17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 Old 09-06-2017

Model: Titanium
Model Year: 2018
Engine: 2.0
Drivetrain:FWD
Garage
Another thought on this matter. When was the last time you were aware of a car company (any) spending money on an item for the car (and passing it on to you) that was not necessary? My dad (longed passed) used to tell me that every bolt and item on the car had a purpose. If it was not necessary, would not be there.
MoneyPit1946 likes this.

2016 Escape Titanium w/Sync 3v3.0, 2.0 L
2018 Escape Titanium w/Sync 3v3.0 Build 18093, 2.0 L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Old 09-07-2017

Model Year: 2014
Drivetrain:AWD
It's a splash shield. It's purpose is to shield the underside of your engine from splashes lol.
post #23 of 33 Old 09-07-2017

Model: Titanium
Model Year: 2018
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmfloorpie View Post
It's a splash shield. It's purpose is to shield the underside of your engine from splashes lol.
Correct LOL

2016 Escape Titanium w/Sync 3v3.0, 2.0 L
2018 Escape Titanium w/Sync 3v3.0 Build 18093, 2.0 L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 Old 02-01-2019

Heat shield withering away

The heat shield on my '13 SE 2.0 is withering away. Do I really need this? Can I just cut the rest of it off? Thoughts/suggestions?

New owner of a (pre-owned) '13 Escape 2.0SI FWD.
post #25 of 33 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Hi everybody, we have a 2013 Escape Titanium, with 145000 miles. Usual maintenance issues along with some recalls otherwise a very nice car and very comfortable ride. My one question is regarding the lower engine shroud, does it need to be in place??? Following oil changes we usually have to go locate two to three torx bolts to replace, this is getting to be a pain in the bottom, lol. Do we need to actually have that shroud in place, we are in Michigan and do get into some snow. Not really sure what it’s purpose is. Thanks in advance. LG
post #26 of 33 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Model Year: 2013
Garage
the shield is for aerodynamics "gas mileage"
There is also a vent to help cool the PTU if you have "AWD"
might also help cool the Turbo!
post #27 of 33 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Model Year: 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark2264 View Post
Hi everybody, we have a 2013 Escape Titanium, with 145000 miles. Usual maintenance issues along with some recalls otherwise a very nice car and very comfortable ride. My one question is regarding the lower engine shroud, does it need to be in place??? Following oil changes we usually have to go locate two to three torx bolts to replace, this is getting to be a pain in the bottom, lol. Do we need to actually have that shroud in place, we are in Michigan and do get into some snow. Not really sure what it’s purpose is. Thanks in advance. LG
It directs the airflow around the bottom of the engine for optimal cooling and efficiency. Not strictly required, but I'd be worried about possible debris strikes and salt spray since there may be components and wiring that aren't designed to be left exposed indefinitely under there. If you are doing your own changes, get a magnetic pan and just put them all in there as you remove them so you don't lose any. If a shop is doing it, then I'd be complaining to them for losing parts you have to replace (consider switching shops).

2017 Titanium AWD 2.0L EB
post #28 of 33 Old 1 Week Ago

I just got back from a three day vacation (about two and a half hours away). On the way their we herd a noise, thought it was a rock. We had another driver motion that we had a problem under our car so we pulled over. We found that the screws that held the splash shield on were left loose when we had the dealer change the oil about two weeks ago and one had fallen out. The air had got between the shield and body forcing the front of the shield to rub the roadway. We had to remove the shield and stow it in the back seat for the rest of our vacation. Long story short we didn't notice any adverse effects in performance or fuel mileage with the shield removed. Also this is the second time the dealer left the screws loose, maybe I need to find a new dealer.

2014 Sunset Titanium FWD 2.0L FE
Panno sunroof, Tow Package
Build Date 2/3/14 Day after my Hawks won!
Go Hawks!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 33 Old 1 Week Ago

Model Year: 2014
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by '13Escape2.0SI View Post
The heat shield on my '13 SE 2.0 is withering away. Do I really need this? Can I just cut the rest of it off? Thoughts/suggestions?
IMO, for reasons given, you should replace the shield, aka, engine cover. The Jinke splash shield from AliExpress was popular here as a replacement, but these were the only ones I could recently find there that were similar. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JGRT...1387b93ab78-19
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...d7d13f77f79-16

CariD also has some without the trap doors. https://www.carid.com/2013-ford-esca...erbody-covers/ They also have a 10% military discount.

And the OEM from Tasca Parts: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...w0LWdhcw%3D%3D

2014 Ingot Silver Escape SE FWD, 2.0L, panorama roof, no roof rails
post #30 of 33 Old 1 Week Ago

Model Year: 2016
Engine: 1.6
I do my own oil changes on our vehicles but a lot of the quick lube places (even some dealerships) use an impact to tighten those screws up (which strips them out) and rarely replace all of them after an oil change. You can easily buy new plastic inserts and bolts to replace them. Like on my work provided fleet maintained escape....all the screws don't tighten up very well and Ive bought a ton of the bolts they've left out. Fortunately I can expense that to work. On any given day you can drive down the road and see escapes with that panel hanging down.

2016 Escape SE 1.6L Ecoboost FWD SE Convenience Pkg (Sync 3 and dual auto climate) Deep Impact Blue. (our garage dweller)
2017 Edge Titanium 2.0L AWD Ruby Red (wifes ride)
2016 Escape S 2.5 (my work ride)