1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter

Unhappy Steering failure issue.

So,
New here and thank you for having me.
My concern is with a 15 Escape with 65K on it.

Here is my concern. My wife was on a long trip in the Escape. She had her mother and the kids with here. Half way across New Mexico the steering quit with a warning on the dash. She called me freaking out and insisted I come get her. So, in the car I go and make the 6 hour trip to Truth or Consequences. Trade her cars and drive the Escape home. Zero steering assist. Not fun but drivable. Drop it at the dealer and they are telling me it needs a 1900 dollar repair. I search all over the googleverse and this seems to be a trend on Fords.
I have to get it fixed but don’t like the fact that is just quit. No warning, no nothing. Seems dangerous to me. Someone could have gotten killed or hurt badly.

What I am looking for are some suggestions. Do I just pay up and hope it does not happen again? Have they improved the parts so it won’t happen again? My wife is not feeling confident in her car any more and frankly I don’t blame her.
What are everyone’s thoughts?
Maybe we fix it and trade it off? If I trade it off, I may be done with Ford for a while. Bummer as that’s all the family has driven for years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 4 Days Ago

Model Year: 2017
Engine: 2.0
Drivetrain:AWD
I think the later units are more reliable, but time will tell. The part is about $700 and it takes about 2.5 hours of labor to install with the alignment. Cost should be about $1000, so they are a bit high with their quote. Consider taking to an independent shop.

2017 Titanium AWD 2.0L EB
post #3 of 21 Old 4 Days Ago

Model Year: 2013
Garage
Steering problems don't get mentioned often on this forum, and this is where people vent when their Escape breaks down, so it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. By all means take it to a good independent shop--our Fords never see the inside of a dealer service bay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 3 Days Ago

Model: SE
Model Year: 2014
Drivetrain:FWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsepa View Post
.... Zero steering assist. Not fun but drivable. Drop it at the dealer and they are telling me it needs a 1900 dollar repair. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeTape View Post
I think the later units are more reliable, but time will tell. The part is about $700 and it takes about 2.5 hours of labor to install with the alignment. .....
Just curious (knock-on-wood I've had no steering issues):
  • Is the fix for this symptom replacement of the EPAS steering gear assembly not including the rack, or EPAS gear + rack as a total assembly, or ....?
  • Dropping the front subframe required to accomplish I assume?

Like I said, just curious, and while at it want to say thanks to @EscapeTape for sharing your knowledge here!

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen; 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone.
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old 3 Days Ago

Engine: 2.0 Tdci 103kW
start with the car sw diagnostic, maybe a new fw update could be help, ford had huge issue with the steering wheel assist, there was also a recall
post #6 of 21 Old 3 Days Ago

Garage
maybe move this to the appropriate section?

2017 SE | 2.0L | Synch3.0 Nav | Leather | Ignot Silver
post #7 of 21 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by centex View Post
Just curious (knock-on-wood I've had no steering issues):
  • Is the fix for this symptom replacement of the EPAS steering gear assembly not including the rack, or EPAS gear + rack as a total assembly, or ....?
  • Dropping the front subframe required to accomplish I assume?
The whole thing is one unit including the tie rods. They don't sell just the electronics part that I'm aware of. And yes, it requires disconnecting all the ball joints and dropping the front subframe. Not a fun job.

From what I hear, the EPAS failures are related to heat damaging the components. To the OP, @Tihsepa I would file a complaint with the NHTSA about this failure.

2017 Titanium AWD 2.0L EB
post #8 of 21 Old 2 Days Ago

Model Year: 2018
Engine: 1.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeTape View Post
I think the later units are more reliable, but time will tell. The part is about $700 and it takes about 2.5 hours of labor to install with the alignment. Cost should be about $1000, so they are a bit high with their quote. Consider taking to an independent shop.

I bought my 2018 SE AWD new in 12/18. Power steering (EPAS) went out at 1550 mi.

So much for time.

2018 AWD SEL
post #9 of 21 Old 2 Days Ago

Model: SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hamm View Post
I bought my 2018 SE AWD new in 12/18. Power steering (EPAS) went out at 1550 mi.

So much for time.
That sounds like a specific part manufacturing defect (such occasionally happens), not a long-term design reliability issue.
Vader101 likes this.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen; 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone.
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 Old 2 Days Ago

Model Year: 2018
Engine: D 1.5L
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hamm View Post

So much for time.
Definitely file a complaint with the NHTSA. this is a potentially deadly fault.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ even if you've had the repair done under warranty.

2018 Escape SEL 4WD Black/Black leather, 1.5L I4 Ecoboost, 6spd auto.,
Vista roof, Safe & Smart pkg, Sync Connect w/Ford Pass
2009 Mercury Mariner base, 3.0 V6 AWD Red met./Black cloth, sunroof, Dronemobile Remote Start w/app
2017 Suzuki V Strom 650 ABS
1980 Kawasaki KZ750 E1