3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2018 Thread Starter

Key fob locked in car

Is there a thread about locking the Escape with the key fob inside? I didn't think the car should allow that but what's even more strange is the trunk was able to be opened but none of the doors. Is that the way it's designed? I performed a search to find out more about it but wasn't able to find what I was looking for.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2018

It has been discussed on here somewhere, but it would be hard to find.

I lock my fob in my car all the time. My trunk does not work when I try it. The truck should not work unless you are placing your fob towards the rear of the vehicle. Place your fob up front or in the glove box and test it again.

There are proximity sensors placed in several locations. One is in the rear of the vehicle.

Traded in my 2013 2.0 Titanium for:
2017 Lightning Blue Titanium | 2.0. | AWD | Pano Roof | Tow Package
Sport Appearance Package | Roof Racks

The fob was in the cup holders by the shifter. My question was more regarding this function, where the car allows you to lock the fob within it. I didn't that would be something one would want. But according to your statement, this was designed this way. Do you use your code on the door to enter your car when the fob is locked inside? A previous car I owned didn't allow one to lock the car if the fob was inside but the car didn't have a code method to enter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

And one more thing, what happens if someone forgets their code? Is there another way to enter?
Old 11-12-2018

Yes, I use the SecuriCode keyless entry keypad to lock the vehicle with my fob inside. You can program up to 10 custom codes. Hold the 7 and 9 simultaneously to lock the car. I use it all the time. No problems.
chrisgb likes this.

Old 11-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizirosa View Post
And one more thing, what happens if someone forgets their code? Is there another way to enter?

I put the codes for both Escapes on my phone under Notes.

Was in Newport, RI a few months ago. My wife had a job interview in the afternoon. A friend met us for lunch, then he and I went to a car museum. I had two car books in the Escape for him, but my wife had my keys. He asked if I knew my code. I said I didn't, then remembered it's in my phone!

Sunset 2014 Escape Titanium 2.0 4WD
White 2012 Escape Hybrid Limited (wife's)
Old 11-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizirosa View Post
You should have been givin a credit card size plastic card with the original factory code on it. The factory code cannot be changed, but you can add your own codes.

I have entered a very easy code for me to remembe. I would tell you, but then I would have to make to swear to secrecy.
ndccpf1 and MoneyPit1946 like this.

Old 11-14-2018

A good technique to remember code is think of a word that has meaning for you and then look at the corresponding numbers on the keypad of your phone. Never forget it as all you have to do is look at the phone if you forget.

2014 Escape SE 1.6
Old 11-14-2018

Garage
The code on the escapes is on a sticker under the passenger side of the car under the dash. .have to remove the panel and look on the fuse block.

2016 Deep Impact Blue Titanium Escape
301a, panoramic roof, navigation, 2.0
Build Date: 09-07-2015

2013 White Escape SE 2.0 Eco
Tow PKG
Power Lift-gate
Panoramic Moonroof
Build Date 6/29/2012
Old 6 Days Ago

Garage
One of the first things I did.

I had my (new to me) FE about a day. I was messing around with the door key pad and pressed the two bottom buttons at the same time. Clunk - the doors locked. I immediately realized my key was inside. Use vehicle, one key fob, no dealer card with master code....

I finally got in. Next day I went to the dealer to get a second FOB. It took them over a week to get a new FOB programmed. I asked for the master code when I ordered the new FOB. They forgot and it took another 20 minutes for them to get the computer to tell them the code.

I thought it would be less trouble than that.