LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Unread 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Model Year: 2013
Engine: 2.0
Drivetrain:AWD
wum wum wum between 15-25mph

I know, interesting title line I get this 'noise' between these speeds. not lower, and it goes away above 25mph.

could it be a broken belt in a tire? I had a shop check the bearing where it felt like and they said it was fine, but the condition hasn't gotten any worse and it doesn't exist at higher speeds.

it's weird. any thoughts?

2013 Titanium 2.0 4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Unread 2 Weeks Ago

wum, wum, wum...wah, wah, wah

Interesting that you would post this when you did. Earlier today I posted in another forum area (engine/transmission) about a low speed noise I'm getting in our 2014 Escape Titanium. I described it as wah, wah, wah, but a little imagination I could hear it as wum, wum, wum.

We just got this vehicle, and it was present even when we test drove it before buying. It had some pretty cheap Chinese tires on it, so I thought that might be the source. Now it has brand new, premium all-season radials properly inflated, and we still get the noise. The twist on my situation, and I would be curious if you have the same, is that if the car is just rolling at low speed without any accelerator pedal providing power to the vehicle...or if it's just rolling in Neutral, there is no noise. Mine only occurs if the engine/transmission/drive shaft is powering the wheels. I consider myself a pretty advanced DIY mechanic, and this doesn't match to anything I've ever dealt with before. Not indicative of wheel bearing, bad half-shaft joint, brake rotor condition or anything else.
post #3 of 12 Unread 1 Week Ago

Model Year: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
I know, interesting title line I get this 'noise' between these speeds. not lower, and it goes away above 25mph.

could it be a broken belt in a tire? I had a shop check the bearing where it felt like and they said it was fine, but the condition hasn't gotten any worse and it doesn't exist at higher speeds.

Have you had your Escape sit unused for more than a week (especially on a tar or concrete surface)? I'm mentioning this because the tires can get a flat spot. I parked my truck for a while and noticed both a sound like that (though minimal) and a vibration feeling when the tires hit that spot...especially at low speeds. If this is the case with you, miles of continued driving will remedy this over time. If not, it might be axle or CV related. I've had trucks before make a very similar noise to what you are experiencing...but the sound comes from bad gearing in solid-axle vehicles.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

2014 Ford Escape SE 4WD in Sunset Orange with the 2.0 Liter Ecoboost Engine & Leather
2" Front & 1.25" Rear Lift Kit by Phat Matt's Custom Fabrication
Upsized P235/60R17 Cooper AT3 All Terrain Tires For Another .75" of Clearance.
Other Aftermarket Mods: LED DRL, Upper Windshield Tint Strip, Electrochromatic Rearview Mirror, Basic Ambient Lighting, PIAA LP530 Ion Yellow LED Driving Lights, Clever Crates & Cargo Liner Installed In The Cargo Area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Unread 1 Week Ago

Model Year: 2017
Unplug the active torque coupling connector on the rear drive unit and see if that does anything. That will make it FWD only.

How does the PTU look? Any leaks?

2017 Titanium AWD 2.0L EB
post #5 of 12 Unread 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeTape View Post
Unplug the active torque coupling connector on the rear drive unit and see if that does anything. That will make it FWD only.

How does the PTU look? Any leaks?
Hm..I didn't know you could do that and not have the car freak out how do I go about doing that?

No leaks that I can see but I'll have to get under there and perhaps take a longer look.

I drive the car daily, and I'll get the 'flat spot' driving when I first get in the car but it goes away, this noise doesn't unless I'm under 15 or over 25. I just swapped out the back brakes because of how grooved the rotors were but that didn't change anything.

I did do a PTU fluid change earlier, maybe I"ll throw some more liquid in there thru the fill/drain hole just to make sure it's full. I mean I can't overfill it really.

2013 Titanium 2.0 4WD
post #6 of 12 Unread 1 Week Ago

Model Year: 2017
Quote:
Hm..I didn't know you could do that and not have the car freak out how do I go about doing that?
You go under the car and unplug it... Yes it will probably freak out and have lights on but you can still drive it. It won't hurt anything to unplug it for a test.

2017 Titanium AWD 2.0L EB
post #7 of 12 Unread 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

well I drove down the road at 25 and popped it into neutral and it was still there and the noise didn't change.

2013 Titanium 2.0 4WD
post #8 of 12 Unread 1 Week Ago

Could it be simple as wheels out of balance or tires that are scalloped/cupped?
I've had that issue too and it create a definitely noticeable centrifugal sound that tends to fade away at higher speeds as general road, tire, engine and wind noise drown out sounds you hera at low speed.

I'm sure you've heard those "mud trucks" going down the road making that sound on those huge mud or all terrain tires.
It can happen on passenger cars too...definitely worth looking into.
Tire rotations will reduce the noise if that is your problem, but if it is that bad, only a new set of tires till make it totally go away.
Just make sure you get a 4 wheel alignment if you go down that path. Good luck.

2014 Ford Escape SE 4WD in Sunset Orange with the 2.0 Liter Ecoboost Engine & Leather
2" Front & 1.25" Rear Lift Kit by Phat Matt's Custom Fabrication
Upsized P235/60R17 Cooper AT3 All Terrain Tires For Another .75" of Clearance.
Other Aftermarket Mods: LED DRL, Upper Windshield Tint Strip, Electrochromatic Rearview Mirror, Basic Ambient Lighting, PIAA LP530 Ion Yellow LED Driving Lights, Clever Crates & Cargo Liner Installed In The Cargo Area
post #9 of 12 Unread 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

well I had belle tire tell me I had a slight ding in one of the rims that wouldn't affect anything...maybe? but this morning I thought I heard a little scrapey noise when it started up. I have front brake pads coming, see if that does anything. but perhaps it's just an alignment or a little dink in the rim.

2013 Titanium 2.0 4WD
post #10 of 12 Unread 1 Week Ago

Engine: 1.6
Drivetrain:FWD
Quote:

Had a similar noise on '14 Titanium, and it turned out being a bad bearing on the right front. It was in the support bearing block. Took the dealership 2 days to find it 😟