2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really interested in fuel economy numbers from you guys, who owns the 2020 model with 1.5L Ecoboost.

Ford claims 27 city, 30 combined and 33 highway.

I drove the new Escape at our lot for a short period. I was easy with it, also more like a combined driving cycle I achieved 34mpg according to the trip meter. Knowing Ford and owning a 2016 with 2.0L I can say that's an overrated number. It is probably around 32-33mpg.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Really interested in fuel economy numbers from you guys, who owns the 2020 model with 1.5L Ecoboost.

Ford claims 27 city, 30 combined and 33 highway.

I drove the new Escape at our lot for a short period. I was easy with it, also more like a combined driving cycle I achieved 34mpg according to the trip meter. Knowing Ford and owning a 2016 with 2.0L I can say that's an overrated number. It is probably around 32-33mpg.
Interesting and surprisingly high numbers, with a smaller than expected difference between city and highway.
Looking at the tech specs, I see that Ford has pushed up the final drive ratios on the new 8-speed tranny, as compared to the old 6-speed.
3.52:1/ 3.81:1 (FWD/AWD) on the 8-speed.
3.21:1; 3.51, (FWD/AWD) on the old 6-speed.
That could explain at least some of the 10% better mileage on the new cars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting and surprisingly high numbers, with a smaller than expected difference between city and highway.
Looking at the tech specs, I see that Ford has pushed up the final drive ratios on the new 8-speed tranny, as compared to the old 6-speed.
3.52:1/ 3.81:1 (FWD/AWD) on the 8-speed.
3.21:1; 3.51, (FWD/AWD) on the old 6-speed.
That could explain at least some of the 10% better mileage on the new cars.
Wouldn't that actually hurt the fuel economy with 3.52 vs 3.21?
Also losing 200lbs helps with fuel economy.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yes the lower final gear, the better mileage,, Noticed they are getting away from the lower profile tires,, lowest now is 55 series,, which before was the highest.. now the highest is 65 series..

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yes, that's right!
The new 8 speed transmission uses a higher gear ratios in addition to new final drive ratio.
0.746:1 (6th Gear)
0.690:1 (8th Gear)
I guess that the combination of the trans and final drive gearing could put the engine in a more efificient power/torque region.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Noticed they are getting away from the lower profile tires,, lowest now is 55 series,, which before was the highest.. now the highest is 65 series..
That makes a lot of sense. If people want to go lower, fine. For the vast majority who don’t pay attention, 45 is way to low. I’ve tried to explain to people why their brand new car with 19’s is so jarring over small depressions. They’re generally not happy with the explanation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the lower final gear, the better mileage,, Noticed they are getting away from the lower profile tires,, lowest now is 55 series,, which before was the highest.. now the highest is 65 series..
Compared to last year's model, these new 19s are 5% taller or 1.4inches taller tires. I personally would go with 18s for comfort.
Also Bridgestone Ecopia is a tire for most Escapes which is surprising, remember the Explorer Firestone fiasco?
I don't like Bridgestone tires, Ford should've kept using Michelin Energy Savers and drop the rest of the inferior tires, especially the Continentals.

·
Registered
771 Posts
That makes a lot of sense. If people want to go lower, fine. For the vast majority who don’t pay attention, 45 is way to low. I’ve tried to explain to people why their brand new car with 19’s is so jarring over small depressions. They’re generally not happy with the explanation.
Yep, I'll up mine to 60 series when these wear...

·
Registered
771 Posts
Compared to last year's model, these new 19s are 5% taller or 1.4inches taller tires. I personally would go with 18s for comfort.
Also Bridgestone Ecopia is a tire for most Escapes which is surprising, remember the Explorer Firestone fiasco?
I don't like Bridgestone tires, Ford should've kept using Michelin Energy Savers and drop the rest of the inferior tires, especially the Continentals.
The M.E. Savers are good rollers, but are noisy, especially during hotter weather....

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
Can we please go back to the discussion of real word economy on the new 1.5 engine. We have a Tire section of the forum if someone wants to discuss tires. I am guessing someone will respond back with how tires are related to fuel economy. That may be, but it’s not related to what the topic of this thread should be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts