2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought there was thread but cannot find it. Love the car hate the gas mileage. Talked to the service manager and said thaty the 23.2 I am getting is right athe expected mark @65/35 highway. Far from the numbers expected and advertised. What is everyone else getting. I have 5000 muiles on the car

·
Registered
127 Posts
That's odd, I know it takes some time after getting a new car till you see the MPG's it was rated for and you are already at 5000 miles, which IMO should be enough to see those MPG's stated on paper.

What's your driving style like?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thought there was thread but cannot find it. Love the car hate the gas mileage. Talked to the service manager and said thaty the 23.2 I am getting is right athe expected mark @65/35 highway. Far from the numbers expected and advertised. What is everyone else getting. I have 5000 muiles on the car
We need more details. AWD? 65 per cent city? Big city heavy traffic? 35 hwy? Cruising @80 MPH? Etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Minimal bumper to bumper traffic. City is a lot of minimal stop 30-35 mph
In this period been real light footed. My old 1.4l 2009 escape got me 24.5 mpg. The highway is a lot of suburban highway where the speed limit 60-65 and I tend to stay within the limits.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Minimal bumper to bumper traffic. City is a lot of minimal stop 30-35 mph
In this period been real light footed. My old 1.4l 2009 escape got me 24.5 mpg. The highway is a lot of suburban highway where the speed limit 60-65 and I tend to stay within the limits.
I'll assume you have a FWD. The city rating for your vehicle is 23 MPG. Since the majority of your driving is city I'd expect your mileage to have a bias to the city rating. The combined rating for your vehicle is 26 MPG (hwy rating Is 33 MPG). So mileage between 23 - 26 MPG is reasonable.

You say suburban highway, is this an Interstate or are there any traffic lights? Do you do a consistent 60 - 65?

Anyway here's what I would do to find out a reasonable estimate of your highway MPG. Go for a drive where you can do a very consistent 60 MPH. Once you're up to speed reset your MPG indicator and start driving. A drive of 50 about miles would be good. Check your average MPH indicator and you should see a number close to 33 MPG.

If that number is OK (about 33) then I don't think there's a fixable problem with your vehicle's mileage. If it's not OK then start working with the dealer. At least you'll be prepared with some data.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I still have around 8k miles on my escape. it is a 1.6 Ecoboost. When I was living in SC gas mileage was 30.2MPG and climbing. Now from 2 months I am in northern OH and it has come down to 28.8 and is falling. Same driving habits, maybe gas is different.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I still have around 8k miles on my escape. it is a 1.6 Ecoboost. When I was living in SC gas mileage was 30.2MPG and climbing. Now from 2 months I am in northern OH and it has come down to 28.8 and is falling. Same driving habits, maybe gas is different.
Fuel differences, weather and a change in city/highway driving mix are all possibilities in explaining the change in MPG.

·
Registered
482 Posts
A drive of 50 about miles would be good. Check your average MPH indicator and you should see a number close to 33 MPG.
Whoops....meant to say: A drive of about 50 miles would be good. Check your average MPG indicator and you should see a number close to 33 MPG.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
My fuel economy has been climbing since its started warming up here in Wisconsin. But I have 2855 on the clock and my last tank was 28.6 mpg, averaging since purchase is 25.8 mpg... I have a 1.6l AWD. I do about 45/55 city/hwy

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the 1.6 turbo AWD with just under 3k miles, and just completed a four day trip to northern Wisconsin from northern Michigan (1400 miles total). My driving was 30% stop and go driving under 45 mph and 70% highway (two and limited access four lane) driving of 45 to 75 mph. I averaged 28.2 mpg.

·
Registered
15 Posts
South Carolina is E-0, meaning no ethanol. Ohio is E-10, meaning 10 percent ethanol.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have the 1.6 turbo AWD with just under 3k miles, and just completed a four day trip to northern Wisconsin from northern Michigan (1400 miles total). My driving was 30% stop and go driving under 45 mph and 70% highway (two and limited access four lane) driving of 45 to 75 mph. I averaged 28.2 mpg.
Looks good! Your numbers are about what I would expect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We just bought a 13 awe 1.6 a few months ago and love the car but hate the mileage as well. We went with the smaller engine thinking my wifes driving style would get better mileage with it, she drives mostly highway 55-70 mph and gets just terrible, Wisconsin is cold but shes getting 20.6 on the last few tanks and the best we've ever got was 26 and I had to keep it about 68mph on a 120 mile trip to get that. Am I missing something? The dealer says theres nothing wrong with the thing, no codes ect but I feel we should be at least getting mid 20's with how its driven.

·
Registered
875 Posts
We have a 1.6T AWD... aprox 6,000 kms (4,000 mi aprox). In city driving bumper to bumper for about 70% of the way, some quick acceleration and aprox 30% 60mph driving... the car will deliver 21.9 mpg... so I am happy with it. Used to a 1.6L elantra which is VERY a fuel saver I am impressed that a heavier AWD car pushing like 80hp more is giving me only 6mpg less.
Using 95oct E10

·
Registered
409 Posts
I should add we have almost 40,000 miles on it.
Seems low, though driver style can make a big difference. We are still at only 3,000 and despite the winter blend are still getting 19-20 around town, 29-30 on trips. Maybe she like to hear that turbo kicking in?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts