LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

2013 1.6 erratic idle

I changed the water pump on my 2013 1.6 ecoboost. After reassembly it started first try with no hesitation. The RPMs jumped up to around 1500 initially but immediately dropped to around 700. After a few seconds sitting at 700 they started to fluctuate between 650 and 800 more or less. It doesn't die or idle rough, RPM's just wander. I test drove it and it seems to shift weird and accelerates with a mind of its own ever now and then.
It seems like I may have knocked a vacuum line off or a sensor not plugged back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Forgot to add I am not getting any codes.
post #3 of 7 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Model Year: 2017
Engine: 2.0
Drivetrain:AWD
What do the fuel trims look like at idle? I'd have to look at the procedure, but if you removed anything with a gasket or hose (like the intake manifold) that would be suspect.

2017 Titanium AWD 2.0L EB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I will have to check. I think I didn't get the crankshaft pulley back on in the right orientation. Could it be that my crankshaft position sensor is thinking I'm not in time?
The only thing I removed with a gasket was the water pump. I locked the timing belt in place with a wedge so I wouldn't have to take the cam cover off. I am about to tear it back apart and replace the timing belt this time.
post #5 of 7 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarlatt View Post
I will have to check. I think I didn't get the crankshaft pulley back on in the right orientation. Could it be that my crankshaft position sensor is thinking I'm not in time?
The only thing I removed with a gasket was the water pump. I locked the timing belt in place with a wedge so I wouldn't have to take the cam cover off. I am about to tear it back apart and replace the timing belt this time.
Definitely yes, you are not supposed to remove the crankshaft pulley to replace the water pump. If you remove the crankshaft pulley, you need a special tool to align it when you reinstall it. There is also a specific torque sequence to follow with the bolt. If that pulley is off even a little bit you can have idle and running problems since the crankshaft signal is very important for the whole engine strategy.

If you are going to replace the timing belt, please make sure you have a copy of the correct procedure before starting or you could create a headache. It involves locking the crankshaft and cams in position while removing the belt. It is not as simple as some other makes where you just line up dots. You will also need the aforementioned crankshaft pulley alignment tool to put that back on properly.

The pulley tool is 303-1550. You can buy one online.

post #6 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Fixing my error and decided to go ahead and replace the timing belt and tensioner in the process. I put my TDC pin in and rotated my crank until it makes contact. When it is in contact my variable cam tool will not go in the clutches. I actually have to back my crank up a little bit in order to get that tool in. Does this mean something is wrong? I have not taken the belt off yet because I want to lock the flywheel down first and I have to buy that tool. Also, is it imperative to pull the cam cover and lock the cams in from the back because I am getting mixed responses from people I am talking to.
post #7 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarlatt View Post
Fixing my error and decided to go ahead and replace the timing belt and tensioner in the process. I put my TDC pin in and rotated my crank until it makes contact. When it is in contact my variable cam tool will not go in the clutches. I actually have to back my crank up a little bit in order to get that tool in. Does this mean something is wrong? I have not taken the belt off yet because I want to lock the flywheel down first and I have to buy that tool. Also, is it imperative to pull the cam cover and lock the cams in from the back because I am getting mixed responses from people I am talking to.
So I believe that means that your timing belt sprocket has slipped a little bit on the crankshaft since you removed the crank pulley bolt. It is not keyed. Therefore you have to be extra careful that everything is right before putting the crank pulley on.

You will want to remove the crank sprocket and sensor, and install it back on with the belt with everything locked so it's in the right spot.

The service manual doesn't talk about using the bar on the end of the camshafts, I think that's only if you're adjusting stuff with the valves, camshafts, or VCT. So just worry about getting the crankshaft, camshaft sprockets, and crank pulley in time.