41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Black diaper back on. Looks so much better. Obviously. View attachment 75250
Wow that does look much better. Could you walk through taking the diaper off? Is it easy to damage any pins in the process? Did the bumper snap on afterwards just like it fit before? I absolutely cannot stand car rattle so that’s my biggest concern with modifying trim.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Wow that does look much better. Could you walk through taking the diaper off? Is it easy to damage any pins in the process? Did the bumper snap on afterwards just like it fit before? I absolutely cannot stand car rattle so that’s my biggest concern with modifying trim.
It's documented here in Post 54:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I don't disagree with anything that's been said already.

I already had to remove mine once to install the hitch, so when I did mine, I just took it off again and painted it off the car, but it wouldn't be too hard to do it on as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Heat gun.

I've always used an oven in the past, but this is the first time I've used a heat gun and I don't think I'm ever going back. It worked really well.

One major note on the Escape headlights. They have a little screw in the upper outside corner of the housing/lenses that need to be taken out before removing the lenses. I didn't know that so I ended up stripping both sides out before noticing the end of the screw sticking out of the housing when putting them back together. I've never seen a lens held on with a screw before, it's usually just the glue.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Heat gun.

I've always used an oven in the past, but this is the first time I've used a heat gun and I don't think I'm ever going back. It worked really well.

One major note on the Escape headlights. They have a little screw in the upper outside corner of the housing/lenses that need to be taken out before removing the lenses. I didn't know that so I ended up stripping both sides out before noticing the end of the screw sticking out of the housing when putting them back together. I've never seen a lens held on with a screw before, it's usually just the glue.
Cool... Mine won't fit in my oven anyway...
So the gun worked pretty good, huh?
Small section at a time?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I don't think they would have fit in my oven either but it happened to be cooking a ham at the time. You know, priorities. lol

Yes, one section at a time basically. I tried to get all areas at least warm first then started on the lower inside corner and move out. First with the bottom edge then the top meeting out the outer point. Just heating maybe six inches, peeling open three or so inches, and repeat. They are big headlights so I'd guess they'd cool down too fast with an oven anyways.

·
Registered
70 Posts
In other news after a sequence of event, this happened.

View attachment 75284

View attachment 75285
Looks good! I got impatient and tried the heat gun method. Stopped after a small crack in the clear plastic. Glad yours worked though! Still planning on putting different lenses/lights in? The wife and I were out the other night and she asked me if I had the headlights on. She told me when I got home that I needed to fix that. Anxious to see what you do.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yes, I am. It will probably be more of a winter project, but now that the lights have been opened once, it will be a piece of cake to do it again. I wouldn't mind getting a second set of light too so I don't have time constraints when working on it plus have a spare set in case something goes wrong with a modified set.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
True. If I do a retrofit, I'll be able to black out the low beam area too so that will help with that a lot.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts