 of 25 Old 12-30-2016, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Also, you can check fuse # 26 in the luggage fuse panel. If there is a a fuse there (not a jumper wire) I think it is only populated with the factory tow package.
DaveNW likes this.

ATL GA USA
2013 Titanium<SEL Tuxedo Black 2.0 Built 07.19.2012
OEM Xenons, 302A package, PanoRoof, Sony MFT Nav
Parking Tech Package, PVD Chrome Rims, Ford Tow Pkg
Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 12-30-2016, 08:17 PM

Or here's a vehicle lookup tool directly from Ford, with the OEM options in 'FordSpeak'

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Happy shopping!

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-30-2016, 11:50 PM

etis is a great site

It will say With Class II Trailer Towing

2017 Escape Titanium 2.0L AWD - Shadow Black
post #6 of 25 Old 01-01-2017, 08:09 AM

VIN decoder as the others have said.
post #7 of 25 Old 01-02-2017, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks
post #8 of 25 Old 01-02-2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks. That sounds like it would be a reliable test once I find a car with a hitch on it...
if I ever see one: they're pretty rare. Out of the dozens I've seen (used) in the Atlanta area, only one so far with any kind of hitch on it. I may have to install one after I buy.
post #9 of 25 Old 01-02-2017, 08:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robob View Post
Hey, thanks. That sounds like it would be a reliable test once I find a car with a hitch on it...
if I ever see one: they're pretty rare. Out of the dozens I've seen (used) in the Atlanta area, only one so far with any kind of hitch on it. I may have to install one after I buy.
Keep in mind that aftermarket hitch installs limit towing to 2000 pounds. If your needs are for more than that, you may not be able to do it. Factory installed hitch tow limit is 3500 pounds. Search the forums here for lengthy discussions of the differences.

Dave

2015 Escape Titanium 4WD
2.0L Eco -- Magnetic Metallic -- Charcoal Black Leather
Equipment Group 300A -- Canadian Touring Package (Power Panorama Roof, My Ford Touch, Sirius, Nav) Trailer Towing, Class II -- Build Date 11/10/2014
Mods/Add-ons: Liftgate Spoiler, Splashguards, Weatherbeater floor liners, Shark Fin antenna, Remin Dash Kit, Novatek A118C Dash Cam, Roof Rack Crossbars
post #10 of 25 Old 01-02-2017, 01:29 PM

When you find a factory hitch information it will give the towing capacity of the vehicle. The additional equipment on factory hitches include larger radiators possibly heavier suspensions, larger brakes and different gear ratios.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page