1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Model Year: 2017
Engine: 1.5L SE
Drivetrain:AWD
Garage
Question Rear Brake Job with EPB

Does anyone have experience on rear brake job with EPB (electric parking brake) for 2013(and later) AWD model?
Is there any difference to push the piston back compare to the one without EPB, or is a special brake compressor tool needed? Thanks.

2017, ESCAPE, SE, 1.5L ECOBOOST, 4WD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago

Model Year: 2013
Engine: 2.0L EcoBoost
Drivetrain:FWD
Garage
I know that the 2013-2016 will be a "wind back" type which need a tool to do. You can rent them from most auto parts stores. I believe that the Electric Brake started with 2017. I read something about a "Maintenance mode" and then you would probably have to wind it back as well.

Code:
DiabolicJourney_SpaRky

2013 - Titanium - White Platinum Tri-Coat - Charcoal Black Leather - 2.0L Ecoboost FWD - 19" Wheels - MFT w/Nav - MKC Front Brakes (335mm) [rear coming] - OBDLink MX - TurboSmart Kompact DualPort V2 - Upgr8 Air Filter - Rocky Mounts Tie-Rod - Build Date: 03.11.2012 - "Houdini"
post #3 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago

Model: SE
Model Year: 2014
Engine: 2.0
Just FYI / to clarify - the EPB was introduced with the 2017 model year.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen; 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone.
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks DJ_SpaRky and Centex.

My Escape is 2017, and I plan to replace the rear pads .

I'm trying to check "Maintenance mode". I bought Haynes manual, but it does not say anything about EPB

I found in below link, it says:
--To replace the rear brake pads, the EPB must be set in the Maintenance Mode before you retract the caliper pistons. You do NOT have to rotate the caliper piston like you did in previous model years

Disable Ford Electronic Parking brake ? Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice | Automotive Repair Tips and How-To

post #5 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago

Model: SE
Model Year: 2014
Another FYI ...

See item 1.b at this post - the definitive genuine Ford Motorcraft Service / Repair Manual, only $22 for 72-hour access and you can print the info to your heart's content.

Just might find you can print / archive lots of other items of interest for future maintenance tasks in that 72 hours.

Just for your consideration.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen; 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone.
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you -
post #6 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago

If you folks can wait until this weekend when Iím back in town, I will see what my 2017 workshop manual instructs.

Traded in my 2013 2.0 Titanium for:
2017 Lightning Blue Titanium | 2.0. | AWD | Pano Roof | Tow Package
Sport Appearance Package | Roof Racks
post #7 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayaiKuruma View Post
If you folks can wait until this weekend when Iím back in town, I will see what my 2017 workshop manual instructs.
Thanks HayaiKuruma. I will wait.
Parts are still on they way, may take several days to deliver.

post #8 of 11 Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bford View Post
Thanks HayaiKuruma. I will wait.
Parts are still on they way, may take several days to deliver.
Yes, there is a warning when servicing the rear brakes.

Service actions on vehicles equipped with electronic parking brakes may cause
unexpected parking brake application, which could result in injury to hands or fingers.
Deactivate the electronic parking brake system prior to servicing or removing rear brake
components. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

Procedure is as follows:

1. Set the ignition to ON.

2. Press and hold the accelerator pedal and place the EPB switch to the RELEASE (downward)
position. Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and EPB.

3. Set the ignition to OFF then set the ignition to ON within 5 seconds. Continue to hold the
accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.

4. NOTE: The EPB system will be deactivated, preventing parking brake application until
service has been completed and service (maintenance) mode has been deactivated. The yellow
EPB indicator will be illuminated and Maintenance Mode will display on the message center.

NOTE: When replacing rear brake pads in service (maintenance) mode, the brake caliper
piston must be compressed into the caliper housing. The brake caliper piston does not have to
be rotated while compressing the piston.

Set the ignition to OFF then release the accelerator pedal and EPB switch.

Deactivation
NOTE: Carry out the following service mode deactivation procedure to activate the EPB system.

2. Press and hold the accelerator pedal and place the EPB switch in the APPLY (upward)
position. Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.

3. Set the ignition to OFF then set the ignition to ON within 5 seconds. Continue to hold the

4. NOTE: The EPB system will fully apply and release the parking brake to guarantee sufficient
air gap between the rear brake pads and brake disc.

Release the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch

Traded in my 2013 2.0 Titanium for:
2017 Lightning Blue Titanium | 2.0. | AWD | Pano Roof | Tow Package
Sport Appearance Package | Roof Racks
post #9 of 11 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you very much, HayaiKuruma.

I will follow the instructions and keep you posted for actual trial results..
chrisgb likes this.

post #10 of 11 Old 13 Hours Ago

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayaiKuruma View Post
Yes, there is a warning when servicing the rear brakes.

Service actions on vehicles equipped with electronic parking brakes may cause
unexpected parking brake application, which could result in injury to hands or fingers.
Deactivate the electronic parking brake system prior to servicing or removing rear brake
components. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

Procedure is as follows:

2. Press and hold the accelerator pedal and place the EPB switch to the RELEASE (downward)
position. Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and EPB.

4. NOTE: The EPB system will be deactivated, preventing parking brake application until
service has been completed and service (maintenance) mode has been deactivated. The yellow
EPB indicator will be illuminated and Maintenance Mode will display on the message center.

NOTE: When replacing rear brake pads in service (maintenance) mode, the brake caliper
piston must be compressed into the caliper housing. The brake caliper piston does not have to
be rotated while compressing the piston.

Set the ignition to OFF then release the accelerator pedal and EPB switch.

Deactivation
NOTE: Carry out the following service mode deactivation procedure to activate the EPB system.

2. Press and hold the accelerator pedal and place the EPB switch in the APPLY (upward)
position. Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.

4. NOTE: The EPB system will fully apply and release the parking brake to guarantee sufficient
air gap between the rear brake pads and brake disc.

Release the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch

Whew, are we really advancing anything with all this stuff?

I miss the days when my car wasn't trying to chop off my fingers during a brake job. LOL