12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 11-06-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Size of lug nut socket?

I have a 2014 Escape S with the stock 17" steel wheels.

1. Does anybody know what the exact size is for a socket for the lug nuts? I'm going to be doing my own tire rotations, so want to be sure I have the right socket for my torque wrench when I do my first tire rotation....which is coming up.

2. Secondary question. What is your tire rotation interval? I'm thinking about going with 5k which would correspoind with whem I'm changing my oil (Motorcraft semi-synthetic, Motorcraft stock filter)

Thanks!

"Without data, all you have is an opinion!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-06-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbirchlake View Post
I have a 2014 Escape S with the stock 17" steel wheels.

1. Does anybody know what the exact size is for a socket for the lug nuts? I'm going to be doing my own tire rotations, so want to be sure I have the right socket for my torque wrench when I do my first tire rotation....which is coming up.

2. Secondary question. What is your tire rotation interval? I'm thinking about going with 5k which would correspoind with whem I'm changing my oil (Motorcraft semi-synthetic, Motorcraft stock filter)

Thanks!
1. 19mm

2. not sure

Vin

2013 SEL 2.0L AWD
post #3 of 25 Old 11-07-2014, 09:34 AM

Garage
Stock lug nuts are 19mm. I have 4 snows mounted on other rims, so I just rotate twice a year when I change over my tires. I don't drive a lot of miles though. Over the years I've bought many sets of tires from my local Dunn Tire Store. They always recommended 5000 miles for rotating tires. I think you're good to go with that.
bigbirchlake likes this.

2017 Lincoln MKC Reserve
White Platinum w/Hazelnut leather
2.3L Ecoboost
Equipment group 300A
Technology Package
Climate Package
18" Wheels

Built 1/27/17

2011 Escape Limited 4WD, 3.0 V-6
Steel Blue w/Charcoal black leather
Loaded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 11-08-2014, 10:46 PM

Garage
What he said. ^. I'm running 5000 mile oil changes, so I rotate the tires when I change my oil.
bigbirchlake likes this.

2013 SEL 2.0L
1979 Chevy C-10 350 V-8
2002 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100

I can't keep things OEM...
post #5 of 25 Old 04-08-2015, 04:07 PM

Is this normal??

Did my rear brakes this weekend. They had 52,000 miles on them. Hardest part of the job was the lug nuts. I'm not sure what the heck was going on, but my breaker bar wasn't good enough. I had to go get a length of pipe to get the lug nuts off. Anyway, my real concern is that my 19mm socket just doesn't seem to fit very well on the lug nuts. I mean it only goes on like a 1/4" at best. I had to hammer it on to really get a decent purchase so not to round over the lugs. This is my nice Mac socket set. I've got all kinds of deep well sockets, mac,husky, craftsman, and even my 3/4" isn't going on the socket very well. Can someone shed some light on this for me. I've got the 19" stock Titanium rims. It was really way to hard to remove and tighten the lug nuts. Walked over to my Honda and my sockets slip right on, all the way. What's going on???

2013 Ginger Ale Titanium 2.0 AWD, Factory Tow Package, Pano Roof and Roof Rack, Kuga LED Rear Tail Lights, Factory Added NAV, factory Added Rear Camera, Rear Spoiler, Build Date - Sept. 2012
post #6 of 25 Old 04-08-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayaiKuruma View Post
Anyway, my real concern is that my 19mm socket just doesn't seem to fit very well on the lug nuts. I mean it only goes on like a 1/4" at best. I had to hammer it on to really get a decent purchase so not to round over the lugs. This is my nice Mac socket set. I've got all kinds of deep well sockets, mac,husky, craftsman, and even my 3/4" isn't going on the socket very well. Can someone shed some light on this for me. I've got the 19" stock Titanium rims. It was really way to hard to remove and tighten the lug nuts. Walked over to my Honda and my sockets slip right on, all the way. What's going on???
The lug nuts have a stainless steel sheet metal cap or cover that distorts from the torque from the installation and removal.....when a impact wrench is used for removal and/or installation, the cap is deformed significantly. It really doesn't take many on/off cycles to deform the cap to the point a socket will no longer slide on easily. The only remedy is remove the caps and use a smaller socket (UGLY!) or replace the lug nuts.
Removing and replacing the lug nuts by hand only is the only way to minimize the damage. Good luck getting a dealer to not use an impact!

Another thought, the use of a 12pt socket or worn out sockets accelerate this damage, also the common use of a worn 3/4" socket is common.......a bad thing.
bigbirchlake and escape05xls like this.

2013 Ford Escape SE, 2.0L, factory tow pkg, built 2-21-13
post #7 of 25 Old 04-08-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebulon View Post
The lug nuts have a stainless steel sheet metal cap or cover that distorts from the torque from the installation and removal.....when a impact wrench is used for removal and/or installation, the cap is deformed significantly. It really doesn't take many on/off cycles to deform the cap to the point a socket will no longer slide on easily. The only remedy is remove the caps and use a smaller socket (UGLY!) or replace the lug nuts.
Removing and replacing the lug nuts by hand only is the only way to minimize the damage. Good luck getting a dealer to not use an impact!

Another thought, the use of a 12pt socket or worn out sockets accelerate this damage, also the common use of a worn 3/4" socket is common.......a bad thing.
Thank you very much for the reply! Yeah, I think your right, the impact drivers the shops use have ruined my lugs. As far as my stuff, it's 6 points all the way. I very rarely break out my 12 points anymore, only if I'm in a really confined space.

Wow, makes me want to get aftermarket lugs.
Vintre likes this.

2013 Ginger Ale Titanium 2.0 AWD, Factory Tow Package, Pano Roof and Roof Rack, Kuga LED Rear Tail Lights, Factory Added NAV, factory Added Rear Camera, Rear Spoiler, Build Date - Sept. 2012
post #8 of 25 Old 04-08-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayaiKuruma View Post
Wow, makes me want to get aftermarket lugs.
Careful, chrome plating has a tougher time with impact wrenches. This may be a good excuse for aftermarket rims which use caps over the hub, covering the lugs.....no worries!
Yeah, an expensive fix to a simple problem.....excuse for new rims!

2013 Ford Escape SE, 2.0L, factory tow pkg, built 2-21-13
post #9 of 25 Old 04-08-2015, 06:23 PM

I just can't believe how most if not all of them are toast.

post #10 of 25 Old 04-08-2015, 10:44 PM

Ya that happened to my old escape winter lugs. I used my impact, only to remove them, and man it didn't take more than 2 times and the lug nuts were deformed and sucked! They'd get suck in the socket and cause headaches. By hand ftw!

2015 Escape Ti 2.0 AWD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page