Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-24-2019

Model Year: 2017
Engine: 2.0
Drivetrain:AWD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waverunner10 View Post
That's an incredible amount of data that the NHTSA had requested last year...note the deadline for replying by Ford is:
"Ford's response to this letter, in duplicate, together with a copy of any confidentiality request, must be submitted to this office by September 30, 2018."

It was requested AUG 02 2018. Ford was required to supply an incredible amount of data within 2 months of the request.
Even after receipt, it's hard to imagine the time it will take for NHTSA to analyze the data that Ford supplied.
chrisman63 likes this.

2017 Escape SE, 2.0L, Shadow Black (G1), AWD, 17" wheels, ContiProContact
P235R55-17, Cold Weather package w/PTC aux heater, Sync (no SYNC Connect), no roof rails, Spoiler & Wing King Spoiler, Weathertech mud guards and Windows Deflectors
post #3 of 3 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Location: East Patchogue, New York (Suffolk County) Long Island
Model Year: 2013
Engine: 1.6 Ecoboost with turbo
Drivetrain:AWD
Garage
Wow!!! That is a LOT of stuff for Ford to come up with in such a short period of time. I'm curious if Ford actually complied. I have a 2013 Escape with the 1.6L with turbo and I haven't heard anything from Ford or the NHTSA. I actually had a VERY small coolant leak, which was slowly getting worse. My engine NEVER overheated, but I was replacing lost coolant. I started out with about a quart within a 5 week period and progressed to about a half a gallon.

I had it in for a oil change at the dealer when I 1st noticed the problem and they said they didn't see any leaks. Brought it back in for another oil change about 7 or 8 weeks later and I also requested them to pressure test the cooling system, which they did. It took about 20 minutes (according to them) before they found the leak. They said it was leaking at a "by-pass hose" that by-passed the heater core. I had never heard of such a hose, but I assumed that they knew what they were talking about. I even asked a friend (a mechanic) about the "by-pass hose" and he said that there is such a hose, that bypasses the heater core to feed coolant to work many of the sensors that are on the engine.

Of course THIS hose (actually, according to the dealer there were two hoses. One was leaking and one was on it's way to leak) and the other hose were NOT covered on my extended warranty. BUT ……. My leaking valve cover gasket was!!! Well ……. 1 out of 2 ain't bad. LMOA!!! Right? Had I known that the leak was a hose, I would have brought it to my "neighborhood mechanic" who is MUCH more reasonable than the dealer. Regardless, I have to wonder if my vehicle's leaking hoses are part of this recall. Like I said, I never experienced a overheating issue or loss of engine power. Thanks for sharing this documentation from the NHTSA.

Chrisman63
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.