2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-05-2014 Thread Starter

Engine: 1.6
Drivetrain:AWD
Center Console Vibration

Hi,

So a week or so after I received my new escape (info in sig), when driving it in the morning sometimes there seems to be heavy vibrations coming from the center console, behind the shifter and by the cupholders/"armrest". It lasts for a few minutes then everything smooths out but the vibrations are clearly noticeable and felt when it does it. It doesn't seem to happen all the time and rarely happens when I start the car back up for lunch breaks/trip home.

Is the transmission in that area? Any insight would be great!

TIA

2014 FE Titanium 4WD EcoBoost 2.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-05-2014

Model Year: 2014
Engine: 2.0
Drivetrain:FWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift2drive View Post
Is the transmission in that area? Any insight would be great!

TIA
The transmission is forward of that area, tucked under/barely behind the engine.

Noting that you have AWD .... there is a coupling/support/u-joint for the driveshaft to the rear wheels under the approximate mid-point of the car (in the tunnel that passes under the console). IMHO it's time for a trip to the dealer .... maybe a balance/alignment/support bearing/u-joint issue somewhere along that driveshaft, all things that could be intermittent or vary with speed.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-05-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by centex View Post
The transmission is forward of that area, tucked under/barely behind the engine.

Noting that you have AWD .... there is a coupling/support/u-joint for the driveshaft to the rear wheels under the approximate mid-point of the car (in the tunnel that passes under the console). IMHO it's time for a trip to the dealer .... maybe a balance/alignment/support bearing/u-joint issue somewhere along that driveshaft, all things that could be intermittent or vary with speed.
Thanks centex. Researching those, it definitely could be the driveshaft support bearing. From what I gather, if it was the u-joint in the driveshaft, would there be an accompanied noise, such as a clunk/grind? Mine doesn't seem to have a noise associated with it besides what the vibrations are causing.

Also, if it is the driveshaft support bearing, would the issue only crop when accelerating between 2-5k RPM or would constant RPM's (around 2k) and speed cause the vibrations? The vibrations seem prevalent when traveling in 20-55mph, at acceleration or consistent speed. Maybe some grease is needed in there?

I do agree it needs to go to the dealer (only owned it 6 weeks ) but I'd like to just have information handy since I'm not the most mechanically inclined (although the escape has prompted me to become so).

Thanks again centex!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-05-2014 Thread Starter

Just to add, when in sport mode, I may be experiencing some harsh downshifts. Best I can describe is a very slight jerk when it downshifts and I'm slowing down. Accelerating is smooth. Not sure if there is any correlation or something separate that needs attention.

Build date 4/28/2014. No outstanding recalls/TSBs (not sure if there has even been any since it was built in April).

post #5 of 12 Old 09-05-2014

Re: the vibration .... IMHO more guessing is just that, more guessing; nothing to gain in that, as I said it might not be anything I already guessed.

"S" mode by definition has firmer and quicker shifts and stronger engine braking on downshift (might be "harsher" to some). I'd worry if it were as smooth as in "D". If you don't like the feel, don't use "S" ;-)

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-05-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by centex View Post
Re: the vibration .... IMHO more guessing is just that, more guessing; nothing to gain in that, as I said it might not be anything I already guessed.

"S" mode by definition has firmer and quicker shifts and stronger engine braking on downshift (might be "harsher" to some). I'd worry if it were as smooth as in "D". If you don't like the feel, don't use "S" ;-)
Very true. Thanks for putting it in perspective.

My last car was a civic so if you say it's normal I just need to adjust

Oh, and I can't veer away from S

post #7 of 12 Old 09-06-2014 Thread Starter

Contacted my sales guy and service department will contact me on Monday to set up a time to drop off.

Will update thread with developments.

post #8 of 12 Old 09-06-2014

Garage
I have more of a buzz of a loose panel that is worse when I have a full Vente in the cup holder area. If I lift the beverage, the buzz goes away or is diminished. I think you're talking about more of a hum or lower-frequency tone than a plastic-on-plastic noise, correct?

2014 Escape Titanium, 1.6L FWD, 401A, 18" wheels
Karat Gold exterior, Medium Light Leather interior
Built in Feb. 2014
post #9 of 12 Old 09-07-2014
Super Moderator

Garage
I get a weird rattling noise from the centre counsel. I used to think it was my coffee cup in the cup holder. But lately I've been noticing it when there has been nothing in the cup holder. It's starting to drive me nuts. I hate rattles in my vehicles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Foxbat likes this.

2014 Ruby Red Titanium 2.0 AWD
401A, Technology, Sony w/nav, 19" Wheels, Tonneau cover

post #10 of 12 Old 09-08-2014

Model Year: 2013
Garage
That piece is a common rattle area due to friction. I had them add a spacer between the bottom of the shifter piece and the console. It corrected the issue
bjeans likes this.