2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I purchased a 2014 Ford Escape SE AWD. In the first 1000 miles, I notice a "bounce" with every bump and my coffee mug and other items in the passenger seat lightly bounce/vibrate continually. Also my head and body are alway bouncing.

I took to the dealer and they did a suspension test and tire pressure test and all looked "normal". Tech and I went for a test drive and he said "I've driving 30-40 Escapes and this seems to drive the same". I have 18" Contipro Continental tires.

Has anyone faced similar issues? Have thoughts on a solution or is this normal?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Take it to a tire shop and have them spin balance and check tires for a broken belt. It sounds like a tire problem and sometimes dealer's aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer when it comes to tire issues.
Mark

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Last week I purchased a 2014 Ford Escape SE AWD. In the first 1000 miles, I notice a "bounce" with every bump and my coffee mug and other items in the passenger seat lightly bounce/vibrate continually. Also my head and body are alway bouncing.

I took to the dealer and they did a suspension test and tire pressure test and all looked "normal". Tech and I went for a test drive and he said "I've driving 30-40 Escapes and this seems to drive the same". I have 18" Contipro Continental tires.

Has anyone faced similar issues? Have thoughts on a solution or is this normal?
Tilden76,

Let me see how I can help. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info; I'll take a look.

Ashley

·
Registered
3 Posts
unbelievable, I just got done saying to my wife this thing seems "bouncy" compared to our pilot and tahoe on the same roads. Only 1k miles but it is a stiffer suspension for sure. It is noticeable but not a big enough deal to goto the dealer (yet).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine did the same thing- titanium with 19s . My wife felt like she was on a carnival ride.

Brought tire pressure to 38 and the bouncing virtually disappeared.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Take it to a tire shop and have them spin balance and check tires for a broken belt. It sounds like a tire problem and sometimes dealer's aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer when it comes to tire issues.
Mark
Yes, proper balancing will cure the problem. Yes, it should be done by a reputable tire shop, not a dealership.
Plus, a lot of times, if you have a defective tire, the tire maker's authorized shops are who needs to handle the warranty stuff.
You will probably have to pay for the balancing, but it will be worth it.

I have 17" Conti's and no matter if I run the "door sticker pressure" or higher they roll very smoothly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Several of us just got this exact same model as our new company vehicles in January and we all drive about 3,000-5,000 miles every month and everyone comments that this vehicle's ride is very "bouncy" too. I've read the other posts about tire balancing, pressure etc...and I just think it's inherent to the vehicle itself and I/we all just hope it doesn't get any worse over the next 70-80 thousand miles we have to put on them before we get to turn them in.

I'll keep coming back here though, just in case someone finds a solution to it!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Go to a tire shop and have your tires balanced! That will eliminate the most obvious.
Mark

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,222 Posts
Several of us just got this exact same model as our new company vehicles in January and we all drive about 3,000-5,000 miles every month and everyone comments that this vehicle's ride is very "bouncy" too. I've read the other posts about tire balancing, pressure etc...and I just think it's inherent to the vehicle itself and I/we all just hope it doesn't get any worse over the next 70-80 thousand miles we have to put on them before we get to turn them
I agree with this. The way the car bounces, it doesn't seem like it could be the tires. I will still get this checked out just to rule it out.

On my van it had a couple unbalanced tires last year and that did not feel like anything close to a "bouncy ride". I could tell right away I had unbalanced tires. My FE bounces over any bump in the road. If I'm luck to find a perfectly smooth road, then it is not quite as noticeable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sometimes, you will see a car on the highway that has lost a balance weight from a wheel.
At highway speed, that wheel is literally bouncing off and on the pavement hundreds of times a minute.
The whole car is is also bouncing and vibrating up and down.

Yes, the first thing to do is have the wheels checked and balanced as required.

Suspension won't cause this type of oscillation unless it is tired, old and worn out - many tens of thousands of miles down the road.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Yes, proper balancing will cure the problem. Yes, it should be done by a reputable tire shop, not a dealership.
Plus, a lot of times, if you have a defective tire, the tire maker's authorized shops are who needs to handle the warranty stuff.
You will probably have to pay for the balancing, but it will be worth it.

I have 17" Conti's and no matter if I run the "door sticker pressure" or higher they roll very smoothly.
Same here, smooth, no bounce: 19" Contis - including when the tires were under pressured (low pressure light came on - cold weather) and when filled.

I asked someone who drove her parents' Escape 800+ miles over a couple of days if she thought it was bouncy, and she said no, was surprised by the question.

But the "bouncy" complaint has come up enough you have to wonder.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,222 Posts
Same here, smooth, no bounce: 19" Contis - including when the tires were under pressured (low pressure light came on - cold weather) and when filled.

I asked someone who drove her parents' Escape 800+ miles over a couple of days if she thought it was bouncy, and she said no, was surprised by the question.

My wife says it doesn't bounce and she thinks I just like to complain. I really don't understand how she doesn't notice it. :)

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I don't find the Escape's ride bouncy in general, but I do think that it is sensitive to repeated pavement irregularities (such has concrete seams), perhaps because of the shortish wheelbase. On a smooth, well-paved road, with properly inflated tires, the ride is good. But flaws in the paving do get noticed, and transferred to the passenger compartment a bit.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't find the Escape's ride bouncy in general, but I do think that it is sensitive to repeated pavement irregularities (such has concrete seams), perhaps because of the shortish wheelbase. On a smooth, well-paved road, with properly inflated tires, the ride is good. But flaws in the paving do get noticed, and transferred to the passenger compartment a bit.
Yes, one of the characteristics of SUV type vehicles - short wheelbase, stiff suspension, higher center of gravity.
Personally, I like to feel the road, so I know what I'm up against.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
OK, here is a quick way to tell if their is something wrong with your tires or rims, find the smoothest road you can with little or no bumps, drive at a consistent speed and if it is still bouncy than it's the tires or wheels. If it's not bouncy it's the suspension.
Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ended up taking to the dealership two more times. The second time they found 3 of 4 tires were out of balance (first visit to dealer they didn't check tire balance). I took it back two weeks later and ran the tires through the road tester and found one tire out of balance (they didn't have notes handy to know if this was one of the original 3 out of balance or the 4th tire).

After three visits to dealer, I still feel it has a slight bounce, but better after the second visit where they balanced 3 of 4 tires. Don't think the third visit fixed much.

I will continue to watch posts to see if anyone else comments about the bounce or if they have complaints about the tires (brand, size/18", etc.). I would expect a smoother ride from a 2014 with 2000 miles

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine feels the same when in the city,cruising at 20-30 miles. That's because (unfortunately) of the suspension! My wheels are 17"+Hankook Dynapro,so I test different tyre pressures(32-35psi). On the highway no problem,my Kuga 1.6 ecoboost runs smooth,no unbalanced tires problem.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Have they checked the alignment? When it's on the lift did they do the wiggle test, are the tires on tight and can't wiggle them. Perhaps, the tires may not be the answer but the result of something else.
Can they prove out that it's not the tires nor the rims?

Obviously, you bringing back and they keep doing the same thing is a waste of time.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts