2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Rear Brake Job with EPB

Tags
brake epb
39K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  BigShug 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience on rear brake job with EPB (electric parking brake) for 2013(and later) AWD model?
Is there any difference to push the piston back compare to the one without EPB, or is a special brake compressor tool needed? Thanks.

#2 ·
I know that the 2013-2016 will be a "wind back" type which need a tool to do. You can rent them from most auto parts stores. I believe that the Electric Brake started with 2017. I read something about a "Maintenance mode" and then you would probably have to wind it back as well.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks DJ_SpaRky and Centex.

My Escape is 2017, and I plan to replace the rear pads .

I'm trying to check "Maintenance mode". I bought Haynes manual, but it does not say anything about EPB:(

I found in below link, it says:
--To replace the rear brake pads, the EPB must be set in the Maintenance Mode before you retract the caliper pistons. You do NOT have to rotate the caliper piston like you did in previous model years

Disable Ford Electronic Parking brake ? Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice | Automotive Repair Tips and How-To

#5 ·
Another FYI ...

See item 1.b at this post - the definitive genuine Ford Motorcraft Service / Repair Manual, only $22 for 72-hour access and you can print the info to your heart's content.

Just might find you can print / archive lots of other items of interest for future maintenance tasks in that 72 hours.

Just for your consideration. ;)

#19 ·
Good discussion here, thanks for all the information guys

I'm getting ready to replace all 4 corners. Think I should go rotors too or leave them as they are now? I'm just on 25K miles

#22 ·
Hi, I replaced the brakes and rotors on my 2017 and also forgot to enter it into the service mode, I realized this before finishing the right rear side. Now I’ve ran into the issue of the EPB works as it should but I have an extremely soft brake pedal that will occasionally get hard but fades out. I’ve tried bleeding the system and also something to note is that with the EPB applied both rear brakes hold strong but with just the brake pedal applied the right rear will spin freely. I did have a little fluid come out of the piston on the right rear caliper but it doesn’t appear to be leaking now, any advice? Should I just replace the right rear caliper? Thanks

#24 ·
@BigShug - Unfortunately, I had to replace both calipers and both EPB motors. When I had the right caliper off I activated the EPB and it overextended and ripped something causing a leak inside the boot. It wasn't visibly leaking outside or dripping either though. The EPB motor stripped itself I guess and would only extend partially. It's a family car and safety is most important so I just sucked it up and replaced everything...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.