• 4 Post By williambs55

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-15-2017 Thread Starter

Model Year: 2017
Engine: 1.5 Turbo Ecoboost
Drivetrain:FWD
Garage
Rear Lower Bumper LED Light Install

This project takes some time with lots of ties and tape!

The project was the replacement of the reflectors with LED Tailight, Turn and Stop Signals in the lower rear bumper using a Curt Custom Wiring Harness on a 2017 Escape.

The major items that were used for this project are pictured below.

The extra time to wrap the wiring in convoluted tubing underneath made for a nice install and keeps the wiring protected.

Now the items list:
CURT 56320 Custom Wiring Harness From Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopkins Towing Solutions 20' Trailer End Y-Harness 4-Wire Flat Set From Walmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/16782547

Items from eBay

Pair-replacement-rear-bumper-lights-Fog-lights-For-Ford-Escape-2013-2016
Pair replacement rear bumper lights Fog lights For Ford Escape 2013-2016 | eBay

2x RED 50-SMD Car 3157 3156 LED Bulbs Brake Tail Stop Light 3057 3457 4157 3047
2x RED 50-SMD Car 3157 3156 LED Bulbs Brake Tail Stop Light 3057 3457 4157 3047 | eBay

2X Brake Turn Signal Light Lamp Socket Harness Wires Adapter LED 3157 3357 4157
2X Brake Turn Signal Light Lamp Socket Harness Wires Adapter LED 3157 3357 4157 | eBay

These were the major items, you also need wire ties, electrical tape, convoluted tubing, butt splice connectors, and heavy duty hook and loop fastener for mounting the Curt Unit.

This video from Curt Manufacturing helped with the install of the Wiring Adapter
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...leid=201745664

The Hopkins Wiring Harness provided the additional length of cable to run through the floor of the luggage compartment to the LED light locations in the driver and passenger side. The brown taillight wire is run for both sides along with the turn/stop light wire in this kit. There is also a white ground which will need to be spliced with two longer white wires to provide ground to the led light sockets.

Running the T connectors into the tailights takes some extra care while slitting the grommet to allow just enough room to get the connectors through without making too large of a slit. That makes for a nicer seal when you put the black silicone sealer on the grommets to seal the slits.

The Hopkins wiring harness was down through the floor on the drivers side rear luggage compartment by making a small slit in that grommet that has a cable running through for the under chassis connections. You can see that grommet and the existing cable running through it in the photo.

There was a slight modification required to the light housings to accept the sockets as one of the lugs is larger and the light housings lug cutouts all came the same size. A Stanley knife and a few minutes of carving and they fit good and snug.

The install takes about 5 hours for a semi experienced installer like myself. I am a stickler about details and that slows me down quite a bit.

The LED's were not too bright, but bright enough to be seen well and still not over power the upper tailights.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0019.jpg (212.6 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpeg Attachment-1.jpeg (137.5 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0024.jpg (232.5 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0025.jpg (163.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0026.jpg (192.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0027.jpg (143.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0028.JPG (296.5 KB, 115 views)

2017 Ford Escape SE FWD
- Sync 3 & Sync Connect
- 201a package
- SE Technology Package
- BLIS and Reverse Sensing
- Power Liftgate
- 1.5 Eco Boost Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-17-2017

Model Year: 2015
Engine: 2.0 Petrol
Drivetrain:AWD
williambs55, very nice, so the US version doesn't have light there? that is the rear fog lamp for all the Asian model.

2015 Kuga Titanium (Ginger Ale) 2.0 AWD, Technology Pack, Vista roof.
* Eng. Mods: Green Filter #7159, Boomba BOV (was using TurboSmart BOV), CX-Racing FMIC Kit, 3" DP with 200 cell cat, 2.5" catback with Dynomax mufflers, SCT Livewire TS (Unleashed), oil Catch Can, Stainless braided brake line, Hawk's pads.
* Int. Mods: AMG paddle shifters.
* Ext. Mods: Amber/White Light Bar, LED puddle & license plate lights, lifted 30mm (front leveling), 16 lbs Flow Formed wheel on Toyo OP HT tire.
post #3 of 4 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Model Year: 2017
Engine: 1.5 Turbo Ecoboost
Drivetrain:FWD
Garage
An update to my MOD of putting in the lower led lights utilizing the trailer wiring kit.
There is a bug that showed up since I updated Sync3.

With the trailer kit connected, a signal is now received by the BCM from the trailer wiring harness that makes the BCM think there is a trailer connected causing the Crossover warning system to turn off. It seems the BCM is now seeing a trailer connected, so it turns off to keep from sending false signals when using the trailer.

How did I find this out. Honestly it wasn’t me, rather the Ford Service Department discovered after many trips to the shop found by communicating with the Ford Techs at FMC that this behavior is what the system is supposed to do when a trailer harness is connected to the system. Before the Sync update in December the Crossover warning worked with the harness connected.
The Ford Service Department disconnected the harness from both taillights and the Crossover warning system began working again.
I am okay with this as it’s more important to have the Crossover warning then the lower led lights working, so I am opting to leave the harness disconnected.

The service manager said he was going to do more research for a way to wire the led lights without running them through the BCM. He didn’t promise, but will try.

The service manager also said the installation I did was like a factory installation and wasn’t causing any other issues.

This is a fairly large dealership and they are very customer service oriented.

We almost bought our new escape from them and the only thing that made us go to the other dealer was the car color with the package we wanted was at the other dealership.

2017 Ford Escape SE FWD
- Sync 3 & Sync Connect
- 201a package
- SE Technology Package
- BLIS and Reverse Sensing
- Power Liftgate
- 1.5 Eco Boost Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Model Year: 2015
Engine: 2.0
Drivetrain:AWD
Vey nice write up @williambs55 !
Quote:
Originally Posted by williambs55 View Post
Running the T connectors into the tailights takes some extra care while slitting the grommet to allow just enough room to get the connectors through without making too large of a slit. That makes for a nicer seal when you put the black silicone sealer on the grommets to seal the slits..
Instead of slit the grommet, unwrapped the tape at the end of the grommet where the existing wires go through and run your new wire through the same place will help better prevent leak than silicon a slit.

2015 2.0 SE AWD Tuxedo Black with Basic SYNC