2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, a bit anxious here.

My 2.0 AWD 15' escape is now avg 12.4 MPG. This with very conservative driving, non aggressive, and taking all available opportunities to maintain momentum. This is 55% highway, 45% city.

This is my first full fuel tank after a transmission fix (transmission converter went bad). That car was at the shop for about 7 weeks.

What do you guys think? Should I drive 2 or 3 more full fuel tanks to see if the computer gets adjusted again?

Many thanks

·
Registered
521 Posts
I certainly lost a few MPG when my transmission was rebuilt and reinstalled. Still, I am at 20 -21 MPG.
Fill the tank, reset the trip odometer and run the tank empty, Then calculate the real MPG by dividing the miles on the trip odometer by the gallons you pump in to refill the tank back up. Your computer could be quite different than it really is. Also check your RPM and engine loudness. Maybe your rebuilt transmission ot not allowing access to high gears and you are basically burning fuel with higher RPM. If nothing makes sense, bring it back to the repair shop and have them look into while it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,315 Posts
Did the shop reset the customizations ?
The PCM employs adaptive learning and if this wasn't cleared the PCM doesn't know that it has a shiny new tranny.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I certainly lost a few MPG when my transmission was rebuilt and reinstalled. Still, I am at 20 -21 MPG.
Fill the tank, reset the trip odometer and run the tank empty, Then calculate the real MPG by dividing the miles on the trip odometer by the gallons you pump in to refill the tank back up. Your computer could be quite different than it really is. Also check your RPM and engine loudness. Maybe your rebuilt transmission ot not allowing access to high gears and you are basically burning fuel with higher RPM. If nothing makes sense, bring it back to the repair shop and have them look into while it is still under warranty.
I wanted to hope for that, but after a few thanks the MPG is at 11-12 (calculated by hand). I got a catalytic converter error message a couple of days ago, so I sent it to the shop. Probably the O2 sensors are not functioning well based on the catalytic issue and is causing the low MPG issue.

P.S. RPM suggestion was good! but it seems

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the shop reset the customizations ?
The PCM employs adaptive learning and if this wasn't cleared the PCM doesn't know that it has a shiny new tranny.
I think it did. What I was also thinking (apart from the O2 sensors) was the gears timings, could those be an issue?

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,315 Posts
Those are controlled by the PCM.

·
Registered
521 Posts
@GCrimson The O2 sensors could certainly account for a dramatic fuel consumption different. I've had that happen on my old truck. Sometimes problems just happen to "tag along" with recent changes (like your transmission). Keep us posted and good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts