2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In general, how are you guys liking your 1.5 L 3 cylinder engines? Any failures so far? Are they holding up?

·
Registered
2020 Escape
108 Posts
No failures. On 1500 miles on it. Good power, good acceleration, moves fast in sport mode. Averaging 34 mpg mostly highway. 75 mph. Using 87 octane.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad to hear that. I'm almost willing to trade my '19 for a '20 if the IL sales tax wasn't so much. (They tax on both vehicles now.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad to hear that. I'm almost willing to trade my '19 for a '20 if the IL sales tax wasn't so much. (They tax on both vehicles now.)
Around here they're discounting them 7K or more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Does anyone have the “boom” that a few magazines have discussed? The deals on these are very tempting

·
Registered
83 Posts
Some reviews note some type of “boom” or other behavior when cruising in the 3 cylinder, maybe with deactivation? I think it was CR that said this, not sure if it’s a big thing or not. Crickets here may provide the answer. SELs with a pano roof are going for 25k here and are quite tempting

·
Registered
2020 Silver Escape SEL
5 Posts
I’ve read about the boom too. It’s supposed to be between 35-40. I’ve noticed it a few times but it’s intermittent . I read somewhere that using high test gas will eliminate it. I’m impressed with the engine so far. I was worried about the 3 cyl but it’s a peppy little engine - especially in Sport mode!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I drove a 2020 SE with the 1.5L Ecoboost Dragon I-3 for a day while my '18 was in the shop. I wrote up my impression here. The 8-speed auto shortshifts into the higher gears at fairly low rpms, reaching 8th at a lowish 45 mph.
This, coupled with cylinder deactivation produces a low frequency resonance or droning "boom" throughout the interior.

·
Registered
2020 Escape
108 Posts
Just finish a 4000 mile plus trip in my 1.5 2020 Escape. I ran the motor in all the modes. Never head a “boom”. That’s with over 30 hours of driving each way. Driving was continuous hours with gas stops only. Sea level, Flat lands, hills and mountain driving at attitudes over 12,000 plus feet

I read your 1 day review previously. Didn’t make a whole lot of sense to me since I’m not hearing a boom. Besides, I don’t think a day review is much of a review time frame.

I’ve had this Escape since new, 20 miles on the clock. Every car or truck has its own peculiarities. But not what you describe in mine at least.

·
Registered
140 Posts
... I ran the motor in all the modes. Never heard a “boom”. ...
Given the boom is related to engine operation, did you notice the transitions between 2-cyl. and 3-cyl. operation? Could you tell when it dropped a cylinder or picked it back up?
Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts