1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passenger side. Engine rear oil leak.
2013 1.6 ecoboost sel.
Just changed valve cover gasket.
does t appear to be the turbo pressure line.
Can the timing cover leak oil like this?

, 1.6l, ecoboost, 2013
54D8655E-E56C-45A9-8E83-4B097138DFE7.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
1,718 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You might need to give it a good pressure wash/ degrease (being careful of the electrics) so you can try to isolate the source. At the moment there are multiple areas covered in oil, so it's impossible see where it's originating from.

·
Super Moderator
1,718 Posts
How long have you owned it- do you know the history of the engine? There are multiple recalls for the 1.6l coolant system. If it's overheated in the past anything is possible and it could be something major like the head/ gasket/ block.

·
Registered
70 Posts
They make a dye that you can put in the oil and use a "black-light ultraviolet" to view the leak. Now that you cleaned it up the dye should show up quickly, You don't need a great light even an UV bulb in a flash light or work light will do. Amazon has everything you need! They even have several kits. Looking at your pictures I would be very suspicious of that hose (turbo oil feed???) loos like it is extra wet where the line is crimped. You could try sprinkling some fine powder (baby powder or talk) on it and drive a short distance and see if you find a new wet spot.

There was a post a week or two back in this section, and the gentleman had the leak diagnosed as a bad O ring on the variable cam timing solenoid, that is near the timing chain (belt) area I believe. https://www.fordescape.org/threads/camshaft-seal-quote-3k-replacement-engine-swap-out.114031/#post-1131594

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, the turbo pressure and return were my first suspects. Ive had it running on the hoist and can't see anything coming from that hose. And the oil was dripping off the long bolt at the very top of the picture so I suspected it was above that being the valve cover gasket as it wasn't spraying and oil doesn't drip up.
My assumption, was if it was the pressure line, it would be a constant supply as its under pressure.
My new assumption is that its coming from the block somewhere as I believe the leak probably gets work under boost when the block has a tiny bit of pressure if theres blow by present.
I am now going to look at what involved in pulling of the timing cover and inspecting behind there as I still believe the leak is coming from the top of the motor.
The Dye idea is an excellent one. Im going to also search for that now.

Worst part about this is, its my GF car and I was away with work, sounds like it got low in oil and f'd the bottom end bearings, so this is likely an exercise in buying time until I can find a decent engine for a decent price and then I change the whole lot out. I think thats going to be easier / cheaper than paying a engine builder to pull everything down / inspect and rebuild.
135k miles for reference.
2 owner. well kept, well before this issue lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long have you owned it- do you know the history of the engine? There are multiple recalls for the 1.6l coolant system. If it's overheated in the past anything is possible and it could be something major like the head/ gasket/ block.
Checked for recalls, nothing like this.
GFs car and it gets babied. Her brother in law had it for 2 weeks and I suspect he kick the S out of it because it drove funny ever since he had it. Before that, it had plenty of pep. After that, it felt sluggish.

·
Super Moderator
1,718 Posts
Checked for recalls, nothing like this.
One problem with them is they can lose coolant and then overheat. Some have caught fire- apparently from overheating due to the coolant loss, which can lead to the block cracking, causing oil leaks with the oil catching on fire. I was wondering if the engine has overheated in the past (ie. with a previous owner) and that has lead to your oil leak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts