1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Model Year: 2017
Engine: 2.0
Drivetrain:AWD
Garage
WxNerd2015's Lightning Blue Escape Build and Update Thread

Well, from my searching, this seems to be the best place to post this thread that I can find, so if it needs to be moved, go ahead, but I will start it here! I have done build threads on some of the other forums that I am part of, and I just love seeing the progress on the vehicle, as well as keeping track of maintenance, accessories, and activities in a good timeline! So hope you all enjoy the thread as I update our 2017 SE's journey!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180802_094952.jpg (307.0 KB, 77 views)

2017 Ford Escape SE 4WD | Lightning Blue Metallic | 2.0L Ecoboost | SE 201A Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
The Beginning

To start off, this Escape is my wife's vehicle and we have both been happy with it overall!

She purchased this Escape back in November of 2016 from Bill Brown Ford. She now also works for Ford, so she wanted a Ford, that was practical, but she absolutely had to have the Lightning Blue, with Seat Heaters, Cloth Seats, AWD, Roof Rails, and the Tech Package. Those were her requirements, and outside of that, whatever fit the bill was what she would buy. Our dealer had a hard time finding the combo of cloth seats and the tech package, but he managed to find a pretty great one for us.

So, the Escape is the SE Trim level with 201A Package. It has the 2.0L Ecoboost, AWD, in Lightning Blue. Additionally, we got the tech package, sync 3, Class II trailer tow Package, cold weather package, and special 18" machined aluminium wheels! Below you can see the window sticker (will update with a better scan of the window sticker when I can).

Currently, the Escape is still fairly stock, but has about 42000 miles on it and is still doing great! I will update with more posts on the progression and adventures of the Escape to catch back up to current, but overall, we are very happy with the it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181119_213704.jpg (359.6 KB, 69 views)

2017 Ford Escape SE 4WD | Lightning Blue Metallic | 2.0L Ecoboost | SE 201A Package
post #3 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Catching Up!

As mentioned earlier, this is my wife's daily driver, and she doesn't want to go too crazy with anything on he Escape, and mostly just wants it to function well! But I am also a builder and love working on vehicles, so...we will see what ends up happening, but so far to this point, not crazy has been done to the Escape! Just practical upgrades!

To this point, the Escape has 42000 miles on it, and has had regular oil changes and tire rotations. It had one issue around 15,000 miles with the rear shocks going bad and creating a squeak, but besides that, it has been running good. We also did have the trans fluid changes out around 30,000 miles, and man did it look used up big time at that point. And we ran an entire fuel system cleaner at the 30,000 miles mark too. We have towing across the the State of Michigan a few times with it, and it pulled very well, and we took it on a trip all the way to Maine and back, and once again, it did great!

We have added a Ford Escape branded rear cargo mat and 235/55/R18 Cooper Discoverer True North winter tires. We have a Yakima roof rack on it's way, as well as a kayak/SUP carrier for my wife's VersaBoard. Also, I have knocked two of the underhood bumpers off, so I have some new underhood bumpers on the way to replace those.

Some future plans that i would love to see/do on this escape are:
  • 235/55/R18 Cooper Discoverer SRX Tires for Soring/Summer/Fall
  • Mount for CB/UHF/VHF Radio and Antenna
  • Livernois Motorsports Tuner
  • Oil catch can (Maybe RXP?)
  • QLD Bull Bar
  • HID/LED Headlight Upgrades
  • Yellow LED Fog Upgrade
  • Upgrade Sync 3 to Navigation
  • BOV Upgrade (Turbosmart? Boomba Racing?)
  • NGK Coil Packs and Plugs (When needed)
  • EBC Pads and Rotors (When needed)
  • Gauges and Gauge Pod Mount (Trans Temp? Turbo?)
  • Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
  • 1.5" Lift
  • Hood Struts
  • Proclip Dash Mount

Now, we'll see how much we can actual get done or get to do on this Escape. That is definitely a dream list, but i think it would end up looking great on the Escape, but as I said...wife's car, so she gets the final say! Haha! So stay tuned as some more of this does in fact get done and just to follow along with any adventures!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170318_085248.jpg (222.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20180508_220607.jpg (104.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20180531_070450 (1).jpg (205.7 KB, 58 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
So in December of 2017, we finally took the Escape in to the dealer, as for the last few months, it sounded like marbles rolling around in the back whenever it was wet out, and you would accelerate from a stop or decelerate to a stop. This went on for few a few months and after searching, we finally seemed to determine that the sound was coming from the rear shocks. On a rainy day after a drive home from work, we bounced the rear end up and down and you could hear the squeak. Being only 15000 miles when the sound started, it definitely did not seem right that something in the rear shocks would be worn already, so we went to the dealer.

