Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know its not a 13-14 escape but cant find forum for the year 03
car will idle at 4k rpms the throttle cable is not stuck open nor is the gate its all shut like it should also replace throttle *** sensor a few weeks ago. air must be getting in from some where else any one know of any ideas where to look or what it could be??????????

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
When you say you replaced the throttle sensor do mean the throttle position sensor or the ladle air control valve? Also is the check engine light on?
Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i meant throttle posistion sensor. i dont think there was a check engine light on, i wasnt there when it happend i just took a look at the car today and didnt have keys to start it. i have read online that it could be idle air control valve.
some one also said air could be getting in the motor from some where else. i cant think of anything other than the air filter area and M.A.S
nikk

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I would be looking at the idle air control valve (IAC). It is common for them to get gummed up and stick open. They are relatively cheap and are plug and play (no adjustment needed). If you're going to throw parts at it that would be the one I would start with. The IAC will not turn on the check engine light if its stuck open, only if its shorted or out of spic. If the throttle plate is closed its hard for air to come in from any where else without turning on the check engine light.
Hope this helps.
Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that doesnt cause the gate to open does it? is it a seprate thing? i know its on top of the throttle body.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Which gate are you talking about? Are you talking about the throttle plate?
Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
let me rephrase that so its not so confusing. what im asking is what exactly does the idle air control valve do.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
No, what the IAC does is route air around the throttle plate via ports in font of and behind the throttle plate. This allows the ECM to control the idle of the engine. Ford dose not have the ECM control the idle by moving the throttle plate.
Mark

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Your welcome, I hope it all works out.
Mark

·
Registered
243 Posts
i know its not a 13-14 escape but cant find forum for the year 03
car will idle at 4k rpms the throttle cable is not stuck open nor is the gate its all shut like it should also replace throttle *** sensor a few weeks ago. air must be getting in from some where else any one know of any ideas where to look or what it could be??????????
There is a good forum for the previous incarnation of Escapes at:

Escape City.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Instead of playing wack-a-mole diagnostics and throwing hundreds of dollars worth of parts at an old car, why not take it to a reputable shop who can diagnose the problem with absolute certainty? I love how people try to save themselves money, and end up shooting themselves in the foot because they don't understand what they're doing. Good luck dude, sorry for the asinine post - but do yourself the favor and have a trained driveability technician look at the dang thing and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Instead of playing wack-a-mole diagnostics and throwing hundreds of dollars worth of parts at an old car, why not take it to a reputable shop who can diagnose the problem with absolute certainty? I love how people try to save themselves money, and end up shooting themselves in the foot because they don't understand what they're doing. Good luck dude, sorry for the asinine post - but do yourself the favor and have a trained driveability technician look at the dang thing and be done with it.
I do agree with you, but more than likely its the IAC and its only $35.00 from Rock Auto. I think a prudent course of action would be to replace it and then if that didn't take care of it take it to a professional.
Also I do this for a living, so I know a little of which I speak.
Mark

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
We've been getting more non 2013-2014 Escape threads opening up lately - a few in the last few days. Anyone should feel free to tell the OPs about forums for earlier models or other models, or PM them with your ideas. Thanks.

(Closing this thread)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.