2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Recalls/TSBs - 2013/14 Ford Escape

261K views 246 replies 73 participants last post by  MOONRNR 
#1 ·
If you know of a recall or service notices and bulletins / TSB on the Ford Escape here is the place to list it and share what it is. I think it would help others in dealing with dealerships when trying to service cars for known issues. :(

Please share!

#91 ·
To anyone getting TSB 13-01-05 done, BE ADVISED:

The computer will be bypassed. The car will no longer know a trailer is attached. BLIS will always be active, as opposed to before it was deactivated when a trailer is attached. Rear parking aid will be active, as opposed to before, it was deactivated. You will have to turn it off manually every time you cycle the ignition.

Most importantly, the trailer sway control feature will no longer work.

I'm seriously thinking of uninstalling this TSB as I loose more features than I gain.

#93 ·
Adding a new TSB to this thread that someone posted elsewhere regarding engine fault light:

TSB 13-7-5

#94 ·
I am cracking my headlamps open to black them out, adding LED blinkers under the titanium LED DRL, turning all the lower lamps into fogs, and doing slotted/x-drilled rotors with red caliper paint/and covers and noted the battery died within two weeks. Looks like I need the motor replaced. Thanks for this post--I also have sticky door handles. :)

#95 ·
#96 ·
#98 ·
BCM 5606 – 2013 Escape – Intermittent Liftgate Operation With DTCS C2006 And/ Or B1453
Some 2013 Escape vehicles equipped with a power or hands-free liftgate may exhibit intermittent liftgate operation with Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) C2006 and/ or B1453. Using IDS, click on DTC and if status is history, clear DTC and attempt to duplicate customers concern before performing additional diagnostic. If DTC status is active, proceed with normal diagnostics, refer to Workshop Manual 1 (WSM), Section 501-03, Liftgate/Trunk Module (LTM) DTC Chart. The Rear Gate Trunk Module (RGTM) is incorrectly referred to as the LTM in the WSM and is being updated. These DTCS can be set by alignment, obstructions, water intrusion, ice, extremely low ambient temperatures, or customer pushing against an open or close event. The WSM diagnostics for the liftgate are currently being updated; please continue to monitor OASIS.

#99 ·
Steering Fault

BCM 5551 - 2013 Escape - MESSAGE CENTER - "STEERING
ASSIST FAULT SERVICE REQUIRED" - FALSE MESSAGE

Some 2013 Escape may temporarily display the messag
e Steering Assist Fault Service Required (approximately 1-2 seconds before disappearing) in the cluster on initial startup with no corresponding loss of assist or steering DTCs.This temporary fault message occurs due to a communication/timing issue between the steering and cluster modules when the vehicle is driven before exiting Transport Mode. If this message is seen in transport mode, put it in customer mode and check to see if the message still appears. If the message still occurs, check for DTCs. If DTCs are present, refer to the appropriate Workshop Manual diagnostics. If there are no DTCs and the steering gear has assist, do not replace or service the steering gear or cluster. No further action is required. This false message will not recur as long as the vehicle is in Customer Mode.

#100 ·
BCM 5542 – 2013 Escape 1.6L – New Features With FSA
12S41 Calibration Effect – Select Shift In Drive

2013 Escape 1.6L gets two new features after FSA 12S41. Temporary manual shift control is provided by manually pressing the toggle button with the gear shift in D
(drive) position, press the (+) button to upshift, press the (-) button to downshift. This functionally is referred to as “Live in Drive”. The system will determine when temporary
manual control is no longer desired and reverts back to automatic control or the shifter can be moved to S (sport) and back to D (drive). Extensive manual control is achieved by moving the shifter to the S (sport) position. The system will stay in manual control until the shifter is moved out of the S (sport) position. A calibration will be released 1st
quarter for customers that do not want the “Live I n Drive” option. The second feature is the gear display in the cluster will be larger and color changed to orange.

#101 ·
#102 ·
It's interesting that Ford has issued a full-fledged TSB just for the MFT 3.6.2 update. Although most of us here already have performed the update ourselves, what I suppose this means is that if you want your dealer to do it for you, you can have it done for free as warranty service, per the TSB. The dealer can't tack on a fee.

#103 ·
I thought so too - my dealership has historically done these upgrades for me in the past and never charges as a courtesy. The TSB was a new twist...though I do seem to recall a thread here which made this particular one seem a little more complicated than some of the others.
I just try to post any of the ones I have not seen before to this thread. I have been keeping them in an Word doc for my own sanity.

#105 ·
Wow-so glad I found this forum. I have experienced almost all of these issues and then some with my new 2013 Escape. Anyone getting a coolant odor or unexplained slow coolant loss? No obvious leaks but coolant level is low every few 1000 miles. no misfire or smoke out the tailpipe indicating an internal leak...very frustrating.

#106 · (Edited)
#107 ·
#109 ·
:) that is what I do. Thanks for the information - good to know! It is nice having an insider in the forum!

#110 ·
this might be a silly question, but where are you guys searching/finding these TSBs? i've tried a google search and can come up with some lists, but none of the results i'm finding are on the server that you guys are coming up with (fordservicecontent.com).

thanks!

#112 · (Edited)
this might be a silly question, but where are you guys searching/finding these TSBs? i've tried a google search and can come up with some lists, but none of the results i'm finding are on the server that you guys are coming up with (fordservicecontent.com).

thanks!
Hi - Not a dumb quuestion, it took me awhile to figure it out as well. Here is how I have had success finding these. I type this exact thing below into the google search bar:

www.fordservicecontent.com/pubs/content 2013 ford escape

it typically brings up a lot of search results - but you can sort of see the most recent ones because they will have a date right in the preview of the available information in the link. And of course you can also tell from the name of the TSB - which includes the date it was issued. There may be another slicker way - but this has been working for me. I typically go out every couple of months and search just in case there is something new. I have been logging them into a Word document for my own safe keeping and posting them here in this thread when I find something new.

Sometimes (I am not sure why) Google will return only 4 pages or so of search results on this same search - and you will see at the end of the last page a messager that says this:

"In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 34 already displayed.
If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included. "

If this happens to you - click on the link to show the search including the omitted results and you should see all of the TSB's.
https://www.google.com/#

#113 ·
"Steering Assist Fault Service Required” – False Message

BCM 5681 – 2013 Escape – Message Center – “Steering
Assist Fault Service Required” – False Message

Some 203 Escape may temporarily display the message
“Steering Assist Fault Service Required” (approximately 1-2 seconds before disappearing ) in the cluster on initial startup with no corresponding loss of assist or steering DTCS. This temporary fault message occurs due to a communication/ timing issue between the steering and cluster modules when the vehicle is driven. If this message is seen in transport mode, put it in customer mode and check to see if the message still appears. If the message still occurs, check for DTCS. If DTCS are present, refer to the appropriate Workshop Manual diagnostics. If there are no DTCS and the steering gear has assist, do not replace or service the steering gear or cluster. No further action is required, please continue to monitor OASIS

#114 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ford's press release [Nov. 2013 1.6L recall]

RECALL Subject : Engine Compartment Fuel Line May Leak
Report Receipt Date: NOV 25, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V584000
Component(s): FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number of Units Affected: 9,469
Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company

SUMMARY:
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2013 Escape vehicles manufactured from October 5, 2011, through July 11, 2012, and equipped with a 1.6L engine subject to prior safety recall NHTSA 12V-336. In some cases, the engine compartment fuel line may have been installed incorrectly when repaired under the prior recall. The misinstalled fuel line could chafe and eventually leak fuel.

CONSEQUENCE:
A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire.

REMEDY:
Ford will notify owners and dealers will inspect the engine compartment fuel line, and if necessary, replace it, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin by January 23, 2014. Owners may contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's recall number is 13S12.

NOTES:
This recall is in addition to NHTSA recall 12V-336. All covered vehicles, regardless of being remedied under the earlier recall, require an inspection and a remedy for this campaign. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

#115 · (Edited by Moderator)
Interesting details from NHTSA site [Nov. 2013 1.6L recall]

573.6 (c) (6) - Chronology of Events
In July 2012, Ford issued recall 12S35 (NHTSA #12V-336) to address engine compartment fuel
lines that may have been potentially damaged during its manufacture.
In December 2012, Ford issued recall 12S41 (NHTSA #12V-551) to address engine
compartment fires in 2013 model year Ford Escape vehicles equipped with 1.6L engines.
Ford analyzed each subsequent warranty claim, field report, or claim alleging an engine
compartment fire, of any magnitude, for these vehicles. Ford conducted in depth review of
engines and vehicles reacquired from customers to analyze the potential causes of the fires.
Beginning in late August through October, Ford began to receive a series of engine
compartment fire reports, indicating a potential trend. An investigation of each incident was
immediately initiated. A teardown of engines returned from the field indicated engine
overheating and cracked cylinder heads that allowed oil to leak, and the investigation began to
focus on the potential for an overheat condition to cause the cylinder head to crack prior to
being damaged in the fire.
As part of the investigation, vehicles and engines were tested under severe load and
temperature conditions that were considered most likely to create a potential for overheating;
however, this severe testing was unable to duplicate a cylinder head crack. Review of the
conditions at the time of the fires also did not suggest severe loading or high ambient
temperatures were involved.
Subsequently, CAE modeling was used to evaluate what unique environmental and engine
operating conditions might lead to cylinder head cracking in this location. The modeling
predicted that under certain operating conditions, localized overheating of the cylinder head
could cause sufficient stresses to crack the head in the location found on field returns.
Additional testing was conducted through October in an attempt to replicate the field events and
correlate the CAE model, but was not successful.
In late October/early November, additional engines were returned and analyzed, and additional
cases of cylinder head cracking were identified. In November, an overheat crack was
reproduced on an engine dynamometer test.
During this engineering investigation, Ford identified warranty reports of fuel odor or leaks
related to engine compartment fuel lines on 2013 model year Ford Escape vehicles that were
previously remedied under Ford recall 12S35 (NHTSA #12V-336). Subsequent investigation by
Ford identified that some engine compartment fuel lines may have been installed incorrectly by
service technicians, creating a chafe condition. Ford's analysis indicated that, over a period of
time, the chafe condition has resulted in reports of fuel odor and leaks, but there have been no
reports of fires, accidents or injuries attributed to this condition.
On November 18, 2013, Ford's Field Review Committee reviewed the data and determined that
a safety defect exists, and that a voluntary safety recall should be conducted.

#116 · (Edited by Moderator)
[Nov. 2013 1.6L recall]

For those of you wanting to know if you vehicle is impacted - go to the Ford owners website owner.ford.com/
and enter your VIN in the recall notices page.

Mine is impacted and it was listed on this page that this recall applies to my car - I would assume all impacted vehicles are noted there - if yours is not listed then you are probably okay.

Good luck.

#122 ·
Does anyone have a link to TBS 13-3-14? My escape seems to have very early down shifting and late up shifting.

#123 ·
#128 ·
BJeans, Thanks! I have to take it in for a door unlock touch sensor that randomly doesn't always work. I will ask my dealer to look into the aggressive shift point problem. Hopefully they reprogram the PCM and it calms the shift points down I'll let you know. Alan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.