2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Model Year: 2017
Engine: 2.0
Drivetrain:FWD
Garage
Wanted another Escape

My wife wanted a compact SUV to replace her 2013 KIA Optima. She likes my 2017 Escape. I convinced her the new Escape models just didnít have the engine options that they had in 2017. FoMoCo cutting the 2.0T from the SE model cost them a return buyer. In my opinion, the 1.5 T just isnít up to snuff. We settled on a 2019 VW Tiguan SE. This is a well made vehicle and a little larger than the Escape. It doesnít have the power of the 2.0 Ecoboost but, it is a far better engine than the 1.5 Ecoboost. I just hope it is as reliable as my 2017 Escape has been. Sorry Ford, you dropped the ball on engine offerings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11814399-2C8B-46C6-A69E-AE42A1039206.jpg (166.1 KB, 17 views)

2017 Ford Escape SE
Black with Black
2.0 Ecoboost
201A Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Model Year: 2013
Drivetrain:AWD
I agree with you about the engine options for 2018 MY. Poor choice on Fords part IMHO.

Traded in my 2013 2.0 Titanium for:
2017 Lightning Blue Titanium | 2.0. | AWD | Pano Roof | Tow Package
Sport Appearance Package | Roof Racks
post #3 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Model Year: 2014
I love my 2.0 in my 14' Escape. Had Ford not offered it on the SE trim when I got mine, I probably be driving something else right now. Your actions to buy a VW and the sentiment of many others on the forums here is proof that Ford missed the boat when they starting linking the 2.0 to the Titanium trim level only. Ford still has a lot to learn from it's fan base.

2014 Ford Escape SE 4WD in Sunset Orange with the 2.0 Liter Ecoboost Engine & Leather
2" Front & 1.25" Rear Lift Kit by Phat Matt's Custom Fabrication
Upsized P235/60R17 Cooper AT3 All Terrain Tires For Another .75" of Clearance.
Other Aftermarket Mods: LED DRL, Upper Windshield Tint Strip, Electrochromatic Rearview Mirror, Basic Ambient Lighting, PIAA LP530 Ion Yellow LED Driving Lights, Clever Crates & Cargo Liner Installed In The Cargo Area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago

You are just a reflection of what Ford is going through now - lack of innovation, messed up trim levels, high prices....all leading to rapidly eroding market share.

I just can’t believe the CEO can’t see that unfolding under his nose...I guess their focus is profits vs achieveing profits by increased volumes...
post #5 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
A while back, I got some flack for saying that Ford should drop one of the engine offerings in the Escape. In my opinion, the 2.5 NA or the 1.5 Ecoboost should be dropped from the Escape engine lineup. If the plan is for more fuel efficiency then drop the 2.5 NA and make the 1.5 Ecoboost the only offering for the S model. The 1.5 should be standard for the SE, SEL and Titanium with the 2.0 as an option for the SE, SEL and Titanium. Furthermore, Ford needs to revamp the 1.5 Ecoboost to do away with the timing belt in favor of a timing chain. That’s my rant.

2017 Ford Escape SE
Black with Black
2.0 Ecoboost
201A Package
post #6 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Model Year: 2015
Engine: 1.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
A while back, I got some flack for saying that Ford should drop one of the engine offerings in the Escape. In my opinion, the 2.5 NA or the 1.5 Ecoboost should be dropped from the Escape engine lineup. If the plan is for more fuel efficiency then drop the 2.5 NA and make the 1.5 Ecoboost the only offering for the S model. The 1.5 should be standard for the SE, SEL and Titanium with the 2.0 as an option for the SE, SEL and Titanium. Furthermore, Ford needs to revamp the 1.5 Ecoboost to do away with the timing belt in favor of a timing chain. Thatís my rant.
I agree, with your proposal, which i have bolded above.

We have had two Escapes with the 1.6L, and found them to very acceptable for our needs. Still have the '15 1.6L. When we went shopping for a replacement for our '14 (in late 2017...2018 models), we found that if we wanted the Titanium trim, which we did, we HAD to get the 2.0L. Granted, I have driven the 2.0L, and it is very nice, just an necessary extra purchase cost and fuel cost for our needs.

I know it is not uncommon for other manufactures to "hard wire" engine choice to trim level, but it is not best serving their customers, especially in a brand that is known for much customization of options (Unlike say, Honda, where trim level dictates all options, including engines).

No telling YET, how the 2020 will be marketed.

2015 White Platinum Titanium 1.6 FWD build date 12/13/14
post #7 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Garage
Strange that Ford Canada allows you to have the 2.0 as an option on the SEL trim level but not in the US

2013 FWD 2.0 201A, Nav Tuxedo Black Built Nov 30,2012

2017 AWD 2.0 201A,Nav,Power Tailgate Lightning Blue Built Sept 19, 2016
post #8 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjak707 View Post
Strange that Ford Canada allows you to have the 2.0 as an option on the SEL trim level but not in the US
So does Ford Australia...you can get the 1.5 litre ecoboost engine in the entry level Ambiente in FWD or AWD and the 2 litre ecoboost engine in the mid range Trend, SE line (US SE and SEL equivalent) and Titanium in FWD or AWD and optional 2 litre diesel as well.

NSW, Australia.
2017 Ford Escape Trend 2 litre AWD Ruby red with Tech. pack
post #9 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Engine: 2.5
Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
A while back, I got some flack for saying that Ford should drop one of the engine offerings in the Escape. In my opinion, the 2.5 NA or the 1.5 Ecoboost should be dropped from the Escape engine lineup. If the plan is for more fuel efficiency then drop the 2.5 NA and make the 1.5 Ecoboost the only offering for the S model. The 1.5 should be standard for the SE, SEL and Titanium with the 2.0 as an option for the SE, SEL and Titanium. Furthermore, Ford needs to revamp the 1.5 Ecoboost to do away with the timing belt in favor of a timing chain. Thatís my rant.
drop the 2.5?are you nuts. our escape , 2017 model S has no trouble with the 2.5 and it gets 32-35 mpg on the highway 24-26 around the city. you want Ford to drop it. let me tell you something. we are better off with the 2.5 which has only 10 hp less that the dang 1.5 which I have heard and lousy powerplants. they are turbocharged and something can always go wrong with the turbos. I don't have to worry about that on the 2.5. y ou need to think about other ford drivers, not yourself.
Ford is being stupid these days, high prices. I guess what they are trying to do is sell to the rich and famous only. lol them dropping powerplants in favor of turbocharged engines only is also stupid. there are people like me who wants to own a vehicle without the **** turbos, less maintenance, less things to worry about. have a great day sir..
Cobranut likes this.

2017 Ford Escape S with 2.5L IVCT engine, Exterior color canyon Ridge and interior Charcoal black.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Guess what? The 2.5 will only be offered in the 2020 Escape Hybrid. The 1.5 Ecoboost 4 cylinder will be gone. Good! So, there you have it. FYI: I would have probably bought a 2019 SE if the 2.5 was offered over the 1.5 Ecoboost. The 2.5 is a good engine. The 1.5 Ecoboost 4 cylinder is a dog.
Cobranut likes this.

2017 Ford Escape SE
Black with Black
2.0 Ecoboost
201A Package