As this time there is now 18,000 miles on the Escape, and the dealer took the escape in for service. the next day, we get a call, and both rear shocks were replaced along with the shock absorber bushings. This fixed the issue, and over 20,000 miles later, the sound has not come back. So just seems to be something wrong from the factory, as many Escapes have had this issue around that 15,000 mile mark.

There are a bunch of thread topics on these noises, but most seem to come back to the rear shocks:
https://www.fordescape.org/forum/ext...ar-2017-a.html
https://www.fordescape.org/forum/whe...hen-wet-2.html
https://www.fordescape.org/forum/for...-noise-13.html
https://www.fordescape.org/forum/whe...-creaking.html
https://www.fordescape.org/forum/for...oise-rear.html

post #5 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Bar Harbor, Maine

We then took the escape out on a nice, long road trip from SE Michigan all the way over to Bar Harbor, ME! And really, uneventful speaking of the escape! It did great, ended up getting the best gas mileage that it has yet (this was right after a good fuel system clean and saw around 28 MPG for most of the trip), and did everything we asked if it on the trip! And it was nice to get to see and experience the whole drive! I love road trips!

Some pics of the Escape in Acadia National Park on Mount Desert island on the Park Loop Road!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180802_095020.jpg (297.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20180802_094829 (1).jpg (354.8 KB, 57 views)

post #6 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
We then added the rear cargo mat from Ford. It is branded with the Escape logo, and looks really nice! It also fits exactly how it should, and has worked really well!

Genuine Ford DJ5Z-7811600-BA Cargo Area Protector

It was a little trick to install at first, as it is shipping actually rolled up, so you need to put some weight on it to flatten the mat out, but once you get it flat in the truck, it looks and works really well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81Fgmd08S7L._SL1500_.jpg (87.7 KB, 57 views)

post #7 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Model: Titanium
Model Year: 2014
Garage
Thanks for sharing your build. Looks great.

2014 Ruby Red Titanium 2.0 AWD
401A, Technology, Sony w/nav, 19" Wheels, Tonneau cover

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 19 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader101 View Post
Thanks for sharing your build. Looks great.
Thanks!

post #9 of 19 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Next up...I ended up knocking off two of the hood bumpers on the underside of the hood. These fell off way too easy in my opinion, and they completely vanished once they fell off, so I needed to locate new ones! Thanks to @xXAvroArrowXx for helping me finally locate the proper part number for the bumpers. And I have the new bumpers on order and should be here soon!

For more information on the hood bumpers: Lost Hood Bumpers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181023_183721.jpg (124.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 20181023_183713.jpg (108.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 20181023_183717.jpg (96.2 KB, 43 views)

post #10 of 19 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
I then had a few good rounds of towing with the Escape! And I will say, I was very pleasantly surprised!

For More information on Escape Towing:https://www.fordescape.org/forum/towing/
My Posts in the Towing Thread (Post #76 ):https://www.fordescape.org/forum/tow...-towing-8.html

Anyways, our escape is the AWD/4WD model with the 2.0 Ecoboost and the factory Class II trailering package, so we have the capacity to tow to max limit of 3500lbs. We towed a 14 ft single axle enclosed trailer with no issues whatsoever as well as a tandom axle 6'x12' Uhaul. the Escape never felt like it was lacking in power, managed to slow the trailers down both with easy, and managed sway and control very well. Now I did make sure that all was set up with as close to proper tongue weight, hitch height, etc., but still, I was extremely impressed! I would estimate that both loads were around the 2000lbs to 2500lbs mark, but I would have no issue towing with the Escape again!

Both trips we took were across the state of Michigan and back (Madison Heights to Ludington) and terrain is not too crazy there, so no big mountains to fight or anything. Fuel mileage ended up about 9.0-9.5 MPG with the single axle and that was running around 70 MPH most of the time, but there were also a few stops with idling, as well as running in rain and some wind both directions. Fuel mileage on the UHaul ended up around 14.5 MPG with more favorable driving conditions and the height of the trailer being tucked down to roof level.

Only thing that I wish I could change with the Escape when towing is the fact that every time you restart the Escape with a trailer connected, it warns you that the blindspot system is disabled. This is fine in the instrument cluster as I click ok and it goes away. However in the FordPass app, there is also a warning, and every time I start the Escape, it send a Blindsport Monitoring Fault error to my account and shows up as notifications on my phone. It is not a fault and is designed to turn off with a trailer connected...so a little annoying, but as I do not tow often, definitely not a big deal!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180930_140424.jpg (449.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20180930_210506.jpg (207.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20180930_210604.jpg (131.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20181102_093129.jpg (433.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20180929_151854.jpg (292.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20181102_153340 (1).jpg (407.4 KB, 42 views)