2013 / 2014 / 2015 Ford Escape Forum

2013 / 2014 / 2015 Ford Escape Forum (http://www.fordescape.org/forum/)
-   Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension (http://www.fordescape.org/forum/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/)
-   -   Tire Chains? (http://www.fordescape.org/forum/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/8906-tire-chains.html)

socal-detroiter 11-09-2013 01:40 PM

Tire Chains?

Here in CA you are required to have tire chains with you when entering a chain control area even with 4W or AWD. It's quite common to come across chain control areas in the mountains in the winter. I've got a 2014 Titanium 2.0 with AWD and the 18" wheels and the Conti Pro Contact 235/50 R18's on them. The owners manual says not to use chains with wheels over 17 inches. I don't really expect to need them but I'm not sure what to get since they're required. Probably going to just get some low profile cable chains and hope I don't need them. Something like these that need 1/4 of inside sidewall clearance:

SCC Super Z6

Don't really want to go with snow tires and smaller wheels but that is a possibility and would still require that I carry chains.

What's everyone else doing about tire chains in CA (or wherever)?

Oneilljf 11-09-2013 02:09 PM

It is extremely rare that they will not let you through with an AWD but on occasion may ask to see the chains you are required to carry. In conditions bad enough to restrict AWD, you probably wouldn't want to drive anyways. With my last AWD car I bought a cheap pair of used chains to show them in case they asked, which they never did. I will probably carry the same set in my Escape.

MCoupe 11-09-2013 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
couldn't resist...

socal-detroiter 11-30-2013 02:06 PM

Update

I broke down and bought a set of these from Amazon:

I just test fit them on the front of my 2014 Titanium with the stock wheels and stock Conti Pro Contact 235/50 rxq18 97h tires on it. They look like they're going to work but the clearance at the top of the inside where the strut comes down is REALLY tight. I only pulled in and out of the driveway so I'm still not 100% on the clearance. I'm hoping I don't need to use them but have them if I'm in a pinch. These are the lowest profile cable chains I could find and I can't imagine that anything thicker would clear. I think some 17" steel wheels with snow tires are a much better solution.

bisjoe 11-30-2013 06:39 PM

These are legal in our state (and some others). I may pick up 4 of therm.

Front page - Autosock

Yakima Herald Republic | Tire socks a new alternative to chains in Washington

bjeans 12-01-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisjoe (Post 121353)

Front page - Autosock

Yakima Herald Republic | Tire socks a new alternative to chains in Washington

Nice. I'll have to check if they have them for the 19" tires.

vision67 12-01-2013 07:23 AM

Chains may chip Aluminum Wheels

From the page 250 of the 2014 FE owners manual: If you need to use cables, it is recommended that steel wheels (of the same size and specifications) be used, as cables may chip aluminum wheels. And: Do not use chains or cables on
235/50R18 and 235/45R19 tires.

I'd be disappointed if my wheels were damaged by chains.

bjeans 12-01-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisjoe (Post 121353)
Front page - Autosock

Their website "app" and their Amazon chart show two different sizes for the 235/45/R19s on the 2013 Titaniums. I emailed them.

Has anyone heard of or tried these? The 19" tire size isn't listed - emailed them too. A couple people commented about them on the Amazon sock page. I don't know if they're legal for the California folks for chain-required areas.
Go Vs SNOCLAWS - Tired of Tire Chains? Advanced Traction Systems, GoClaws, SnoClaws, SnoBootz, Inventor Tony Bright

EDIT: Already heard back from them. (I had mentioned I hadn't verified clearance yet.) "Once you verify you have sufficient clearance, our SnoClaws # T-33-6-1 will fit this tire size. Appreciate your interest!"

socal-detroiter 12-01-2013 12:41 PM

I was looking at the snoclaws as well. Curious if the clearance is going to be any better than the SCC Super Z6 cable chains I bought. the Z6 cables are really low profile there's just not much room in there even with the 18" wheels, I suspect it's even worse with the 19's.

As far as the cables damaging the wheels I was pleasantly surprised that the cables with the tighteners on still don't touch the wheels. The sidewalls on the 18" bulge out just enough that the cables stand off from the wheels. Now it's still not impossible that these might make some contact with the wheels but at least they're not rubbing against them when initially mounted.

1968stangman 02-09-2014 09:54 PM

I just drove about 50 miles in snow the last 3 days with the Super Z6 SZ143 chains on my 18" tires. Worked perfectly with no interference. Just be careful when installing that you don't accidently wrap the chain around the tab that sticks out from the front strut like I did. Luckily I noticed that when inspecting the installation before driving. Never went over 30mph as the instructions said.