13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Model Year: 2015
Engine: 2.0
Drivetrain:AWD
Unhappy 2015 Titanium Lemon

Help !! I paid 20k for a 2015 Escape Titanium 2.0 in Nov 2018 and it's full of problems. It's past the dealer's 90 day warranty and everything is just getting worse !! The left rear wheel is bent inward, it sputters and tries to stall at red lights, there's rust on the inside of the doors, it pulls to the left with new tires and 3 alignment attempts, the tailgate doesn't close all the way on the driver's side, the transmission slips going from reverse to drive, and the radio cuts in and out all the time, there are tons of interior rattles, and only 27k miles on it !!!!!! Please, what can I do ?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20190330_092440.jpg (91.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20190330_092449.jpg (157.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20190330_092455.jpg (212.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20190330_092504.jpg (71.6 KB, 62 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Model Year: 2013
Drivetrain:FWD
Garage
These symptons are not normal for the current generation of Escapes. Did you get a Carfax report on it? If not, I would get one. Sounds like it was wrecked, in a flood or both.

The stalling could be related to a neglicted battery.
Cobranut likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Carfax was clean, car originally came from northern new hampshire, area not prone to flooding but snow and a lot of below zero temps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Garage
A long shot, but I would follow up with Carfax.

Good luck!
Cobranut likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Model: SE
Model Year: 2014
Really?

You describe a litany of 'problems' which almost certainly would have been revealed by a competent used-car pre-purchase inspection and now you complain that you bought a "lemon"?

Write it off as an (albeit perhaps expensive) lesson learned and
  • Get it thoroughly inspected by a competent mechanic to identify all issues and prepare an itemized estimate to fix each issue
  • Make the difficult decision to either have some or all of it fixed OR resell and take your lumps
Buying a used car requires due diligence no matter who is selling it. IMO relying on "Carfax" or similar is never a substitute for competent and thorough inspection at the time of purchase**. If you are not competent to make that inspection then you must pay an independent party to provide that service. Everything in your post indicates that you failed in that regard when you made your purchase decision.

Sorry if that seems harsh, but reality bites sometimes.

Good luck, take more care next time you buy a used car.
____

**Folks, read the fine print on any 'car condition report' like Carfax or similar .... you'll find that they only, at best, promise to disclose information available from DMV and similar reporting sources and limit their liability accordingly. If anyone thinks that means those 'reports' guarantee the actual meaningful condition of a car at time of purchase .... well, shame on you (if you think all vehicle damage or crash gets reported to a DMV or logged in a dealer reporting system, you're dreaming)!

IMO such 'condition reports' can be useful to eliminate potential candidate vehicles at best, never to give assurance to include a potential candidate vehicle in your final buying decision. IOW, use 'Carfax' to ID vehicles NOT to buy, not vehicles TO buy.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen; 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone.
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by centex View Post
Really?

You describe a litany of 'problems' which almost certainly would have been revealed by a competent used-car pre-purchase inspection and now you complain that you bought a "lemon"?

Write it off as an (albeit perhaps expensive) lesson learned and
  • Get it thoroughly inspected by a competent mechanic to identify all issues and prepare an itemized estimate to fix each issue
  • Make the difficult decision to either have some or all of it fixed OR resell and take your lumps
Buying a used car requires due diligence no matter who is selling it. IMO relying on "Carfax" or similar is never a substitute for competent and thorough inspection at the time of purchase. If you are not competent to make that inspection then you must pay an independent party to provide that service. Everything in your post indicates that you failed in that regard when you made your purchase decision.

Sorry if that seems harsh, but reality bites sometimes.

Good luck, take more care next time you buy a used car.
A bit harsh, but true. Being a newer member here I did not want to be blunt, but your observations ran through my head as well.

I would still follow up with Carfax on their buyback guarantee, but It is a long shot.
Cobranut likes this.

Archtop Bill
2013 Escape Titanium
2.0 FWD
post #7 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Bill View Post
.....I would still follow up with Carfax on their buyback guarantee, but It is a long shot.
The place to start (read it all carefully) ....

https://www.carfax.com/manifest/bbg/termsConditions.cfx

Good luck.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen; 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone.

Help us help you -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

This car had no problems when I drove it off the lot except for a small area of rust on the driver's door only and the gap in the tailgate which I thought would be an easy adjustment. Most of the problems have turned up in the last 30-60 days.
post #9 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodriver77 View Post
.... The left rear wheel is bent inward ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodriver77 View Post
This car had no problems when I drove it off the lot except for a small area of rust on the driver's door only and the gap in the tailgate which I thought would be an easy adjustment. Most of the problems have turned up in the last 30-60 days.
Sorry but IMO all the pieces of your posts just don't fit together credibly, especially with you now 'back-tracking' and clarifying that at least some of the "lemon" problems were known to you at the time of purchase.

I'm still left questioning the statement "this car had no problems when I drove it off the lot except ...." and the competence with which that determination was made (that's IMO, sight unseen and getting one side of the story).

That notwithstanding, some of the symptoms you mention may be as simple as a battery condition problem as mentioned above.

In any case, to your bottom-line question "Please, what can I do?", given what you say about the warranty (expired *) and the fact of where you are now, the two-step remedies I list in post 5 still hold. You can't re-write the past, whatever that is, you can only move forward from today.

Good luck.

*Depending on the vehicle's "in-service / warranty-start" date you may still have some coverage under the OEM Ford 5-year/50k-mile Powertrain Warranty or 5-year/unlimited-mile Corrosion Perforation Warranty - see a Ford Dealer with your VIN in hand for more info on that possibility.
Cobranut likes this.

Help us help you -
post #10 of 17 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Model Year: 2016
IMO anytime you see body misalignment you have to probe deeper, especially on a 2015 as the stamping and welding should be world class by then. Are the frame rails bent? What does the underside look like? I will admit to buying without the full inspection but I personally inspected mine to find obvious signs of issues, and am cognizant that if anything else shows up it's on me. Check the screws on the doors, are they still painted or do they look like they were taken off? Check under the hood at the fender wells, is the sound deadening material wet or dirty from a flood? Peel back the carpet around the seatbelts, do you see any deposits there? Smell the seatbelts, are they musty or does that bolt look like it was taken off and put back? In any of the carpet crevices can you find signs of the previous owner such as wrappers or other car crap, or is it "too clean"? Look under the seats, are the painted parts of the rails rusted (not the bare metal that will likely be)? If it does in fact have all these problems, I would take my lumps and trade it in at whatever dealer wont look twice at it until the deal is done.
Cobranut likes this.