LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thinking about a Focus ST

I have a 2017 Escape with the 2.0 EB and quite enjoy it, but we really need a third vehicle pretty soon. I have two boys who will quickly have their licenses and I'm thinking about leaving the Escape at home for my wife and kids (we also have a 2016 Transit with a 3.5 EB for hauling everybody around (8 kids)) to drive to the store/school/kids' jobs. The Focus ST would be for me to commute about 25-miles each way. I do have some stop and go, which makes the manual a bit of a pain, but I can't get a Focus other than the ST with the 2.0 EB engine (and I will NOT own anything I drive here in CO that isn't forced induction). Insurance between an ST and an SE is only about $36 every 6 months, so those costs are negligible, but the price difference between a 2017 SE and 2017 ST with similar miles (and manual trans) is in the 3-5K range, so it's a steep hill to climb for that extra 100 hp and 130+ lb-ft of torque.

Any thoughts from you guys on recommendations related to the Focus or something similar that's turbo-charged with about the same performance for similar costs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Model Year: 2017
Engine: 2.0
Drivetrain:FWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob99rt View Post
I have a 2017 Escape with the 2.0 EB and quite enjoy it, but we really need a third vehicle pretty soon. I have two boys who will quickly have their licenses and I'm thinking about leaving the Escape at home for my wife and kids (we also have a 2016 Transit with a 3.5 EB for hauling everybody around (8 kids)) to drive to the store/school/kids' jobs. The Focus ST would be for me to commute about 25-miles each way. I do have some stop and go, which makes the manual a bit of a pain, but I can't get a Focus other than the ST with the 2.0 EB engine (and I will NOT own anything I drive here in CO that isn't forced induction). Insurance between an ST and an SE is only about $36 every 6 months, so those costs are negligible, but the price difference between a 2017 SE and 2017 ST with similar miles (and manual trans) is in the 3-5K range, so it's a steep hill to climb for that extra 100 hp and 130+ lb-ft of torque.

Any thoughts from you guys on recommendations related to the Focus or something similar that's turbo-charged with about the same performance for similar costs?
You will be hard pressed to find something with similar performance to the ST that's cheaper. The ST is not intended to compete directly with the regular Focus. It may on most other options but the ST is the only one to carry the Ecoboost motor for that model. It and also has specially tuned sport suspension and I believe brakes. The ST stands for Sport Technologies by the way
post #3 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14theroad View Post
You will be hard pressed to find something with similar performance to the ST that's cheaper. The ST is not intended to compete directly with the regular Focus. It may on most other options but the ST is the only one to carry the Ecoboost motor for that model. It and also has specially tuned sport suspension and I believe brakes. The ST stands for Sport Technologies by the way
I figured it would be tough to find something similar performance-wise in the same price category. The issue around here is finding something at a decent price that doesn't have a branded title of some sort. A place south of me about 90 minutes has a 2017 with only about 7K miles for 16,200, but it's apparently had the driver's side suspension replaced as well as the front end (hood/bumper, etc.) My guess is somebody put it into a curb at a high-ish rate of speed. Ones with a clean title are in the 18's at least, and usually closer to 20K, even if they have 20000 miles on them. Most seem to be ST1's also, as there isn't a lot of options on them. I was hoping to wait until the end of the summer to pick one up, but since Ford isn't bringing the 2019 ST to the US, the likelihood of folks trading in an earlier ST for a similar-performing car is likely nil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Model Year: 2014
Drivetrain:AWD
I have a 2014 and a 2017 Escape Titanium both in Ruby Red. My wife and I love the cars. I was looking for a Focus ST as a "Fun" car for myself and I am running into the same problem. A number of cars don't have clean CARFAX'S and the ones that do, are fairly pricey. I am talking about a 2017 or 18. There is a 2018 near my house, with 8k and it has damaged listed on the CARFAX report and the Ford dealer wants 21,400.

I want to buy a 2 or 3 year old model with low mileage. I will keep looking and expanding my search.
post #5 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Model: Titanium
Garage
I came from a 2014 FoST - Tangerine Scream, natch - and, obviously, the biggest difference is handling. The steering on the FoST is INSANELY quick; less than a full turn in either direction lock to lock. It's insanely fun in corners, and exhibits lift-off oversteer that really surprises people who (generally rightly) assume that's not possible in a FWD hatch.

Otherwise it's just a smaller Escape. The controls are identical. It goes faster, though part of that is quicker ratios in the manual, and the rest is just that it's lighter. It's still not that fast, compared to the '12 Mustang GT I had before that. But BOY is it fun in the squigglies.

I do miss it. I also miss how much **** it held for its size. Not as good as an Escape, but nobody is surprised that an Escape hauls a lot. I carried just comical loads in that FoST (700lbs of pavers, 18 bags of mulch, 28' ladder, an entire wrought iron outdoor patio set, etc).

Stay the away from any Focus that's not an ST. The dual-clutch transmission in them is a dumpster fire. I owned a '13 Focus Titanium as well and it just sucked. I had the Ti and the ST at the same time - called it the Focus group - and I hated riding in the Ti. Feeling that transmission desperately try to find and hold any gear was awful.

2017 Ti | 2.0l | Moonroof | Nav | Sport Appearance Package | Lightning Blue

Previous cars: 2014 Focus ST3 - Tangerine Screamin' | 2012 Mustang GT 6MT - glass roof, oooh | 1994 Taurus SHO 3.2 - mod all the things | about 7 more Gen 2 SHOs behind that | 1993 Probe GT
post #6 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye18 View Post
I came from a 2014 FoST - Tangerine Scream, natch - and, obviously, the biggest difference is handling. The steering on the FoST is INSANELY quick; less than a full turn in either direction lock to lock. It's insanely fun in corners, and exhibits lift-off oversteer that really surprises people who (generally rightly) assume that's not possible in a FWD hatch.

Otherwise it's just a smaller Escape. The controls are identical. It goes faster, though part of that is quicker ratios in the manual, and the rest is just that it's lighter. It's still not that fast, compared to the '12 Mustang GT I had before that. But BOY is it fun in the squigglies.

I do miss it. I also miss how much **** it held for its size. Not as good as an Escape, but nobody is surprised that an Escape hauls a lot. I carried just comical loads in that FoST (700lbs of pavers, 18 bags of mulch, 28' ladder, an entire wrought iron outdoor patio set, etc).

Stay the away from any Focus that's not an ST. The dual-clutch transmission in them is a dumpster fire. I owned a '13 Focus Titanium as well and it just sucked. I had the Ti and the ST at the same time - called it the Focus group - and I hated riding in the Ti. Feeling that transmission desperately try to find and hold any gear was awful.
I know what you mean about fun in the corners... I had a 99 Neon RT that was a ton of fun on the back-roads of Ohio (Konis, lowered with stiffer springs, big sway bars front and rear, -2.5 degrees of camber in the front and -1.2 in the back), and it ran decently as well (best 1/4 was [email protected] with wheelspin through the shift into 3rd even with an LSD in it) thanks to a bunch of engine mods. However, I've learned to absolutely love boosted engines over the past few years of owning EB-equipped vehicles. The *only* way I'd consider a non-EB Focus is if it had the 5-speed manual, as I have read from others that the 6-speed dual-clutch transmission is just horrible. I would still much prefer the 2.0-EB engine in the ST, though.... just going to be hard to swallow the 5-6K more for the same year vehicle with similar mileage.
post #7 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
I figured it would be tough to find something similar performance-wise in the same price category. The issue around here is finding something at a decent price that doesn't have a branded title of some sort. A place south of me about 90 minutes has a 2017 with only about 7K miles for 16,200, but it's apparently had the driver's side suspension replaced as well as the front end (hood/bumper, etc.) My guess is somebody put it into a curb at a high-ish rate of speed. Ones with a clean title are in the 18's at least, and usually closer to 20K, even if they have 20000 miles on them. Most seem to be ST1's also, as there isn't a lot of options on them. I was hoping to wait until the end of the summer to pick one up, but since Ford isn't bringing the 2019 ST to the US, the likelihood of folks trading in an earlier ST for a similar-performing car is likely nil.
Ford's decision to discontinue the Focus in the U.S. will indeed make it harder and harder to find a decent mileaged one that has been properly cared for and with the options you want. Dealers and private sellers will take note of that (if they haven't already) so, you might have to broaden the scope of cars you're looking at (Subaru WRX (non STI)?) or deepen your wallet if you absolutely must have an ST.
post #8 of 17 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14theroad View Post
Ford's decision to discontinue the Focus in the U.S. will indeed make it harder and harder to find a decent mileaged one that has been properly cared for and with the options you want. Dealers and private sellers will take note of that (if they haven't already) so, you might have to broaden the scope of cars you're looking at (Subaru WRX (non STI)?) or deepen your wallet if you absolutely must have an ST.
I've thought about a WRX, but I would really like to stick with the Ford EB engine platform. Around here the WRXes are several thousand more, it seems, for a similar year ST. The mileage is typically pretty high for the WRXes as well.
post #9 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

One other thing.. On the Escapes they went to the twin scroll turbo in 2017 (which I really like with how fast it spools up), and it appears they did the same thing on the Focus' 2.0 EB for that year. I have seen several 2016's around here for better prices (according to KBB/NADA) than the 2017s, but is the twin scroll-equipped engine a have-to-have, or should I not worry about it and consider the 16's as well? Anybody have any thoughts on that subject?
post #10 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
One other thing.. On the Escapes they went to the twin scroll turbo in 2017 (which I really like with how fast it spools up), and it appears they did the same thing on the Focus' 2.0 EB for that year. I have seen several 2016's around here for better prices (according to KBB/NADA) than the 2017s, but is the twin scroll-equipped engine a have-to-have, or should I not worry about it and consider the 16's as well? Anybody have any thoughts on that subject?
I think only a test drive could answer that for you. To some it might be imperceptible but to others it might be night and day. Plus are you going to keep it stock? If not, that comparison may be irrelevant altogether.

I hear you on the WRX models. Budgets suck sometimes