2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1.6l EcoBoost oil leaks

59K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  deeeple 
#1 ·
Passenger side. Engine rear oil leak.
2013 1.6 ecoboost sel.
Just changed valve cover gasket.
does t appear to be the turbo pressure line.
Can the timing cover leak oil like this?

, 1.6l, ecoboost, 2013
Auto part Fuel line Engine Automotive engine part Metal

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.

You might need to give it a good pressure wash/ degrease (being careful of the electrics) so you can try to isolate the source. At the moment there are multiple areas covered in oil, so it's impossible see where it's originating from.

Reactions: MoneyPit1946
#4 ·
How long have you owned it- do you know the history of the engine? There are multiple recalls for the 1.6l coolant system. If it's overheated in the past anything is possible and it could be something major like the head/ gasket/ block.

#5 · (Edited)
They make a dye that you can put in the oil and use a "black-light ultraviolet" to view the leak. Now that you cleaned it up the dye should show up quickly, You don't need a great light even an UV bulb in a flash light or work light will do. Amazon has everything you need! They even have several kits. Looking at your pictures I would be very suspicious of that hose (turbo oil feed???) loos like it is extra wet where the line is crimped. You could try sprinkling some fine powder (baby powder or talk) on it and drive a short distance and see if you find a new wet spot.

There was a post a week or two back in this section, and the gentleman had the leak diagnosed as a bad O ring on the variable cam timing solenoid, that is near the timing chain (belt) area I believe. https://www.fordescape.org/threads/...lacement-engine-swap-out.114031/#post-1131594

#7 ·
Thanks guys, the turbo pressure and return were my first suspects. Ive had it running on the hoist and can't see anything coming from that hose. And the oil was dripping off the long bolt at the very top of the picture so I suspected it was above that being the valve cover gasket as it wasn't spraying and oil doesn't drip up.
My assumption, was if it was the pressure line, it would be a constant supply as its under pressure.
My new assumption is that its coming from the block somewhere as I believe the leak probably gets work under boost when the block has a tiny bit of pressure if theres blow by present.
I am now going to look at what involved in pulling of the timing cover and inspecting behind there as I still believe the leak is coming from the top of the motor.
The Dye idea is an excellent one. Im going to also search for that now.

Worst part about this is, its my GF car and I was away with work, sounds like it got low in oil and f'd the bottom end bearings, so this is likely an exercise in buying time until I can find a decent engine for a decent price and then I change the whole lot out. I think thats going to be easier / cheaper than paying a engine builder to pull everything down / inspect and rebuild.
135k miles for reference.
2 owner. well kept, well before this issue lol

#10 ·
So after doing the valve cover gasket I thought I had it. Either it’s a new leak now or I didn’t get it but it did stop after I did the valve cover gasket for a bit.
After buying the uv oil additive and a uv led, I saw it coming from the very top again. Next using a camera scope, I was able to reverse it and see it dripping from the rear oil control valve which made it appear to come from either the timing cover or the valve cover gasket again.
picking up the part from orilleys tomorrow morning and will confirm. Just wanted to update. So the leak went from afew drips to constant spraying out. Part was 116 at Autozone or you can order one at orilleys for around 25.
so it appears it was the variable valve timing oil control valve, exhaust side.

On a side note, the motor has so much blow by now, it might be causing it to spring new leaks in the oil system. Hopefully this will buy enough time to source a low mile long block.

on the video, you can see the squirts of oil every second or 2. This appears to be the worst it’s been and just started.

Attachments

#11 ·
So after doing the valve cover gasket I thought I had it. Either it’s a new leak now or I didn’t get it but it did stop after I did the valve cover gasket for a bit.
After buying the uv oil additive and a uv led, I saw it coming from the very top again. Next using a camera scope, I was able to reverse it and see it dripping from the rear oil control valve which made it appear to come from either the timing cover or the valve cover gasket again.
picking up the part from orilleys tomorrow morning and will confirm. Just wanted to update. So the leak went from afew drips to constant spraying out. Part was 116 at Autozone or you can order one at orilleys for around 25.
so it appears it was the variable valve timing oil control valve, exhaust side.

On a side note, the motor has so much blow by now, it might be causing it to spring new leaks in the oil system. Hopefully this will buy enough time to source a low mile long block.

on the video, you can see the squirts of oil every second or 2. This appears to be the worst it’s been and just started.
Sounds like you are well underway to finding source. Just to add, there was what I consider a major engine recall on SOME 2013 1.6 EB. Key is manufacturing date. Is your vehicle in that date and was the recall work done? Among other things the recall addressed engine cooling and engine fires. As I recall, there were parts added in the recall that involved oil leaks. Do not have recall number handy but I think it started out S13 something.

#12 ·
FYI, anyone having issues with the 1.6L. Here is the recall paper I found.
Mine did have the upgraded heat shield, so I hope the rest has been done along with it.
To check if your car has outstanding recalls, use:

Hope this helps people in the future.

#14 ·
New to this forum, hope I found your post before staring a new thread: 2013 Ford Escape Ecoboost 1.6L engine oil leak

Looks like my source of oil leak is mainly from the LONG BOLT. There are oil stains around the valve gasket, is the valve cover gasket needed to be replaced?
I understand when the valve cover is leaking, there will be oil in and around the spark plugs.. (sometimes causing misfire)

#17 ·
Just took some more pictures, there some oil under the intake side one, not sure it is from the valve cover or VVT. I will change both to be on the safe side.

Also checked my plugs, I was happy to see the first one dry and clean, then the 2nd one from the picture has oil down there, so have to change the valve cover gasket. Mine is only 78K, no misfire so far.

@Bob WishIDidntBuyAFord, sorry to know you end up changing your engine. Best luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.