2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ford Escape SE 1.6L AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to upgrade my 2013's power-plant. I currently have a 2013 Escape SE with the AWD. I don't want the hassel of jumping through a dealer at the moment. As far as I have found, the 2.0l engine should drop in almost seamlessly into a vehicle originally equipped with a 1.6l. However what I have found is not very much.

Mechanically everything should fit, however I'm more concerned on the electrical side of things. After calling a few shops, service centers and dealerships, I haven't gotten a solid "we can make it work". I have yet to call livernois for help with their tuning software as the 2.0l ecm is compatible with HP tuners. My main concern is what sort of re/programming of the harness, ecm, CAN Bus, etc needs to be done. And/or who to call to do it. If anyone has any advice on the matter, it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
i would find a Fiesta ST forum, or a Fusion forum where these swaps might have been more plentiful. there might be lots of tidbits to glean.

If this was a Honda you could just slap it in and it would just work. they're like legos.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,716 Posts
You'd be better off trading it in. Or buying a wrecked Escape with the 2.0l and swapping everything- it would still be a nightmare.

Reactions: B1GF1SH

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,368 Posts
Basically you're going to need the entire wiring harness forward of the firewall, fuse box, the PCM, motor mounts, emissions piping, engine, & turbo.
Then you'll need custom programing for the IPC, ABS and PCM as the VIN needs to match and all of your remotes/fobs will need to be added back in.
At this point you've got a car which you may have issues with anytime a shop works on the engine, tranny or ABS because anything they pull up based on the VIN isn't going to match.
You'll need to keep backup copies of all the module configs saved using ForScan so that they can be reloaded with ForScan because if they reload based on the factory AsBuilt you'll have all kinds of strange issues.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I am trying to upgrade my 2013's power-plant. I currently have a 2013 Escape SE with the AWD. I don't want the hassel of jumping through a dealer at the moment. As far as I have found, the 2.0l engine should drop in almost seamlessly into a vehicle originally equipped with a 1.6l. However what I have found is not very much.

Mechanically everything should fit, however I'm more concerned on the electrical side of things. After calling a few shops, service centers and dealerships, I haven't gotten a solid "we can make it work". I have yet to call livernois for help with their tuning software as the 2.0l ecm is compatible with HP tuners. My main concern is what sort of re/programming of the harness, ecm, CAN Bus, etc needs to be done. And/or who to call to do it. If anyone has any advice on the matter, it would be much appreciated.
It appears from previous comments that this project is not going to take effect 'almost seamlessly' as you suggest and is bound to cause you headaches down the track even if you manage to swap the engine and electrics over successfully.
Obviously the better option, in my view anyway, is to sell or trade your 1.6L car and buy the 2L model you desire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Basically you're going to need the entire wiring harness forward of the firewall, fuse box, the PCM, motor mounts, emissions piping, engine, & turbo.
Then you'll need custom programing for the IPC, ABS and PCM as the VIN needs to match and all of your remotes/fobs will need to be added back in.
At this point you've got a car which you may have issues with anytime a shop works on the engine, tranny or ABS because anything they pull up based on the VIN isn't going to match.
You'll need to keep backup copies of all the module configs saved using ForScan so that they can be reloaded with ForScan because if they reload based on the factory AsBuilt you'll have all kinds of strange issues.
I was sure of this from the start, that many electronics would need to be swapped and reprogrammed. I already do all my own service and repairs, except for when some specialty machine is required such as a/c service. ForScan, as you described seems to be the software/tool I'm looking for. My plan is to get a donor car from somewhere, such as Copart, with the desired engine and components, so that everything I might need is there.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'd be better off trading it in. Or buying a wrecked Escape with the 2.0l and swapping everything- it would still be a nightmare.
Getting a wrecked one with the desired engine is the goal. Part of the reason I don't want to get rid of this chassis in particular is because of the sentimental value for this car. That and I crave headaches in the name of research and discovery.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yoiu can buy full engines from places like lkqonline.com. When our 2.5L died, they had one with only 23k miles on it for about $400. Which is nearly as cheap as dragging one out of pull-a-part yourself. Now, I was lucky in that LKQ has a warehouse/yard only a few miles up the road, so i was able to rent a pickup from UHaul and picked it up myself, so no shipping costs. I'm sure you've got some yards nearby with similar.
Of course it'll drop right in, the vehicle is sold with this engine. What'll kill you are the 3,005 tiny things you never thought about that are just slightly different. This bolt a different size, that hole just a centimeter too far to the right, this bracket sticks out too far, etc. Now, besides the wire harnesses, motor mounts, and a couple hours spent reprogramming every module in the car with a new As-Built configuration, your current transmission has a different bolt pattern than the 2.0L. Either you need that tranny as well, or you need to swap the bellhousings on them--if you find that your current one is in better shape and don't want to trade down to one that's beat up. However that's just a minor side task when you're talking about a full motor swap.
I thought you said something about avoiding hassle? :LOL:

·
Registered
49 Posts
The two best out now are the OBDLink EX and the Vgate Vlinker FS. Both USB--you do not want to do anything more serious than clearing codes with bluetooth adapters.
Of these two, both are solid brands, both can talk on the HS and MS CANbusses simultaneously without flipping a switch thousand times, both can do configuration updates or load entire cofig files up (which you'll want to do), but I recommend the Vgate, for two reasons: first, it is the only non-J2534 adapter that can actually flash new firmware files to modules (the J2534 protocol is the one used by the pro grade adapters that generally sell for several hundred to a couple grand), and second, it's only $35, compared to the OBDLink's $60. The ability to download and update module firmware at-will has been so handy for me.
And a one-year extended license for Forscan to allow you do to the more advanced stuff is only $12.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yoiu can buy full engines from places like lkqonline.com. When our 2.5L died, they had one with only 23k miles on it for about $400. Which is nearly as cheap as dragging one out of pull-a-part yourself. Now, I was lucky in that LKQ has a warehouse/yard only a few miles up the road, so i was able to rent a pickup from UHaul and picked it up myself, so no shipping costs. I'm sure you've got some yards nearby with similar.
Of course it'll drop right in, the vehicle is sold with this engine. What'll kill you are the 3,005 tiny things you never thought about that are just slightly different. This bolt a different size, that hole just a centimeter too far to the right, this bracket sticks out too far, etc. Now, besides the wire harnesses, motor mounts, and a couple hours spent reprogramming every module in the car with a new As-Built configuration, your current transmission has a different bolt pattern than the 2.0L. Either you need that tranny as well, or you need to swap the bellhousings on them--if you find that your current one is in better shape and don't want to trade down to one that's beat up. However that's just a minor side task when you're talking about a full motor swap.
I thought you said something about avoiding hassle?
I haven't been able to get both the long blocks in front of me to measure the bell housing bolt pattern. My plan is to use a donor/wrecked titanium/SE with the 2L. That way any and all components are available.
The 1.6 and 2.0 fwd/Awd both use the same 6f35, with different final drives in the differentials. Something 2.96 vs 3.07. Do you know for a fact the bell housing patterns on the block are different? Thus resulting in a different bell housing adapted onto the transmission?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I haven't been able to get both the long blocks in front of me to measure the bell housing bolt pattern. My plan is to use a donor/wrecked titanium/SE with the 2L. That way any and all components are available.
The 1.6 and 2.0 fwd/Awd both use the same 6f35, with different final drives in the differentials. Something 2.96 vs 3.07. Do you know for a fact the bell housing patterns on the block are different? Thus resulting in a different bell housing adapted onto the transmission?

Don’t forget, there are now 2 different versions of the 2.0l. 2017 is the changeover year. Parts for one, won’t necessarily work with the other.
#donttrytodoit #itwillbeanightmare

1 - 12 of 12 Posts