2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this new 2020 Escape for a month now and I am really getting fed up with the engine vibration from the 3 cyl. engine when the 3rd cylinder is deactivated which is most of the time. It is excessive and the dealer says it is normal. Is there a way the system can be disengaged? I'm getting to the point I want to use the Lemon law.

·
Registered
2020 Escape
109 Posts
Don’t think the lemon law will apply for this. The law involves a vehicle being in for a specific issue a certain number of days/times along with a failure to fix it. The dealer stating it’s normal will not help your case. But each state is different. Your want to lemon law the vehicle because you don’t like a vibration won’t fly. You have to meet a very specific set of criteria. You may want to call a lawyer that specializes in it before you try it

I think it the vibration has more to do with the trans up shifting early. Try putting it in sport mode and see if that helps. As far as I know there is no way to turn off the deactivation.

I would like to have a way, other then placing the vehicle in sport mode to deactivate the early upshift.

It may not be what you want to hear but if you don’t like the way it operates, trade it in on something else.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've had this new 2020 Escape for a month now and I am really getting fed up with the engine vibration from the 3 cyl. engine when the 3rd cylinder is deactivated which is most of the time. It is excessive and the dealer says it is normal. Is there a way the system can be disengaged? I'm getting to the point I want to use the Lemon law.
See if you can test drive another '20 Escape with the same engine & transmission for comparison, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. I got that impression myself when I drove one for a day. I wrote up my experience with it here.

Don’t think the lemon law will apply for this. The law involves a vehicle being in for a specific issue a certain number of days/times along with a failure to fix it. The dealer stating it’s normal will not help your case. But each state is different. Your want to lemon law the vehicle lemoned because you don’t like a vibration won’t fly. You have to meet a very specific set of criteria. You may want to call a lawyer that specializes in it before you try it

I think it the vibration has more to do with the trans up shifting early. Try putting it in sport mode and see if that helps. As far as I know there is no way to turn off the deactivation.

I would like to have a way, other then placing the vehicle in sport mode to deactivate the early upshift.

It may not be what you want to hear
but if you don’t like the way it operates, trade it in on something else.
Select Shift (sport mode) is not available with the 1.5L Dragon I-3 Ecoboost engine in either FWD or AWD. It only has a P-R-N-D-L rotary shifter on the console, but it has eight speeds. The Select Shift 8-spd automatic has shifter paddles on the steering wheel, an is only available with the 2.0L 4 cylinder EcoBoost and all wheel drive on the SEL and Titanium non-hybrid models.

·
Registered
2020 Escape
109 Posts
EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION. This post is a reply to the post just above from chrisdb.

I can select sport mode in my SEL 1.5. I dont have paddle shifters. My escape has these modes available. Normal, eco, sport, slippery, and deep snow/sand. That’s the sport mode I was referring to.

this sport mode adjusts the shift strategy making the trans shift at higher rpms. Maybe you should review the owners manual.

EDIT: Oops just read your signature. You don’t have a 2020 so it would appear you are a little short on info.

·
Registered
2020 Escape
109 Posts
Nope. Replying to chrisgb. I had already replied to the OP

·
Registered
137 Posts
It may be just me, but I don't feel right with engines, that the number of cylinders are prime numbers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah I test drove the 1.5 3cyl on the 2020 Escape and it was very noisy, more so than the 1.5 4cyl on the 2017 that I had. I then drove the 2020 2.0 Titanium, it is incredibly quite, only hear it if i floor it and then it is a good sound. It's really a night and day difference in how much quieter the 2.0 is, not to mention the amount of acceleration you get out of it.

·
Registered
2020 Silver Escape SEL
5 Posts
I read somewhere that trying high test gas might smooth out the 3cyl engine. Mine only does that intermittently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts